Menu

Mom w/ ADHD & managing home-based religious ritual?

anabelneri

Ok, with all the ADHD threads I thought of a question that I'm seriously trying to figure out, but haven't yet.

If you have ADHD, how do you manage to actually do home-based religious rituals? Like if you're Jewish, how do you make Shabbat happen every week? Or Hindu, how do you make offering pujas happen regularly (sorry if I don't use the words correctly)? Or Christian? Muslim? Pagan?

I love love love the idea of home-based religious ritual, but I have yet to figure out how to make anything happen on a regular basis. It's tough... every week is different. Shoot, every day is different! In college I loved going to the Liturgy of the Hours on campus, but it was an event that happened whether or not I showed up, and I had friends who weren't ADHD who would pull me along to get there on time. I have planned and thought about it and bought stuff, but somehow after a little while, any planned rituals stop happening. I think the hardest part is that, as the mom, I'm the one in charge of that stuff. Dh enjoys it, but he's just not going to make it happen. It's up to me, but I have no idea how.

Thanks enourmously!

I have a friend who set up prayer time in her calendar on her phone. She has committed herself this Lent to stopping whatever she is doing when the alarm goes off and doing her prayers.

I suspect the resolution will last until she loses her phone (again).

For my friend, her ADHD often looks like absent-mindedness, so a reminder is usually enough for her to keep on with something she really wants to stick with. Of course, if it's not something important to her, all the reminders in the world won't keep her on task.

Ok, with all the ADHD threads I thought of a question that I'm seriously trying to figure out, but haven't yet.

If you have ADHD, how do you manage to actually do home-based religious rituals? Like if you're Jewish, how do you make Shabbat happen every week? Or Hindu, how do you make offering pujas happen regularly (sorry if I don't use the words correctly)? Or Christian? Muslim? Pagan?

I love love love the idea of home-based religious ritual, but I have yet to figure out how to make anything happen on a regular basis. It's tough... every week is different. Shoot, every day is different! In college I loved going to the Liturgy of the Hours on campus, but it was an event that happened whether or not I showed up, and I had friends who weren't ADHD who would pull me along to get there on time. I have planned and thought about it and bought stuff, but somehow after a little while, any planned rituals stop happening. I think the hardest part is that, as the mom, I'm the one in charge of that stuff. Dh enjoys it, but he's just not going to make it happen. It's up to me, but I have no idea how.

Thanks enourmously!

It is difficult for but the only advice I have is practice.