Menu

AP USHistory and AP US Gov't

Assume you were going to have your student take the AP class via PAHomeschoolers for one and self study the other, which would you self study and which would you take the AP class? The student would be doing a American Literature class as well, has plenty of resources (TC Lectures, books galore...).

I would definitely do AP US History with PA Homeschoolers. There is so much more to cover in APUSH, and I believe the essay-writing requirements are a lot more rigorous. I can't say enough good things about Mrs. Richman's class--there are just so many opportunities to really learn the material. AP US Government is often a 1 semester course (but 1 year at PA Homeschoolers--I'm sure they add a lot of interesting assignments!), and it can be covered at home relatively easily. We are using Thinkwell for US Gov't (AP Version) and I think the Ethel Wood review book is supposed to be excellent--although my daughter will not be taking the AP Test (senior who is taking 5 other AP tests).

Nancy

Thank you all for your responses, very helpful advice. I will be a challenging year for her daily work load wise, but it is looking like it will be the best possible year to do this particular combination, especially given the exam is set to change the following year.

US Government is no walk in the park. The exam has been revamped and has more constitutional emphases than prior years. And I am a practicing attorney who aced Constitutional Law and Presidential Powers. Just throwing that out there. Dd aced it but only because I taught the subject and am very well versed in the subject. It might be fine for taking via Penn HS but unless I was fairly comfortable with the subject I would shy away from teaching the course myself. That is just my .02 worth feel free to ignore.

It will be her 10th grade year and if I go with what the suggestion here seems to be her overall course load would be:

AP Gov't (Self studied, I think I would use the George Edwards AP Text as a spine with lots of C-Span and selected documents/cases and the suggested study guides)

APUSH via PA Homeschool (with Susan Richman)

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

Lessons 1-90 Saxon Advanced Math

Latin 1 via Lukeion

American Literature/Composition

Spanish 2

7 credits, 2 AP exams, National Latin Exam in Spring. Hmmm. This year she simultaneous is doing Biology and Chemistry-both with labs, World History post 1300, World Literature/Composition, Spanish 1, Saxon Alg. 2 - and Art of Argument and Literary Lessons Lord of the Rings on top of it. I think she can do the above next year and continue her extras. I might have to be diligent about not allowing the Lit/Comp to get too big the way they tend to do. I am assuming the APUSH will have a healthy does of essay practice.?.? Perhaps a lighter does of writing in the Lit area....thinking aloud

APUSH will have an essay each week. They use a 4-week cycle for each of the time periods and have a different type of essay each week. (AP free response, history in the news essay, AP document-based question and cartoon analysis. There are also unlimited opportunities for extra credit bonus work--Mrs. Richman allows double dipping so your daughter will be able to accumulate bonus points for all of the American lit she reads! It really is a wonderful class--all about the learning and absolutely no stress at all.

Nancy, TY for the further information, especially a heads up on the literature bit. When I showed my daughter the write up Mrs. Richman has on the PA Homeschoolers website describing the class, she was very excited about the entire thing. If she is able to get a spot in the class it really does sound like a perfect fit for Dd and our plans for next year.

Nancy, TY for the further information, especially a heads up on the literature bit. When I showed my daughter the write up Mrs. Richman has on the PA Homeschoolers website describing the class, she was very excited about the entire thing. If she is able to get a spot in the class it really does sound like a perfect fit for Dd and our plans for next year.

Inquire early. Send Susan Richman a note and let her know you are interested--even before the class opens up. Her class fills very early.