Menu

math concepts to tackle in kindy?

pehp

What are the most important math goals to meet in kindergarten? We are halfway through the year and I need a pulse check.

My son recognizes numbers 1-20, many numbers 21-100 (he is learning that....he reads prices to me at the grocery store!). Weare doing a bit of drill and he is good at that. He can add all one-digit #s. Skip counting by 2-3-5-7-8, so far. He understands shapes....I cannot think of what else?

I am unsure of exactly what he should know by the end of the year. I'm satisfied with his progress thus far, but also want to be sure we are heading in the right direction. FwIW....we do MUS primer here and there, playing with c-rods, LOF apples....I plan to use MiquonOrange.....haven't decided if we will begin that sooner or later.

TIA!!!

What are the most important math goals to meet in kindergarten? We are halfway through the year and I need a pulse check.

My son recognizes numbers 1-20, many numbers 21-100 (he is learning that....he reads prices to me at the grocery store!). Weare doing a bit of drill and he is good at that. He can add all one-digit #s. Skip counting by 2-3-5-7-8, so far. He understands shapes....I cannot think of what else?

I am unsure of exactly what he should know by the end of the year. I'm satisfied with his progress thus far, but also want to be sure we are heading in the right direction. FwIW....we do MUS primer here and there, playing with c-rods, LOF apples....I plan to use MiquonOrange.....haven't decided if we will begin that sooner or later.

TIA!!!

Understanding place value is on my list. (Dd is doing K math this year, so I'm not just making this up, I promise, lol.) Not just looking at a two-digit number and knowing what it's called, but actually understanding that eleven is the same as ten plus one.

We're working on money basics, too. And greater/lesser than.