Menu

Can you freeze homemade Pad Thai?

Rebecca VA

I'm going to make some frozen lunches for my husband to take to work with him. It's a Valentine's present -- one month of frozen lunches. I think it'll be a welcome gift, since he has been taking PB&J to work for many months.

The latest issue of Cooking Light arrived yesterday, and there's a recipe for Classic Pad Thai. It contains extra-firm tofu and small dried shrimp. Will those ingredients freeze well after they're put into the Pad Thai? Has anyone ever made Pad Thai and frozen it for, say, a month or two?

Trader Joe's had Pad Thai in the frozen food section so I assume that can be done.

I had cooked Pad Thai but have not freeze leftovers. I have just kept the leftovers in a microwaveable container in the refrigerator. The rice stick noodles might get brittle in the freezer.

Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't think that the noodles would reheat well--they could either dry out in the freezer or be too soggy if re-nuked. We like to eat soups with rice noodles, so we have the broth ready in the freezer and make fresh noodles each time.

Oh, dear -- I went shopping for ingredients this afternoon. I even drove 20 minutes away to an Asian supermarket to get dried baby shrimp. I've got two huge bags of bean sprouts as well as other perishables -- the Pad Thai is just going to have to be made.

"Happy Valentine's Day, dear! I made you 24 delicious frozen lunches!! Eat them and enjoy them, or die."