Menu

Handwriting: Ascenders and Descenders Don't Exist for DS7

My DS7 has been doing HWOT this school year (first as after-schooling, and now in home school), and yet still does not at all write with ascenders or descenders on his own. Everything is the same size (including capital letters). I point the need out for making the ascenders and descenders properly, and he just doesn't get it. He will erase his work, and if I point to where the ascender/descender should be, he will make it, but only if I tell him. Every. Single. Time. We write with the three-lined paper for everything. He is adjusting to glasses, which I hope helps.

Do any of you experienced folks have thoughts on this? We have been working this for *months* with no noticeable improvement.

My kid does this too....grrrr.....

Well, sometimes he does ascenders, but never descenders. He seems to have a moral objection to writing below that bottom line!

I found some handwriting paper that has a descender line, like the ones see here: http://www.worksheetworks.com/english/writing/handwriting.html I'm hoping that might give him the right idea...

But if anyone else has tips: :bigear:

My son didn't want to do descenders last year. So, I posted here and someone gave me the suggestion of having him sit on a chair and talk about how his legs were hanging down like descenders. We also stood tall on the chair to talk about letters that touch the tippy top. This completely clicked with my son and he hasn't really had any objections to dropping below the line since.