Menu

Need fundraising ideas for mission trip

Jann in TX

I just signed up to spend a month in Uganda this summer as part of a team whose primary purpose will be teacher training and building/stocking a library for a primary school.

This will be my second trip with this team (my first trip was in 2008). In 2011 I took DH, dd22 and dd11 with me--same location/school in Uganda and the whole family worked there for a week (youngest dd attended classes)-- we also spent 2 weeks in Nairobi, Kenya.

Anyways-- since this time the committment is 1 month I will need to be more active in fundraising-- part to supplement my expenses and part for our team supplies-- besides the library and teacher training there are several other service/community building opportunities.

The trip is not organized by a church- it is sponsored by the foundation that runs the children's home/school we will be working at for the teacher training seminars.

For tax purposes my church will accept donations on my behalf. It is a VERY small church-- so funraising will be very limited among the membership.

Does anyone have any 'tried and true' fundrasing ideas?

I am a 'near professional' cake decorator-- I can't sell for money out of my home--but I CAN sell as part of a charity bake sale... I'm thinking perhaps a wedding cake or two, childrens' birthday cakes and cupcakes...any thoughts on how to do/promote this?

TIA

My daughter did a chilli feed during our churches AWANA grand prix for her trip to Tanzania (she is serving as a missionary intern for 8 months). It was something we could prepare ahead of time and people really liked it. Because we bought supplies in bulk we really made a great profit. We also served brownies or cookies that others volunteered to make. Because they traditionally served hotdogs we did also and they could choose chilli dogs.

We made a quilt for one guy going to Ireland. The quilt was out for a few weeks, people bought tickets and someone one it. Now you could even sell/promote it on facebook and such.

Could you offer cake decorating class? The problem with that is people would need supplies. But you could maybe do small groups with your supplies. Bill it as a mom/daughter type thing? Turn it into a tea or something?

Could you offer cake decorating class? The problem with that is people would need supplies. But you could maybe do small groups with your supplies. Bill it as a mom/daughter type thing? Turn it into a tea or something?

OOH-- I like the idea of cake decorating class-- especially the mother-daughter one...

I bet I could do a class with only a few decorating tips needed-- so supplies less than $5 per family including a small cake/cupcakes...with suggested donation of $25.... I know I can use a room at our church for no charge....

Thanks!

One project that we are doing:

Buckets of Hope and Backpacks of Promise.

Each 5-gallon bucket (lid has seal) will contain dried beans, rice or similar grain, sugar, a mosquito net, some g-nut paste (peanut) Vaseline (prevents infection) and anything else we can find that will fit in! We will go in small groups led by the children from the children's home (orphans that have been 'adopted' by the home) as a way of giving back and supporting their community. Each bucket can feed a family for at least a week! Last year the team was amazed at what a large percentage of 'huts' they took buckets to that had NO OTHER FOOD available.

Each backpack will contain necessary school supplies (pens, pencils, notebooks (similar to our Blue books) at least 5 books (quality literature!) and again, any other supplies we can fit inside. These will be distributed to secondary students in a rural village (think slum).

Each bucket and backpack will cost only $20. Our goal is for a minimum of 200 buckets and 125 backpacks!

This project is sponsored by 'Books are the Beginning' == a non-profit founded by our team leaders.

The library books have already been donated (schools all over the US and some publishers too!).

Next week each team member will be 'assigned' a specific school supply to gather through donations (this is part of ongoing support of the school at the children's home).

I think fundraising for these specific goals will be easier-- most people we know are willing to donate $20-- especially if it goes to such a good cause (100% goes directly to the project).

Funding my personal part is the challenge at hand!

There is a mother daughter pair here who raise funds by cooking. They do freezer meals each week. They rotate a group of recipes and people pick up on Fridays. They do meals for about 3-4 months before they have enough funds. They go to Scotland each year. Let me see if I can find an email from the mom.

Good evening, E and I are once again going back on the missions field to Scotland. We are in the planning stages right now but are planning on going over late July. In order to raise support we have for the past 3 years made freezer meals and sold them. It has been so neat to see how the Lord provided and what a blessing the meals have been. Our plan is to cook every week until we have raised all the money. We have been busy cooking and this is what we have in the freezer right now. Let me know if you want anything. Once most of the meals clear out I will start cooking every week. I can bring the meals to tennis or you can swing by the house and pick them up and stay for a cup of tea. If you have any questions please let me know. You can e-mail me back or call me. If you don't want to receive e-mails from me regarding the meals please let me know. I don't want to bother you with extra e-mails. We would love it if you would pass on this e-mail to your friends, family and neighbours. The more that buy the sooner we will be done. Thank you so much and keep praying for us.

K

6 person meals cost $24

4 person meals cost $16

Chicken parm 4 or 6 person

Mexican Lasagna 4 or 6 person

Madi's meal (chicken/stuffing) 4 or 6 person

Baked Ziti 4 or 6 person

Stromboli

Tatertot casserole 4 or 6 person

Turkey casserole only 4 person