Menu

Curious: how many of you suspect YOU may have ADD?

SKL

I thought so, but it turns out I haven't had enough car wrecks, bounced checks or affairs to be considered ADD. I kid you not, this is what they psychologist said. He had me take some sort of test and it turns out I'm bi-polar. I can totally see that. Bi-polar people apparently also have trouble staying on task. I'm on Effexor and Lamotragine and so very much better. I can stay on task (mostly) much better than I could before.

I feel like I have a technology induced form of ADD. If my computer and iphone were to suddenly disappear and there was never a chance of getting them back I would be able to focus much better. Now I need to try to remember what it is I'm supposed to be doing and get off these forums!!!

Elise in NC

I do, I am getting so much more done now that I am being treated for it.

My personal opinion is that often people define ADD/ADHD by the most obvious symptoms when the actual problems go much deeper. It is nice to get more stuff done, but that would alone have been a reason to seek treatment.

I feel like I do a lot of the time, but I don't think that I do in fact have it. I'm basing that on how I operated before husband & children. My dh and 4/5 of my children definetly do have ADD, and I think my brain has just gotten to the point that I can no longer keep track of what I need to do and accomodate for the things that they're supposed to do, if that makes sense. I think if I was living alone I'd go back to being my non-ADD self. So I maybe I have family induced ADD? Is that even possible?

Me. I used to blame all me kids' problems on ex-dh. However, I've come to realize that I may also be the source of some of this. Over the last month or so a parent of one of my students has been bringing me coffee every morning, and I have really seen a difference in how well I can focus and finish projects. I lack follow through big time, and lately I haven't. Ds and I seem to have the ADD, and I believe the 4 year old likely has ADHD. We'll see better as she gets older and really has to perform in school.

I may decide to medicate myself, but so far I am very pleased with the results of the coffee alone.

One of my kids has it; one is in the process of evaluation; one has traits and may have the inattentive type. Dh and I both have traits. It's a huge burden. I think I got through school because I picked things up quickly and because of hyper-focus when I'd procrastinated long enough for the adrenaline to kick in and put me in hyper-focus. Then once I'm in it, it's hard to get out. I am totally incompetent at managing objects. It's painful.

Not ADD but I have recently concluded that I might be on the Highly Sensitive scale. When I talked to my mom about it she was like, 'yeah, I always knew you couldn't handle chaos and loud noises.' :) I often thought about it with regards to my ds but it turns out *I* am more sensitive.

I figure most of us have some diagnosable 'thing'. :)

I feel like I have a technology induced form of ADD. If my computer and iphone were to suddenly disappear and there was never a chance of getting them back I would be able to focus much better. Now I need to try to remember what it is I'm supposed to be doing and get off these forums!!!

Elise in NC

Haha, that's the same with me! When my phone's dead and I don't have my computer, I get SO much done. But, as soon as there is some technology around... I'm likely to spend all day doing nothing but jumping from one thing to the other.

Not ADD but I have recently concluded that I might be on the Highly Sensitive scale. When I talked to my mom about it she was like, 'yeah, I always knew you couldn't handle chaos and loud noises.' :) I often thought about it with regards to my ds but it turns out *I* am more sensitive.

That runs in my family. Which is why I am so bent on quite peacefulness.

... It's a huge burden. I think I got through school because I picked things up quickly and because of hyper-focus when I'd procrastinated long enough for the adrenaline to kick in and put me in hyper-focus. Then once I'm in it, it's hard to get out. I am totally incompetent at managing objects. It's painful.

You sound exactly like me. This is why I really want to work part-time (but at the same job I have). (That was the original arrangement but it never worked that way!) I want to do a little of this, a little of that, and still meet expectations. I happily switch between housework, "work" work, kid stuff, and other. But doing "work" work for 8 hours is practically impossible, unless I'm up against an immoveable deadline.

I do have ADD and have medication for it. I can't help but wonder if I would have been a better K- 12 student if the ADD was known and addressed. Time and experience helped me be a better college student. I was actually in college, 2011, when I got put on the medication. Not only was my educational experience improved, but my whole days went better. I was truly surprised and pleased the medication improved my life so greatly.

I am pretty sure I am on the Highly Sensitive scale also. A couple of my children exhibit that tendency too. When my whole family is here, I sometimes go hide in the bedroom.

Check with doctor(s) about the other conditions which can have this same side effect, but which are not ADD/ADHD.

I wonder about this in myself. I have a hard time staying on task. It gets me in trouble and keeps me under a lot of stress. I wish I could just flip off the switch and stick with what I promised to accomplish today. Who else?

I have taken online tests just for fun, and I have mild ADD. My dh clearly has full-blown ADHD and started taking meds for it 2 years ago. He said he was able to think clearly and stay on task for the first time in his life and is very grateful for the meds.

I can get things done, but slowly. I'm more of a daydreamer, so I am prone to sitting around daydreaming when I'm supposed to be doing something. And technology is very bad for me. It sucks up my entire day more often than I like to admit.

One of my kids has it; one is in the process of evaluation; one has traits and may have the inattentive type. Dh and I both have traits. It's a huge burden. I think I got through school because I picked things up quickly and because of hyper-focus when I'd procrastinated long enough for the adrenaline to kick in and put me in hyper-focus. Then once I'm in it, it's hard to get out. I am totally incompetent at managing objects. It's painful.

That is how I am! My DH would probably qualify as being hyperactive, but I would probably qualify more for the inattentive type. I only seem to be able to focus very well when I'm under a deadline; I guess it's the adrenaline and hyper-focusing. General time management -- I'm terrible at at that. I have a very hard time finishing things that don't have a strict deadline. And I lose things frequently, forget what I'm supposed to be doing, etc. I did very well in school, but I think that's partly because I did indeed do big projects last minute, but also because my long-term memory is excellent, and so much of public school success depends on being able to memorize and spit out facts. I probably also qualify as being hyper sensitive -- I'm super sensitive to light, noise, food textures, anything touching my skin, etc.

That is how I am! My DH would probably qualify as being hyperactive, but I would probably qualify more for the inattentive type. I only seem to be able to focus very well when I'm under a deadline; I guess it's the adrenaline and hyper-focusing. General time management -- I'm terrible at at that. I have a very hard time finishing things that don't have a strict deadline. And I lose things frequently, forget what I'm supposed to be doing, etc. I did very well in school, but I think that's partly because I did indeed do big projects last minute, but also because my long-term memory is excellent, and so much of public school success depends on being able to memorize and spit out facts. I probably also qualify as being hyper sensitive -- I'm super sensitive to light, noise, food textures, anything touching my skin, etc.

OK, that's ALL normal. I'm serious. The naturally organized people are the anomalies. Toss them some chaos and they can't function.

I wonder about this in myself. I have a hard time staying on task. It gets me in trouble and keeps me under a lot of stress. I wish I could just flip off the switch and stick with what I promised to accomplish today. Who else?

It is 5 am and I am still up working because I was not productive during the day and I'm on deadline. And yet I'm still on here checking every so oftern. What is wrong with me?!?! Ugh.

Check with doctor(s) about the other conditions which can have this same side effect, but which are not ADD/ADHD.

What else could this be? I'd love to have some idea how I can start working on this. Do I just have no will power? It seems unlikely because I got through engineering school and I own my own business so I do get stuff done. Just never in a timely or non-stressful manner. :(