Menu

So is the turtle dead or what?

Renthead Mommy

I spent the day with her today----- it was dead.

After a day of watching it and keeping it warm, DH got home and declared it dead.

Lara

:crying: :crying: :crying:

I know this is stupid, but I'm feeling really sad about the turtle. I was really thinking that he might still be alive.

I'm such a sentimental idiot.

If she only has Internet at McD's then I'll have to send her some McD's gift cards so she can visit more often. Or Panera, or Starbucks...

She said no internet at home yet. Is she REALLY going to make us wait until she can get back to McD's or the library or somewhere to let us know the fate of Mr. Turtle?

Aubrey? Aubrey?

I dunno about really dead...

I had some piranha (back in the day, quite large and now very illegal I'm sure) - and long story short, big storm came and knocked out the power in the dead of winter. This was a BIG tank- and it froze solid as a brick with the fish suspended in solid ice.

Few days later the power came back, water took forever to melt, and when I picked one up out of the ice it was rock hard. I took it and tapped it on the table, solid as can be. I didn't know exactly "what" to do with it, so I threw it back in the slush and thought, "I'll pitch them on garbage day."

Well I'll be if I didn't come home and those two beasts were swimming around in the water. They had to have been like that for a good week.

Mr. Tap On The Table swam with a funky bend though....

I say get that turtle, stick him in a box and place in the garage or something. He might still have a trick or two up his shell.

I dunno about really dead...

I had some piranha (back in the day, quite large and now very illegal I'm sure) - and long story short, big storm came and knocked out the power in the dead of winter. This was a BIG tank- and it froze solid as a brick with the fish suspended in solid ice.

Few days later the power came back, water took forever to melt, and when I picked one up out of the ice it was rock hard. I took it and tapped it on the table, solid as can be. I didn't know exactly "what" to do with it, so I threw it back in the slush and thought, "I'll pitch them on garbage day."

Well I'll be if I didn't come home and those two beasts were swimming around in the water. They had to have been like that for a good week.

Mr. Tap On The Table swam with a funky bend though....

I say get that turtle, stick him in a box and place in the garage or something. He might still have a trick or two up his shell.

Where was this tank? In a house?

So dead the first time or dead the second time, I'd want to dig it up in a couple of weeks after the squish parts have decomposed. Turtle shells are awesome. I'd totally want that "to remember him by". Okay that's the line I'd tell the kid to get us over the dig up issue, but truthfully I'd just want a tutle shell to put on my shelf of funky school/animal paraphernalia.

Well, it's a difficult issue with turtles. A few years ago, one of ds's (the middle boy - budding herpetologist) turtles "died". I mean seriously, we gave this thing all kinds of attention and warmth to see if it was hibernating and finally dh declared it dead. He was buried. About two years later, ds was online with some herpteologists here in Michigan discussing the hibernation cycles and the intensity of them with these reptile geniuses, and he was heart-broken to discover that he'd probably buried his turtle alive. He was so hard to console. The appearance of dead that these critters can do trumps a possum exponentially! Seriously, you could use the big ones for door stops for a couple of months at a time!

When his second turtle decided to hibernate after we'd changed out his aquarium, given him a bigger one, put in some new plants, etc. - they like to hibernate after a big life change :toetap05: - I don't care how dead it looked, we just kept keeping on like he was as chipper as a chipmunk, sometimes I felt so stupid talking to what looked like a reptilian rock. Three months later, he woke up and started swimming around the aquarium. Peacock eels will do this same thing...well, not hibernate, but escape their tanks. I'm not kidding, they are escape artists extraordinaire. They can survive several hours outside of water. Found ds's once under his bed after being gone easily 6 hours and the dumb thing looked hideous - I would not be surprised if the cat hadn't played with it until she got bored. Ds picked him up by his tail, tossed him back in the tank, and it sank before floating. It was gross. I seriously wanted to add him to the pet cemetary in the yard. A couple hours later he started swimming around his tank and eating. I.was.dumbfounded.

Ds's new rule with herps (reptiles, amphibians, and some aquatic animals) is that until he can afford a doplar sensitive enough to check for heart sounds, they are not dead until they stink. Stink means "all dead, go through their pockets and look for loose change!" Well, or practically self-mummified. He worked and worked with a chinese water dragon that had a serious self-destruct mode. At one point I said, "Enough already. I'm tired of looking at that carcass. It's all dead. Give up." "He wouldn't bury it until it pretty much shriveled."

