Menu

What to do after last "Explode the Code" books??

mommyto4QT

My 2nd grader is set to finish Book 8 in the Explode the Code series. We've used them for phonics practice/review. He enjoys the books a lot and is reading way above his 2nd grade level. I am curious what I should do after the last Explode the Code book. Should I start a vocabulary workbook? Is there anymore Phonics that we need to learn? Should we do a reading comprehension workbook?

Looking for suggestions that are quick, fun, and easy to teach....similar to what Explode the Code was!!

I'm going to assume he's already reading plenty. Here, we have a sort of workbook limit and ETC filled a large chunk. When we finished it, it allowed one of my dc to move to doing some other language arts practice and I just put together a hodgepodge of grammar, editing, spelling and vocab practice skills for him from different ebooks and sites.

If you're not doing spelling, I would replace it with spelling.

isn't there a beyond the code?

Beyond the code is actually designed to go along with the earlier books, not after. I was confused as well! :)

My 2nd grader is about to finish ETC 8 as well. I do think we are going to add a reading comprehension workbook just because she struggles with it, but otherwise I had no intention of replacing it in the schedule. We do spelling, grammar, and writing in addition.