Menu

Would you invest $$$ for a family exercise program?

Blueridge

I am attempting to learn how to run. Week 3 of C25K and so far it's pretty pitiful, but I persevere! I want my girls to learn to run, too. For their health's sake, for their enjoyment, for their self esteem, to build good health habits for their lifetime, etc. I want to do this together and make a memory. The running store 50 minutes from home has a beginning walk/run program starting next week. I have gone back and forth all month trying to decide whether to sign us all up for it or not. The main obstacle is the cost. $125 per person, no family discount, and the shoes and clothing would be another expense. My tax refund is coming in a few days. Would you invest this much for your health and your kid's health if they weren't all that interested to begin with? I usually use our refund for curriculum so it would be a risk to squander it on a failed idea!

No way. One hundred-mile round trip alone would be the deal breaker.

Of course, I say this as someone who would rather do almost anything than run, lol, but honestly, if your dc aren't that interested to begin with, I wouldn't add on the 100-mile round trip. Some sort of dance or sports or even martial arts at a local studio would be better.

I would start out with a family membership to a local Y or gym and let everyone find something they like to do.

I head to the pool, my son goes to do treadmill, weights and whatever else is in the gym and my daughter alternates between pool and gym.

I pay $100/month for a family membership and I am proud to say we have gone at least 3 times/week (usually 4-5) for the past year. :001_smile:

No. The deal breaker for me is the 50 min trip to the running store. That's too much transport time for us daily.

I'd put up a jar and each time you all are successful contribute to it, with the proceeds going towards a half marathon or a 5k event in a vacation destination area that you all participate it and take a few days off afterwards.

I agree.

50 minutes from home is too far. You'll end up spending more time driving than you'll spend walking or running.

Why pay $125 per person for something you can do on your own? I understand wanting accountability, but I think the idea of having a reward system could work just as well, and would also get you something tangible for your money.

I don't know that I would emphasize running, at least not to start. Not everyone likes running, and if you force them to run then they may hate it forever. Ask how I learned this. I'm still unlearning my hatred of exercise. Family walks, sports, even exercise videos are options I'd pursue before spending that kind of money on a training program.

I'd start with a family fitness that was what everyone wanted to do. Running is not the end all be all of fitness. I'd also make sure it was something that everyone was committed towards before investing that much time or money. I'd ask them what kind of activity they'd like to do. It will go much better imo when it is something they want to do and have a say towards what activity is chosen.

fwiw some money we have invested that I felt well worth it. We bought bikes for everyone and a trailer for the younger kids. It has proven to be a good investment. We didn't go out and buy super expensive new stuff though but bought used. I figure if we wear this out we can upgrade to something fancier. We've also bought some equipment for hiking- baby carriers, nice water bottles and back pack. However, we did a TON of walking around here before investing any money.

No! That's way too much money to spend on a running program, because going on a run is free!

And I agree with soror. There are many ways to get fit besides running. And that is coming from someone who loves to run. Fnd something you all ENJOY doing and do that. I think the best way to kill a kid's desire to be active is to make them participate in fitness activities they hate.

Here is another idea. Make a family goal and then use that money once you reach that goal. For us, that could be going to some cool location to hike or buy new hiking shoes or such. Remember as well strength training. The men in your life might be much more excited with strength goals- ie 50 pushups in a row and 10 pullups or such (of course depending on the starting level). I bought a new pullup bar for me but dh was excited to try it out as well, even though it was certainly not his idea.

No way. We signed our kids up for a benefit 5k and commenced training runs a few years ago. None of them are recreational runners now, but they have shaved off their time from race to race and my daughter (11 when they last ran it) finished in the top 3 for her age class.

I'd continue the C25K and have them run with you, with a spring target race you're working toward as a team.

C25k with the kids with you. When I did it, I took the kids with me to the local high school track. We would bring soccer and footballs for them. They would all start running with us and then break off to play once bored. Make it a fun adventure and their begging to go will help you be accountable

Very helpful, ladies! Yes, the drive is a pain, but we live in the sticks, so everything is a 50 minute drive from here lol. I appreciate you providing so many good options for me to think about. I think the expensive class is out, now that I have some other better ideas to ponder. Thank you!

I think that's WAY too much time and money for something you can do locally for the cost of sneakers ESPECIALLY if your kids don't enjoy it.

Some people HATE running, will never learn to love it, and will resent anyone who makes them do it. I think the key to family fitness is to get your kids unplugged and moving doing something THEY enjoy.

I ran in the military. Physically, my body took to it easier than most and i was even put on the run team, but I hated every second of every run I ever did. I appreciate the fitness benefits, but there are more enjoyable and safer ways to stay in shape. I know too many people with running injuries.

I'm a very active adult who spends an average of 8 hours a week in dance classes, and some weeks it's twice that. I will always be annoyed by a knee that I injured while running when I was twenty because of ONE off step on ONE day.

Please don't force people to run who don't care for it. I can see making it a short unit (8 weeks or less) in PE, but don't expect them to come around because you are invested.

My kids and I can't run together. It gets too competitive between them or they feel they must beat me. We have had a lot of fun bike riding, swimming and hiking. If the Y is a possibility I would try them too. I know about the sticks though. The chances I would drive them to the Y are slim and none and slim left town. Good luck

I know what you mean about wanting your kids to have a healthy form of exercise. I also understand that even though running and walking should be free, some people need to start out in the structure of a program to get going. However, I have found that your kids need to be motivated on their own to do something in order for it to "catch."

I think in the younger years it's good to expose them to different physical activities: biking, hiking, short community running races, swimming, canoing, community ed gymnastics... You don't have to do it with the intention of become serious about any of them, just a light exposure. Eventually something might "catch" on its own, and if not, as long as your family is recreationally active (family bike rides, hikes, etc.), they will at least grow up thinking that should be part of their lives.

A couple of my kids latched on to a physical activity early (swimming, long-distance biking), and others did not. We're an active family and talk about health and keeping fit, and eventually even my non-active kids (by the time they were 18 or 19) latched on to an exercise that they love and now do it all the time: running, working out at a gym, Zumba, etc. One just walks, but she walks fast about 2 miles/day, and that's good enough for me!

All that being said, I might consider the run/walk program if it were in town and the kids were excited about it. When the whole family does something like that together, it often seems more fun. :)

I am attempting to learn how to run. Week 3 of C25K and so far it's pretty pitiful, but I persevere! I want my girls to learn to run, too. For their health's sake, for their enjoyment, for their self esteem, to build good health habits for their lifetime, etc. I want to do this together and make a memory. The running store 50 minutes from home has a beginning walk/run program starting next week. I have gone back and forth all month trying to decide whether to sign us all up for it or not. The main obstacle is the cost. $125 per person, no family discount, and the shoes and clothing would be another expense. My tax refund is coming in a few days. Would you invest this much for your health and your kid's health if they weren't all that interested to begin with? I usually use our refund for curriculum so it would be a risk to squander it on a failed idea!

Yes, I would pay money. No, I would not pay for that.

I'm trying to understand why you have to take a class to learn how to "run". (my dd did x-cntry for four years). the only legitimate expense are good running shoes. then something breathable that is weather appropriate. (t-shirt and pants/shorts work.)

just grab everyone and tell them to put on good shoes and go.

Get a treadmill. They come with several workouts already programmed in, from a beginner all the way up to a marathon runner. So you just push 1 button and it will have you walking for a while then running for a while all on its own. You can track the time/speed you do. It will also check you heart rate.