Menu

Learning printing

Mom27kidz

Our son turned 5 in November and still has a lot of trouble printing single letters of the alphabet....he can do 3 or 4 of them almost legibly.

He's learning the sounds of each letter fine, just can't print....all our other kids could print at age 4-5 ish. Anyone have any advice on how to help him form his written work? Also, he can't draw things like happy faces, etc either..... (??)

I didn't get my current K'er writing letters formally until age 6. He is also a November birthday, so he was 5 most of his PreK4 year.

Have him play with Playdoh, Legos, and other such fine motor activities. Start writing instruction with large motions, writing in the sky, writing in sand or salt, etc. I am wondering about the smiley face thing, but I don't know enough about handwriting problems to say if that's normal or not. My kid weakest in fine motor skills was able to draw a smiley face at that age. He just had a lot of trouble writing letters at 5. He would have benefited from more prewriting activities instead of writing at that age.