What's with the ads?

Photo

What to do after last "Explode the Code" books??

phonics reading workbooks explode the code

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 mommyto4QT

mommyto4QT

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

My 2nd grader is set to finish Book 8 in the Explode the Code series. We've used them for phonics practice/review. He enjoys the books a lot and is reading way above his 2nd grade level. I am curious what I should do after the last Explode the Code book. Should I start a vocabulary workbook? Is there anymore Phonics that we need to learn? Should we do a reading comprehension workbook?
Looking for suggestions that are quick, fun, and easy to teach....similar to what Explode the Code was!!

#2 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22209 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Let him read. :thumbup:

You can do narration, if you'd like. That's much better than a comprehension workbook.
  • momto2Cs and SCGS like this

#3 pollo_la

pollo_la

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Read, read, read!! :-) Select good books and let him loose. There is no need for anything more. I guess if you REALLY wanted to do some kind of LA workbook thing, you could look into Apples and Pears Spelling books.

#4 farrarwilliams

farrarwilliams

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12008 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm going to assume he's already reading plenty. Here, we have a sort of workbook limit and ETC filled a large chunk. When we finished it, it allowed one of my dc to move to doing some other language arts practice and I just put together a hodgepodge of grammar, editing, spelling and vocab practice skills for him from different ebooks and sites.

If you're not doing spelling, I would replace it with spelling.
  • Dialectica likes this

#5 ErinD

ErinD

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

When we are done with phonics/ETC, we switch over to doing spelling and grammar instead, and just let them read good books.

#6 angelmama1209

angelmama1209

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

isn't there a beyond the code?

#7 ByGrace3

ByGrace3

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

isn't there a beyond the code?

Beyond the code is actually designed to go along with the earlier books, not after. I was confused as well! :)

My 2nd grader is about to finish ETC 8 as well. I do think we are going to add a reading comprehension workbook just because she struggles with it, but otherwise I had no intention of replacing it in the schedule. We do spelling, grammar, and writing in addition.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phonics, reading, workbooks, explode the code

What's with the ads?