Come to think of it, this child is going to wear me out before I can get him out of her! LOL the only critter he keeps that I have any affinity for is the tree frog and that stupid thing tries to make me think it's dead. It burrows into it's moss, sand, etc. when it's not hungry and doesn't come out for days. GAH....I end up tunneling through there with a stir stick looking for the little mongrel. Inevitably I find it and it looks AWFUL!!! He'll be so grey he's practically black and I'll watch for several minutes, not be able to see any signs of life, and then finally prod him gently with the stick. Stupid frog pops his head up and I swear the look on his face is, "STUPID WOMAN!!!! How many times do we have to go over this? Leave.me.alone." Sigh....when he's hanging from a tree branch or perched on the glass, he is a gorgeous shade of light green. Makes me so mad.

So, I guess that if the turtle was showing signs of decomposition or stinking (usually the first sign) then, yep, bury the sucker. If not, I'd be putting it in a shoe box and heading down to the university. If memory serves Colorado State U has a herpetology research option for undergrads which means they have lots of weirdos like my ds puttering around campus who'd like nothing more than to diagnose the turtle. Dr. Gary Packard 404-491-5376 - he's the Dept. Chair in Biology and could probably point Aubrey to a qualified person. If she doesn't live anywhere near Colorado State, I bet they would still know of amateur herpetologists in her area that would take a look at the thing.

I would really hate for them to find out later that they buried their turtle alive. Certainly, if that ends up being the case, trust me, DON'T TELL THE KIDS!!!!

Faith

Well, it's a difficult issue with turtles. A few years ago, one of ds (the middle boy - budding herpetologist) "died". I mean seriously, we gave this thing all kinds of attention and warmth to see if it was hibernating and finally dh declared it dead. He was buried. About two years later, ds was online with some herpteologists here in Michigan discussing the hibernation cycles and the intensity of them with these reptile geniuses, and he was heart-broken to discover that he'd probably buried his turtle alive. He was so hard to console. The appearance of dead that these critters can do trumps a possum exponentially! Seriously, you could use the big ones for door stops for a couple of months at a time!

When his second turtle decided to hibernate after we'd changed out his aquarium, given him a bigger one, put in some new plants, etc. - they like to hibernate after a big life change :toetap05: - I don't care how dead it looked, we just kept keeping on like he was as chipper as a chipmunk, sometimes I felt so stupid talking to what looked like a reptilian rock. Three months later, he woke up and started swimming around the aquarium. Peacock eels will do this same thing...well, not hibernate, but escape their tanks. I'm not kidding, they are escape artists extraordinaire. They can survive several hours outside of water. Found ds's once under his bed after being gone easily 6 hours and the dumb thing looked hideous - I would not be surprised if the cat hadn't played with it until she got bored. Ds picked him up by his tail, tossed him back in the tank, and it sank before floating. It was gross. I seriously wanted to add him to the pet cemetary in the yard. A couple hours later he started swimming around his tank and eating. I.was.dumbfounded.

Ds's new rule with herps (reptiles, amphibians, and some aquatic animals) is that until he can afford a doplar sensitive enough to check for heart sounds, they are not dead until they stink. Stink means "all dead, go through their pockets and look for loose change!" Well, or practically self-mummified. He worked and worked with a chinese water dragon that had a serious self-destruct mode. At one point I said, "Enough already. I'm tired of looking at that carcass. It's all dead. Give up." "He wouldn't bury it until it pretty much shriveled."

Come to think of it, this child is going to wear me out before I can get him out of her! LOL the only critter he keeps that I have any affinity for is the tree frog and that stupid thing tries to make me think it's dead. It burrows into it's moss, sand, etc. when it's not hungry and doesn't come out for days. GAH....I end up tunneling through there with a stir stick looking for the little mongrel. Inevitably I find it and it looks AWFUL!!! He'll be so grey he's practically black and I'll watch for several minutes, not be able to see any signs of life, and then finally prod him gently with the stick. Stupid frog pops his head up and I swear the look on his face is, "STUPID WOMAN!!!! How many times do we have to go over this? Leave.me.alone." Sigh....when he's hanging from a tree branch or perched on the glass, he is a gorgeous shade of light green. Makes me so mad.

So, I guess that if the turtle was showing signs of decomposition or stinking (usually the first sign) then, yep, bury the sucker. If not, I'd be putting it in a shoe box and heading down to the university. If memory serves Colorado State U has a herpetology research option for undergrads which means they have lots of weirdos like my ds puttering around campus who'd like nothing more than to diagnose the turtle. Dr. Gary Packard 404-491-5376 - he's the Dept. Chair in Biology and could probably point Aubrey to a qualified person. If she doesn't live anywhere near Colorado State, I bet they would still know of amateur herpetologists in her area that would take a look at the thing.

I would really hate for them to find out later that they buried their turtle alive. Certainly, if that ends up being the case, trust me, DON'T TELL THE KIDS!!!!

Faith

Hey Faith, fix your second sentence. It's missing a noun.

Not really clear what died.

Edited to add: You're welcome!!!