Menu

Testing at the end of the school year

I live in GA, and I do not need to test my DS (who is 1st grade) at the end of the school year.However, I would like to do it just to be sure we are doing right. My question is - Can I test him at home? Is there any test that I can buy, do test, ans send it somewhere to be scored?

CAT can be ordered from Seton, but it may not give you a lot of info. I live in a testing state and was going to order the CAT and have an extended family member administer, since my state won't allow the parent to administer the test. There is also an online version of the CAT that can be completed at the computer. I am opting to pay someone to administer the Peabody because I think bubbling in is going to stress my 3rd grader out. The Peabody doesn't require bubbling in on a scantron sheet.

You also can check and see if anyone local to you is doing a group test. I've done this the last two years, and my DD has actually enjoyed being in a group with other kids and doing "School stuff" for a couple of days-although I think one reason she likes it is that so far, her grade levels haven't taken as long to test as the big kids, so all the kids who have parents who are proctoring the tests end up staying on the playground with their group until the older age groups are done-so in 1st grade she had a good hour a day of playing outside :).

I use the Stanford 10. This year I will be ordering from www.bjupress.com. BJU sells both the Stanford and ITBS. The biggest difference between the two is that the Stanford is untimed, but the ITBS is timed. It's easy to become a qualified tester and you are allowed to test your own child as long as you are following your state's homeschooling laws.

I use the Stanford 10. This year I will be ordering from www.bjupress.com. BJU sells both the Stanford and ITBS. The biggest difference between the two is that the Stanford is untimed, but the ITBS is timed. It's easy to become a qualified tester and you are allowed to test your own child as long as you are following your state's homeschooling laws.

Yes, this. I've done this for the last two years and will do it again. It doesn't take too long to become a qualified tester, I test the kids at home, and then send them in. Results come back fairly quickly now that they email them to you (I think 7-10 days).

Yes, this. I've done this for the last two years and will do it again. It doesn't take too long to become a qualified tester, I test the kids at home, and then send them in. Results come back fairly quickly now that they email them to you (I think 7-10 days).

In NC, we aren't required to test until the student is 7, which meant 2nd grade for us (late summer birthday), but I wanted testing for my own purposes as well. We used the Woodcock Johnson III, as it seemed to better accommodate a wiggly Ker and 1st grader. :001_smile: . It is more expensive than something like the CAT, because it has to be administered by someone certified, but took only 45 min-an hour, was primarily oral (no bubble sheets), and I got the results immediately. If you go this route, look for someone who is doing the WJ-III achievement test not the cognitive (IQ) test (also called the Woodcock-Johnson). I would ask around in your local homeschool group or, if you have a store that sells homeschool materials, ask the staff for recommendations. We paid about $70 for an abbreviated version of the achievement test.

I've also used the ITBS, when she was a bit older, and liked it. We got ours through Triangle Assessments (www.triangleeducationassessments.com). The only potential catch for this is that you have to have a bachelor's degree to qualify to give it to your children. You don't have to have that for the CAT. I don't know about the Stanford 10. Another option would be the PASS test , which was developed especially for homeschoolers. https://www.hewittho...ng/tMain.aspx I haven't used anything but the ITBS or WJ-III, so can't speak from personal experience.

I found the following link to be very useful in understanding more about the various tests and what each can tell you. http://www.hoagiesgi...s_tell_us.htm It addresses IQ and achievement tests as well as the differences between the kinds of achievement tests.

I just read this on bju.

"May parents administer tests to their own children?

Yes; publisher guidelines in 2009 now allow qualified, approved parents to administer the Stanford test without

stipulations concerning testing relatives. Please note that some states may not permit parental administration of the

test. It is the parents’ responsibility to ensure that state requirements are being met."