Menu

Spelling Power?

Gentlemommy

Can you tell me more about this? Have you used it and what did you think? Will it explain the rules to *me*? I'm a natural speller and i never learned phonics rules...I dont think to point them out to dd, because half the time i dont even realize there IS a rule!

I'm thinking about this for my dd7. Next year. Currently she is doing A and P, and doing well with it...she did NOT do well with lots of rules, she couldn't keep them straight or apply them in context. We tried AAS and Spalding, and she hated both. She likes A and P, despite there being a LOT more writing (her nemesis lol). I want to say she has dysgraphia...writing is very very hard for her, and despite VT for six months will reverse letters, words, and numbers if she is concentrating hard on the material, kwim? Anyway, I saw SP at the used book store for $10, and wondered if it was a good program for a kid like dd. she is NOT a natural speller, BUT her mistakes 'make sense' phonetically, kwim? For example, she spelled animal-animul, and power-powir. If SP would be a good program, I think I'd get it, simply because $10 for years worth of spelling all in one place, with game ideas, word lists, ect. would be awesome lol.

I used spelling power for a while and at first we liked it, but then we didnt.

The lists are organized around 'loose' rules . . like the long a sound can be spelled any of these 5 ways . . . but it never explains why you would choose this way over that way. The practice program was really good, though. So you give a test with a new list of words, and any words your child MISSED, they practice . . . i think they spell it out loud and trace it and discuss any unusual bits, i dont remember exactly. but we liked the routine. However, my son did not retain much from it.

we have switched to Logic of English - obviously a lot more expensive - and so far, so good. I am thinking that we might go back to the SP lists after we finish LoE. but we're only on lesson three . . . . but still, my son really understands the rules . . . i think LoE is supposed to be similar to spalding, tho?

I am very happy with Spelling Power, though I have not seen many other programs.

Spelling Power discusses rules as per the poster above. I find this method of rules to be more effective for my understanding of spelling and how one encounters spelling in real life situations.

The practice method is extrememly effective and one of the best aspects of the program.

I keep a running list of misspelled words for each child and do extra review. I also add words that the kids misspell from other assignments to the list. Doing extra review helps for retention.

Another benefit of Spelling Power is that you test your child to see where they start, rather than just starting in a grade level book which may or may not fit the child. You can also proceed as quickly or as slowly as is appropriate to through Spelling Power based on the child's abilities.

I started using Spelling Power this year with a 4th and 5th grader. They are both good spellers because they read a lot. However, I don't think I would recommend this program for someone who struggles with spelling.

The 10 step review of misspelled words takes a maturity that even my older girls lack. They race through the 10 steps without really taking time to learn the words. I think a younger child who struggles with spelling would not thrive in this particular program. That's just my humble opinion. After using it for 5 mos. now, i know I won't use it with my younger daughter because she does not spell well. I'll use AAS with her or something that demands more from her even if she doesn't like it.

I started using it this year and I have seen a tremendous improvement with dd's spelling. The rules make sense to her and she is able to apply them when trying to spell out not only her spelling words but other words in her writing assignments too. We do the 5 minute test each day and I write down any words she missed and we start off with those the next day. For any words she gets wrong dd does the 10 step process for learning them (.http://www.spellingpower.com/spbucd/recordbooks/howtostudyaword.pdf ) It is rare that it takes her more than one day to learn a word but there are occasions that it does. I am so glad we found this program