Menu

Life Skills Ages 2-18

Twigs

Good list, except I don't know about basic electrical repairs. That seems a bit risky for most kids (maybe even most adults) to do. I think my kids would score pretty well on this list.

Out of my three kids who have reached the age of 12, I would only really trust my current 12 year old with this sort of thing. He's systematic and meticulous enough when it comes to such things. The others, yeah, maybe not so much. They know how to do some plumbing repairs in theory, but in practice, it's their brother who has actually done them. the older two were able, at not quite 12 and 13, to paint a bathroom completely on their own, including prep and cleanup.

According to the list I have definitely failed. It says a 6 year old should be able to organize his own drawers and closet. I can't even get my 16 year old to do that!

Can and DOES are two different things. Any of my dc CAN organize their rooms, the playroom, the schoolroom, even the kitchen and pantry, including going to town with the labeler. Do these spaces usually look like that? Umm ... not even close.