Menu

February Financial Accountability Week 2 (2/8-2/14)

Runningmom80

Feb 11- $15 on dinner

Feb 12- I don't want to think about it. Ugh. Ok, I bought groceries for the week today $100, then we went to the mall to do some shopping for items we have had on a list for a few weeks now: present for my soon-to-be-9yo's birthday $73, makeup for me $9, work shoes for me $40, new cellphone for dh (his died and he needs it for work, it's also my anniversary/valentines day present to him) $400, lunch at Chilis $23. Yikes. Rough day for the wallet. :(

We are on holiday break and we all REALLY need to get back to school/ work. We spend way too much money when we have a lot of free time!!!

So, last week I posted these end of week totals:

My goals for February:

1. no amazon spending

2. no curricula purchasing

3. no eating out except for dates with my husband, limited to $62.59 in budget

4. eat out of pantry, grocery budget limited to $283.89

5. misc. non-food and non-clothing expenditures limited to $90.85

6. re-price auto & home insurance DONE: saving approx $400/year

Eating Out: spent $9.52/$53.07 remaining

Groceries: spent $44.71/$239.18 remaining

Misc.: spent $14.46/$76.39 remaining

and I finally have my receipts to post from this week:

Wendy's after meeting about the car accident: $12.57

groceries at Aldi yesterday: $79.29

and then my spending flurry yesterday after ds's allergist appointment:

Dollar Tree--flower pinwheels for my daughter's grave: $6ish (can't find receipt yet)

Hancock Fabric--elastic to make skirts for my dd from yardage I already have--comes out of different budget category, but $7.75

Michaels--art journal, smash book, washi tape, craft sticks (fell off the wagon--can't find receipt)

Bed, bath, and beyond---(really fell off the wagon): $88.12....found a quilt I loved half off (had been display model: now $75) and a wooden spoon

Bath & Body works: $11.97....this was a need....developed an allergy to the hand sanitizer I have and I need this with the baby for when I'm out at appointments

I can give myself all kinds of justification....I had a $55 reimbursement I used for the Michaels stuff and I would've bought the quilt later at a higher price....I am doing well in my gas budget and can transfer funds...I just realized that I really enjoyed having a little burst of spending. I need to keep it under control now, iykwim, and not have another this month.

I'm cleaning out my office/craft room and donating big bins of stuff....doing that helps me realize how easy it is to overspend on craftsand buy things for projects I don't have time for.

Eating Out: $40.50 remaining

Groceries: $159.89 remaining

Misc.: $0 remaining

2/10 $15 lunch while we took a break from scrubbing the old house

2/11 $1600! :svengo: :svengo: A few groceries for the week, and new sofa, loveseat coffee and end tables.....but it also came with a 32 inch flat screen if you bought the package. I didn't want to do it, but our furniture looks ridiculous in the new house. We used to buy apartment sized items for our previous home, and they filled it up, with no extras. All of that stuff is finally in the new house, and it just looks empty and sad. We still came in under budget so now I am hunting for a deal on curtains.

2/12 $30 dollars for online curriculum.

Yes, I've dropped the ball keeping track. I'll pick back up next week. I've been on a baby high since Saturday, and I've been back and forth from my house to the hospital and my sister's house since then. I've definitely spent money! Oh well, I'll do better next week.

Ps, new niece pics are on my blog. ;)

This was from our eye doctor. My dd wears Acuvue Oasis and they are $31 a box. Costco has them for $26/box but Costco is 100 mile round trip for me.

Thanks! I will see if Costco is an option for me. My Costco is about 25 miles away, so I go about 2ice a month or so. :)

I'm going to hop out for the rest of this week. I spent some last night and I will be buying some more tomorrow and maybe Thursday. Still working on my bedroom redo and it's all in flux till I get it straight. I'm a taker backer kind of a gal.

Coming back strong next week!!

Yes, I've dropped the ball keeping track. I'll pick back up next week. I've been on a baby high since Saturday, and I've been back and forth from my house to the hospital and my sister's house since then. I've definitely spent money! Oh well, I'll do better next week.

Quitters! :laugh: I'm still in!!! And watch me own my Kindle-badness! I've downloaded four books this month - yes, this month, when I said I was aiming for NO AMAZON!!! *sigh* Some people drink beer; I read books. :cheers2: I also ordered a Hoover Floormate from Amazon for $133.99. :leaving: In my defense, I've considered buying one of these for about two years. I'm trying to be better about my "maximizer" tendencies, so I decided I should just buy it. Plus, I read this review and the very last line was so hilariously clever, I had to take her advice! :laugh:

Updated below again! More medical expenses. After Ds' MRSA, dd had a ugly spot on her toe that was swelling up. Another dr. visit and a prescription!

