Menu

Another episode of I can't believe my child didn't know that

Excelsior! Academy

You know all of the threads about people who are surprised that their child missed a necessary or at least common life skill? Well, I am ready to contribute.

My 13 year old dd was typing an email to her debate coach. She loudly exclaims, "Hey! Did you know that if you push the enter key you don't have to push the tab key a bunch of times until you get to the next line?"

:laugh: Ah, but can she tie shoes with laces? Stand in a line? Raise her hand to ask a question? ;) Today, I was surprised to learn that my youngest completely understands the migration of Monarch butterflies. When I asked how he knew, he shrugged and said, "You told me before." Wait! You retained it??? :lol:

My eldest (6) thought "sentence" meant line of type. So when it comes time to copy the second sentence of a paragraph, your work product might look like this: "who lived in the woods. Nearby there was a"

After explaining a few times, I still doubt she really understands where a sentence begins and ends.

My eldest (6) thought "sentence" meant line of type. So when it comes time to copy the second sentence of a paragraph, your work product might look like this: "who lived in the woods. Nearby there was a"

After explaining a few times, I still doubt she really understands where a sentence begins and ends.

We have not formally studying grammar yet. I do sort of look forward to it. Then my kids will hear all these things from an expert (well in the form of a book). I have gotten strange "Are you sure!" looks explaining terms such as sentence, paragraph, chapter, ...

Yeah, well, yesterday we were talking about Christopher Columbus. Ok, my 4th grader, who has studied Columbus to some extent every year of his education could not figure out on a world map where he began and where he ended up. He actually had Columbus going north around Europe and into the arctic portions of Russia? And I'm like, seriously? How many times have we studied Columbus? I felt like an abject failure.

Last night Ds wanted to watch Star Wars. It is a VHS and we rarely use the machine anymore. I walked through the living room a half hour later to the movie rewinding on screen? Asked why? It had to be done so he could watch it. I reached down hit stop then rewind. 30 seconds later he was watching from the start. He was very enthusiastic. Could not believe how clever I was. How well that ancient machine actually worked. I had no clue he hadn't started VHS movies himself.

Here's one that doesn't surprise me, but it might surprise everyone else. My 6yo kids do not know how to use a phone to place a call. Not any kind of phone. They know what "911" is and they know my number, but if you gave them a phone to call me, they would have no idea what to do.

Maybe I ought to finally do something about that.

But dangit, I didn't want them playing with my phone.

5th grader last year, writing about some king or queen - "how do you type Roman numerals?"

Carolyn

At least she's figuring it out now! On Facebook, a friend who is going back to school to finish her BA shared an anecdote that made my jaw drop. Another student was giving a presentation and apologized that her handout (which was an outline of her presentation) lacked Roman numerals because she couldn't find the key for them on her keyboard.

At least she's figuring it out now! On Facebook, a friend who is going back to school to finish her BA shared an anecdote that made my jaw drop. Another student was giving a presentation and apologized that her handout (which was an outline of her presentation) lacked Roman numerals because she couldn't find the key for them on her keyboard.

:lol:

Youngest didn't know that if for some reason you peed in the drinking glass in the bathroom you should tell someone, or I don't know put it downstairs to get washed.

Happily Eldest saw him doing it and told us that evening before anyone used said drinking glass.

My 6 year old locked my 3 year old (and myself in a bedroom) during the middle of the night, to be funny. Well, three year old wakes up to pee and I tell him to pee in a cup, so I don't have to call dh and wake him up. In my middle of the night fog, I forgot about said pee, so it was left in the bedroom. Later that day, Asher brings a cup to me and says, "there's something wrong with this water.". He brushed his teeth for a solid twenty minutes.

One of my ds still didn't know his months at age 18. Oooops. I forgot that one with this particular ds. Oh, well.

I just realized that Asher doesn't know this, we skipped K math and haven't covered it in 1. He asked me yesterday if the pool was opening soon. I told him, no, in May. He then asked how far away that was, and I told him to count starting with the month we are in, so he started with September...and then told me January came next. Guess we are going to start doing calendar in the mornings :).

I called my house the other day and my 7yo picked up the phone. Just picked it up and held it to his ear, though, no "Hello" or any other greeting. I was so surprised to discover that he didn't know that basic social format -- he thought that the person making the call was supposed to say "Hello" first -- until I realized that DH and I use the phone so rarely that he hardly ever sees us answer it.

I called my house the other day and my 7yo picked up the phone. Just picked it up and held it to his ear, though, no "Hello" or any other greeting. I was so surprised to discover that he didn't know that basic social format -- he thought that the person making the call was supposed to say "Hello" first -- until I realized that DH and I use the phone so rarely that he hardly ever sees us answer it.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5:

I love these threads. It's nice to know my kids are normal!

Last year, at a soccer game, the end of game snack was a juice box and bag of chips. My kids understood the juice box but opening the chips were completely beyond their skill level! They had never even seen those individual sized chip bags before.