Menu

Hello...

Aubrey

I agree with Tibbie. I would add that if comes out of that if comes out of that hole, you should rename him Lazarus.

These boards have seen a number of mummified chicken stories. Mummified turtle?

I do hope that the turtle was "just resting" and will reemerge from its nap.

SOOO....thanks for the turtle story...lol...but just so you know the reporter in me is dying to ask a ton of questions...I've been wondering when you would come back and often wondered about you and what was happening in your life...but I'll try to refrain from pelting you with questions, at least for now :lol:

Hello and welcome back.

We went through a similar Resurrectionist incident last year. During a cold snap in Spring dd came crying and told me she thought one of the fledgling magpies we had been sharing our hill with was dead. It was lying under a tree and looked very freshly dead, but was so cold that I though maybe it was only 'mostly dead' (Miracle Max in The Princess Bride). So I put it down my shirt to slowly warm it. I figured if it was still dead when warm then we'd call it dead.

I could feel occasional, very faint little movements and got quite excited.

But then when I inspected it, I found a small worm crawling around in the feathers of the dead bird in my shirt against my skin.

Yuck, creepy , creepy.

I then let dd bury the DEAD bird but made her wash her hands as well as I had washed my front.

Hope your turtle ends better.

:eek: :ack2: :svengo:

Welcome back Aubrey!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

FWIW, we had a toad we raised from a micro-toadlet, who we'd thought had shuffled off his mortal coil, but who turned out to be hibernating. Unfortunately, his third hibernation was permanent. :( If they start to get kinda shrivelly, that's a pretty good indicator that they're not just "resting" or "pining for the fjords." Reptiles and amphibians tend to be kinda... self-mummifying.

Jackie

Welcome back, crazy lady! :p

Um, my dad had a massive heart attack last August. Three weeks on life support, then a gazillion complications. Right now he's in a nursing home. So now you're caught up on what's going on with me.

Your turtle story is *way* funnier. :D

Oh, goodness! I'm so sorry! I have lots of not-funny stories, but...well, actually, losing a turtle wasn't funny at first, either.

Welcome home! And I'm sorry, but I really laughed at the thought of you poking the dead turtle.. I've done the opposite--have to put a lamb down and poked it to see if I'd really done the deed. And then being upset when I hadn't...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Btw, thanks to you, dh wants a horse for a pet. You know, one of those over-sized "dogs" you guys breed. ;)

I agree with Tibbie. I would add that if comes out of that if comes out of that hole, you should rename him Lazarus.

Yes, I did insist that if he "resurrected" he'd have to be renamed. There was one other, less religious option, but now I forget. His name was "King Tut" though, & even that seemed kind-of fitting, esp for the religious-tunnel-afterlife idea. :D

So glad to see you back, Aubrey. I've been wondering if you made any progress getting Steve Sheinkin to write a good American history volume for us. :tongue_smilie: Well.......?

No, I haven't talked to him since I told you guys about it a LONG time ago. But I've been wondering, too. Turns out, even if we're studying the ancients, I can't keep his books in the garage. I made dh spend a Saturday helping me dig through boxes to pull out Two Miserable Presidents. LOL!

Welcome back!

Apparently there is a turtle forum (not kidding), which suggests slowly warming the turtle. It it moves in a day, it's alive.

Yes, dh was posting there & calling me w/ updates. This forum was the basis of poking its limbs with a baby med dropper, which I was using to keep him moist/wash off his burial dirt, which wigged me out, esp on his eyes. But apparently there are different kinds of "soft." I was instructed to pick him up & see if his arms could be moved back & forth. *faint* I was clear about my limits. Poking was over the line, but flipping his legs back & forth? I wonder if dh has ever met me? (He did bring flowers afterward, unprompted.)

So, the turtle's dead. He "turned" while I was at McD's. Dh said it was "obvious," but spared me the details. SO glad I left the house. But now I feel all off-kilter, like the kids' turtle died & then I ignored them for a day. But they played really hard & were incredibly happy w/ getting the day off, so...? I guess it's ok?

When I warned them to stay out of the kitchen, I promised ice cream later if they obeyed (& therapy if they didn't). :D

Nice to see you again. I was just wondering about you in the event of so many regulars giving themselves new names. I wondered if you were hiding among the new monikers. :seeya:

Nice to see you again. I was just wondering about you in the event of so many regulars giving themselves new names. I wondered if you were hiding among the new monikers. :seeya:

Well, I sort-of tried that after a weird neighbor-stalking incident, but that didn't really work, & then things got bad enough that I couldn't be here at all, so I figured that once I *could* be here, I'd much rather be myself. The mods were really nice to let me be myself again. :)

One more story: I was using the internet at McD's & someone asked me if all the kids in the play place were mine. Well, no. I mean, I have 5, but no, not ALL of them. For one thing, I KNOW one of them is YOURS, lady. We went back & forth for a few minutes (all friendly) because she couldn't understand the math of "5, but not all." (I think there were 9 kids in there.)

Then it turned to religion. Because 5 kids, you know. I tried to give brief answers so I could check my email. Maybe that's not nice, but it turns out she's in seminary studying to be a preacher. An hour later, after she'd stood up in her seat yelling & waving her arms at me (in a passionate, not angry way), she thanked me for the opportunity to make her preaching powerful. (Seriously, I need my own smiley here, that's wide-eyed & baffled.)

One of the things she said she didn't believe in: poverty. Most of the rest, I've encountered before & at least understand/respect if I don't agree, but--she doesn't believe in people being poor? And she asked, "Who would look at a poor person & want to follow their god?"

What do you even say to that?

I was tempted to ask her if she'd read her Bible or *heard* of Jesus. I reminded her about Paul saying he knew how to be rich, knew how to be poor, etc. She said, "Yeah, but he learned that lesson & moved on." I said ok. I know it's bad, but I can't stop laughing.

One of the things she said she didn't believe in: poverty. Most of the rest, I've encountered before & at least understand/respect if I don't agree, but--she doesn't believe in people being poor? And she asked, "Who would look at a poor person & want to follow their god?"

I was tempted to ask her if she'd read her Bible or *heard* of Jesus. I reminded her about Paul saying he knew how to be rich, knew how to be poor, etc. She said, "Yeah, but he learned that lesson & moved on." I said ok. I know it's bad, but I can't stop laughing.

OKaaay. She's in seminary? Is it one of those places that teaches you will be rewarded in this life. You know where the preachers drive Cadillacs and occassional get investigated for financial scandal.

I think a jaw drop and eye roll that says "I really hope you're NOT a preacher with that kind of thought process" would be all that's necessary. Really? Jesus never preached negativity to poor people. OMG. :cursing:

One more story: I was using the internet at McD's & someone asked me if all the kids in the play place were mine. Well, no. I mean, I have 5, but no, not ALL of them. For one thing, I KNOW one of them is YOURS, lady. We went back & forth for a few minutes (all friendly) because she couldn't understand the math of "5, but not all." (I think there were 9 kids in there.)

Then it turned to religion. Because 5 kids, you know. I tried to give brief answers so I could check my email. Maybe that's not nice, but it turns out she's in seminary studying to be a preacher. An hour later, after she'd stood up in her seat yelling & waving her arms at me (in a passionate, not angry way), she thanked me for the opportunity to make her preaching powerful. (Seriously, I need my own smiley here, that's wide-eyed & baffled.)

Good grief! What the heck is she talking about? What ARE they teaching seminaries these days? I can only imagine what will happen to her if she's given a church in the inner city somewhere.

Aubrey you sure do attract the nut cases.