Good news on the groceries front though! I'm going to need to shop tomorrow though. But, I've been really proud of keeping that number so low!!

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $200/$700

Medical: $194/$100 (MRSA is expensive!!!)

Gas: $137/$550

Kids' activities: $880/$1700

Things I'm going to try to curb this month and I hope to bank the difference in our vacation account:

Eating out: 0!!!

Coffee: 0!!!

Added stuff we bought that wasn't budgeted: $150 for trip insurance for a trip in August, $23 for parking for our August trip (it was cheaper to buy it now!), parking/entrance for dd's gymnastics meet: $25

Extra income (hopefully!):

Goal: $555/$400

(Dh occasionally gets "tips" for his services as a priest - wedding, funerals, etc. He has a funeral next week. I also hope to sell some things on line. And, that will be banked in our vacation account!!)

I'm going to hop out for the rest of this week. I spent some last night and I will be buying some more tomorrow and maybe Thursday. Still working on my bedroom redo and it's all in flux till I get it straight. I'm a taker backer kind of a gal.

Coming back strong next week!!

STAY!!!! Just report back. No biggie!!!

Quitters! :laugh: I'm still in!!! And watch me own my Kindle-badness! I've downloaded four books this month - yes, this month, when I said I was aiming for NO AMAZON!!! *sigh* Some people drink beer; I read books. :cheers2: I also ordered a Hoover Floormate from Amazon for $133.99. :leaving: In my defense, I've considered buying one of these for about two years. I'm trying to be better about my "maximizer" tendencies, so I decided I should just buy it. Plus, I read this review and the very last line was so hilariously clever, I had to take her advice! :laugh:

I am still in too, even though I think my totals will be higher this month. I have been very good this week overall!

I never did do a starting post so here's what I've spent for the week:

2/7: $0

2/8: $4.19 groceries

2/9: $123.60 groceries, $16.90 lunch, $60.00 gas, $20 haircut +tip, $56.99 rx

2/10: $110 clothing ($100 clothing budget, $10 from dad which paid $3.09 extra to cc)

2/11: $0

2/12: $5.42 crafts (Valentine's)

2/13: $0

2/14:

I don't have any expected expenses for today or tomorrow so hopefully nothing will come up.

Horrible!!!! Truly horrible this week. I spent a ton yesterday both in town and at home. Dh and I ate lunch out. He had a doctor appt., and I had a hair appt in the morning. Lunch was $26 including tip. Haircut was $34.00 including tip. Dmv to renew my license was $23.25. Auto parts paint and stuff for dh's new project car - I don't even know how much. Grocery store was about $150, but I did use a lot of buy 1 get 1 free coupons. (I don't normally do coupons.) All that was fine. Then we got home, and I got online to get my Clinique stuff that I didn't want to wait in line for at the store. MISTAKE. I bought $100 worth of stuff and then turned around and bought another $80 worth. And all this is on top of the $70 worth of Urban Decay makeup I bought myself for my birthday. I'm either great or just awful. And I can undo days and weeks worth of doing well in a couple of hours of being bad. sigh.

Okay...today's another day...maybe I can make today a no spend day, right?!

No spend day!

I don't know how to get back in, I spent cash on stuff and I have no idea what the totals are.

Hey! Aren't you driving this bus? :laugh: :driving: Do you know how much cash (about) you had in your wallet?

More gas. And, I decided to go ahead and buy the professional photos from my dd's gymnastics meet. They were too good to pass up!

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $200/$700

Gas: $167/$550

Things I'm going to try to curb this month and I hope to bank the difference in our vacation account:

Added stuff we bought that wasn't budgeted: $150 for trip insurance for a trip in August, $23 for parking for our August trip (it was cheaper to buy it now!), parking/entrance for dd's gymnastics meet: $25, professional photos from dd's gymnastics meet: $50.

(Dh occasionally gets "tips" for his services as a priest - wedding, funerals, etc. He has a funeral next week. I also hope to sell some things on line. And, that will be banked in our vacation account!!)

