Menu

Probiotics? Acidophilus?

CandaceC

Can anyone recommend a good, quality brand if these?

And is there a difference in a bottle that says acidophilus and one that is probiotics? Is one better than the other??

My kids keep on getting a stomach bug...I mean every few weeks one or more of them is throwing up again. since thanksgiving!!! Ugh!

Any other suggestions??

We use this one: http://www.bluebonne..._FOS_Vcaps (we buy it at our local health food store where it costs a little bit less)

DS has to have one that's dairy-free so that's why we went with this product (the majority of them contain dairy). Acidophilus is just one of the most common probiotics. There are several types.

This formula contains lactobacillus acidophilus (1 billion), lactobacillus bulgaricus (1 billion), and bifidobacterium (bifidum & longum, 1 billion) in a base of FOS (fructooligosaccharides).

You want to look for a product that contains at least 1 billion microorganisms per capsule or serving.

Hope your kids feel better soon!

Use a probiotic that is proven to survive digestion.

I wouldn't spend money on a probiotic that doesn't have research showing it actually survives digestion to work in the system. I can mention some brands that have good research showing they work.

Culturelle-it's got a lot of research behind it showing it works even with the really nasty bugs. It's widely available in the US anyway. .

Florastor-it's my favorite and has a lot of research as well. It's proven to boost the immune system and is proven to work with those same nasty bugs. Antibiotics can't kill it so it's a good one to have in the house in case someone goes on an antibiotic. We take it and Culturelle daily. I've heard it's more widely available though I haven't seen it here and we order from Amazon.

Acidophilus Pearls-I haven't used them but they also have research to back their survival I think. I imagine they would be locally available.

The pearls should probably be swallowed but I think they are small. The Culturelle and Florastor say they are safe to open and dump on food if the food isn't terribly hot. All of those might be locally available.

Klaire labs are proven but they are online only I believe.