Menu

I need some math advice (Singapore with Miquon)

podoba01

Hi,

I started Rightstart math with my 4yo this fall, but it didn't really seem to click for either of us. We didn't get very far with it, but I think I will keep the math games book & cards to add some drill to the mix later. I really wanted it to work, sigh. Let the math curriculum merry-go-round begin :bored:

I think my daughter might prefer more of a workbook approach. I am considering Singapore Earlybirds (Standards Edition), but I am wondering if I can do without the teacher's guide (about $100 for the year), or do the guides add a lot of help that I would miss? I am also considering playing with miquon as well. Would this be too much or too confusing to do both at the same time? Has anyone used both of these programs either together or separately? Is the a steep learning curve with Miquon for someone who loves math but only gets it after someone demonstrates how to do it?

Did you look at mep? That is free.

http://www.cimt.plym...mep/default.htm

You will not need teacher guide for early bird. It is quite easy to teach.

Thanks for the fast reply. I looked at it before, and it just didn't interest me at the time, but I will take another look. I appreciate the information about the TG for Singapore. That will save me some money.

Hi,

I started Rightstart math with my 4yo this fall, but it didn't really seem to click for either of us. We didn't get very far with it, but I think I will keep the math games book & cards to add some drill to the mix later. I really wanted it to work, sigh. Let the math curriculum merry-go-round begin :bored:

I think my daughter might prefer more of a workbook approach. I am considering Singapore Earlybirds (Standards Edition), but I am wondering if I can do without the teacher's guide (about $100 for the year), or do the guides add a lot of help that I would miss? I am also considering playing with miquon as well. Would this be too much or too confusing to do both at the same time? Has anyone used both of these programs either together or separately? Is the a steep learning curve with Miquon for someone who loves math but only gets it after someone demonstrates how to do it?

I used Miquon and Singapore with my K4-er.

I wouldn't spend $100 for a teacher's guide for that level! I wonder if that's a classroom guide? Anyway, I used SM Essentials (much better than Early Bird imo) for about $15-$20 a workbook. The lessons at the bottom of each page were adequate for teaching her, especially when I used a Miquon approach to them.

Miquon and Singapore are beautiful together.

I think that the steep learning curve for Miquon will be for you as an instructor (it was for me). I recommend taking a couple of hours to read through First Grade Diary so that you get a feel for how Miquon works as a math approach. Check out Rosie's videos at Education Unboxed and play some of the games. After a while I found that I was just using Miquon approaches to teach lessons for Singapore.

I use SM Essentials with my Kinder. I'm planning on starting Miquon with him. I haven't decided if I want to do Miquon and MEP, or Miquon and SM, but either of those would be great. My oldest ds completed the Miquon program and I love it and look forward to doing it again with my younger kids. I do however feel that Miquon needs something along with it.

I used SM EarlyBird A and B and Miquon Orange book with some MEP Reception thrown in. I don't think that you need the SM Home Instructor's Guide or the Teacher's guide at all for this stage. I have heard that SM Essentials was a lot better, but my DS at 4 loved colorful pictures and the EB was full of them and helped retain the interest of a 4 year old who could hardly sit down and work let alone focus for 20 minutes on math. In contrast, Essential Math is mostly black and white and may appeal to a kid who does not like "busy" pages in the math book. Since I used EB, I decided to move on to 1A Standards edition much earlier (before 5 years). The transition has been smooth.

We did Miquon simultaneously with Cuisenaire rods (about twice a week) and MEP once a week (I picked what pages to do and did not go through each section of it). It has worked out great so far.

So, I think that you are making great choices. Go for it!