Added more groceries. I did really, really well today again! I spent $88. I still have one more place to shop, but it should be small. And, I have to pay for our egg delivery tomorrow. But, I should get by with another $120 week. Of course, we are using up a bunch of stuff from our cabinets, so next month might cost a bit more. But, if I can keep it cheap a couple months out of the year, I can save a TON!!!

And, that also includes a trip I made to CVS. I spent $3 there on four tubes of toothpaste and a bunch of dental floss. I had a HUGE number of coupons for dental stuff and I stacked them! Love that!

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $283/$700

Gas: $167/$550

Added stuff we bought that wasn't budgeted: $150 for trip insurance for a trip in August, $23 for parking for our August trip (it was cheaper to buy it now!), parking/entrance for dd's gymnastics meet: $25, professional photos from dd's gymnastics meet: $50.

Okay. This was the dreaded Highlight/Toner/Haircut day I've been revving up for. I don't know if I can post my total. I've got to find a better option for my hair. I didn't have the nerve to break up with my stylist on Valentine's Day. :leaving: It would be easier if she sucked a little bit. But noooooo...she has to go and do yet another fantastic job. But it's....freakin' hair. How can I accept something that is averaging out to more than $100/month - just for ME! Not including the other hair in this family that needs attention.

*sigh* I also spent $21 and change on valentines treats for my family.

Okay. This was the dreaded Highlight/Toner/Haircut day I've been revving up for. I don't know if I can post my total. I've got to find a better option for my hair. I didn't have the nerve to break up with my stylist on Valentine's Day. :leaving: It would be easier if she sucked a little bit. But noooooo...she has to go and do yet another fantastic job. But it's....freakin' hair. How can I accept something that is averaging out to more than $100/month - just for ME! Not including the other hair in this family that needs attention.

*sigh* I also spent $21 and change on valentines treats for my family.

I was spending that much too! I kept it up for a couple years and decided I needed to make a change. I found a wonderful, wonderful woman who encouraged me to let my hair grow out so I could wear it curly. She also colors my hair. Total for the wash, color, and style (and a little trim) was $55. And, that included tip!!!! And, I LOVE it. It looks totally natural. So, I'm encouraging you to look!

And, have you ever tried cutting your kids' hair at home? I still cut my 15 and 12 yo hair. My 16 yo has a style I can't quite do. But, I trim the back and sides between cuts and it can go a couple weeks longer. I'm pretty good at it!!!

I was spending that much too! I kept it up for a couple years and decided I needed to make a change. I found a wonderful, wonderful woman who encouraged me to let my hair grow out so I could wear it curly. She also colors my hair. Total for the wash, color, and style (and a little trim) was $55. And, that included tip!!!! And, I LOVE it. It looks totally natural. So, I'm encouraging you to look!

And, have you ever tried cutting your kids' hair at home? I still cut my 15 and 12 yo hair. My 16 yo has a style I can't quite do. But, I trim the back and sides between cuts and it can go a couple weeks longer. I'm pretty good at it!!!

I would really love to find something that inexpensive. Even twice that amount would be a huge improvement. I did ask another friend who used to go to this same stylist, because I had a vague memory of her saying it was just too expensive. (At the time, I was not coloring, so I didn't pay that much attention.) So, she did give me a name of another stylist. I'm considering whether I should have her do just a cut before I go all out and let her try the color as well. Though my friend has great hair, so I can't imagine she could do a terrible job in any case.

I did used to cut my kids' hair at home; dh, too. It was simple, though, because my youngest and my dh just had a clipper cut all one length. I don't feel confident with my ds13 the way his hair is now. It's layered and wavy and requires a fair amount of scissor technique. Plus...he's 13. The smallest thing could be a disaster. I do cut dd15's bangs several times before I bring her in for a complete cut. Simple. She wears her hair long, so it's easy to go a long time without a "real" cut.

Thanks for your encouragement!

It would have been a no spend day but...

The littles had a Valentine's party at the library.

Then DD went to a friend's house.

So I sent DH and DS11 to tae kwon do early with some cash for Chipolte's for dinner so DS11 wouldn't feel like he was the only one who didn't get to do something fun today.

2/8 pizza $32

2/9 $0

2/10 $27 for breakfast and dinner out $24 for wrestling tournament fee and admission

2/11 $130 for groceries

2/12 $11 late lunch after co-op

2/13 $0

2/14 $9 lunch and $8 supper $15 for 4H fees, $3.50 llbean purchase after discount and coupon $$ :)

Not too bad of a week. I knew it was busy and we'd have a few days of eating on the road but all in all not bad!