Menu

good video/documentary resources for Crusades?

Does anyone have suggestions for good videos/documentaries about the Crusades? I am pretty sure none would be suitable for my 7yo student (but be so happy to hear of any that are suitable!), so I'm mainly thinking about my own education. For these purposes, I was hoping documentary-style and not official lectures (a la Teaching Company); I hope to hit the Official Lecture route when we cycle 'round to the Logic years.

thanks in advance!

I have requested from our library, for self-education, three books and I'll put them onto the thread FWIW

The New Concise History of the Crusades (supposed to be a good introduction, gives insight into both the noble goals -- which is what I myself need more of -- & the unfortunate realities)

The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Lands (very strong editorial reviews; apparently the author is outstanding)

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes (also excellent editorial reviews & authorship; considered relevant to understanding the contemporary Middle East)

Terry Jones' "Crusades" sounds ideal! I was charmed by his "Story of 1" .

There's the History Channel's Crusades, which I don't think looks perfect but may be worth a watch. Esp. if it's at my library ... ETA: below, Matroyshka reports that her boys shun History Channel documentaries as superficial in content and low in production value. I only listed it here b/c Terry Jones' version seems to focus on the actrocities/shortcomings of the Christian Crusaders which is something I'm already very aware of. I especially am interested in a better understanding of what the good leaders in the Christian West were trying to accomplish in the Crusades, and in a better understanding of the Muslim world at the time esp. regards the causes & realities of the weakening Islamic empire.

I have requested from our library, for self-education, three books and I'll put them onto the thread FWIW

The New Concise History of the Crusades (supposed to be a good introduction, gives insight into both the noble goals -- which is what I myself need more of -- & the unfortunate realities)

The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Lands (very strong editorial reviews; apparently the author is outstanding)

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes(also excellent editorial reviews & authorship; considered relevant to understanding the contemporary Middle East)

Thank you for these book suggestions. Learning more about the Crusades has been on my "wanting to do" list.

Kathleen

Terry Jones' "Crusades" sounds ideal! I was charmed by his "Story of 1" .

The Story of 1 is awesome! Terry Jones also has videos on the Middle Ages and maybe Egypt?

There's the History Channel's Crusades, which I don't think looks perfect but may be worth a watch. Esp. if it's at my library ...

My kids got really, really picky about what documentaries they would watch. They boycotted all History Channel as being superficial and having low production values (like the same one or two reenactment scenes being replayed over and over and over and... over in one show). Y'know, they have a point...

They declared PBS and BBC documentaries to be their preferred ones. Except for Michael Wood - for some reason they hate him, although I quite liked his Search for Alexander and History of India.

• 4 weeks later...