Menu

Common App has released essay topics for 2013-2014

Brenda in MA

Hi Everyone,

The Common App has just released the essay topics for 2013-14 applications. There is no longer a "choose a topic of your choice" prompt. I'm glad to see that they increased the maximum length from 500 to 650 words.

So what says the hive?

Brenda

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are the new questions (https://www.commonap...cementFinal.pdf):

Instructions. The essay demonstrates your ability to write clearly and concisely on a selected topic and

helps you distinguish yourself in your own voice. What do you want the readers of your application to

know about you apart from courses, grades, and test scores? Choose the option that best helps you

answer that question and write an essay of no more than 650 words, using the prompt to inspire and

structure your response. Remember: 650 words is your limit, not your goal. Use the full range if you need

it, but don't feel obligated to do so. (The application won't accept a response shorter than 250 words.)

• Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their

application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

• Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons

did you learn?

• Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you

make the same decision again?

• Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience

there, and why is it meaningful to you?

• Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from

childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.

While there is not an official topic of choice I think this prompt will function much the same way: "Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story."

I'm very glad they've bumped it up to 650 words and that there is a firm limit now.

So these are the questions for the students applying to start college in 2014? Good heavens- that's DD!

Same here for my guy! I think they've done a good job giving a variety of topics.

Usually one can't start the common app until Aug 1st... so we can still procrastinate a little... unless they've changed that for this class (possible, I haven't looked).

Oh my, that's my oldest too. YIKES!

Glad I'm not the only one with that reaction! lol

I agree that the prompts sound good and the first one is just about the same as saying that you can write whatever you like.

I'm also glad I'm not the one who has to write this. I don't even remember having to write an essay years ago.