Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

@SKL

A while ago you sounded ambivalent about AHG, but your recent posts sound more engaged. What caused the change?

Several of our Pioneers have done a Tenderheart badge-in-an-afternoon, open to all local troops but with a limited enrollment, as their multi-troop event. TH badges are short and easy to teach and summer gives everyone more flexibility on time. 

Does your troop do a troop-wide badge each year? Good for the teach a younger unit requirement. 

I am willing to try to make AHG work, as long as it can be done mostly in the summer and we don't feel guilted into giving up every other Thursday evening during the school year.  Also, now that I have 2 kids at the same level, I feel like there is more momentum from their side.  My younger kid really wants to do some badges, whereas the other kid didn't seem to care at all last year.

We don't do troop-wide badges.  But I should be able to find out what badges the younger units are planning for next year, and get on their calendar to teach one.  Another idea is to get the kids set up for one of the museum programs that are free here.

• Like 2

My dd 14 is finishing up her Silver Award project as I'm typing đŸ˜‰Â  It's only her second year in scouts, but she's had a great time.  She'll be bridging this year, they're talking about working on a journey next year.. she'll be a high school freshman, do they usually start on Gold Awards after that?  Or is it a couple of years and they start as high school juniors/seniors?  I was in girl scouts when I was teeny tiny, which is so long ago it's ridiculous, and so I'm not at all up to date on how it all works..

• Like 1

Monday night will (hopefully) decide the fate of our girl's troop at the church. I'm not sure where we'll try if they turn us down. Fingers crossed they don't because that will move things right along. 

I sent the money for dd1 to go to summer camp. I also signed her up for a camp-out/work day in 2 weeks. It is at the camp where she will have summer camp, so she will get acquainted with it before there are a bunch of people there. I will be coming up during the day Saturday so I can observe and learn about Troop life and help out. I've not been to a lot of Troop meetings (as we have AHG at the time).

Monday is our BOR for AHG (and my Explorers are finishing their Outdoor Skills badge) and then next Sat is our last outing (a hike). The 20th is Red, White, and Blue.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

DS is at his first Sea Scout activity right now. They're spending the day cleaning up around the boathouse and making sure the boats are ready for summer boating and sailing. Now if I can just get him to finish his Eagle Scout project and that last required merit badge before he takes on anything else! I have a feeling this next year (his junior year of high school) is going to be insanely busy.

• Like 2

My 10yo daughter did her project for her cub Seeonee Award.   Last week she leapt up to Scouts.   We also finished the fundraising for her trip to the States with the troop this summer.

And.....  I'm done.  I hate the new scout program here, and I hate how things are being implemented.   I think the scout leader is great in that he cares about the kids and spends a lot of time and work on scouting, but I'm just not happy with things the last few years.  It is a lot of little things.

Like... my son has volunteered with the Beaver Scouts 5 years now... attending every meeting etc.  First as a "Kim" (a scout that helps younger sections) and this year as a Youth Scouter (Teen age 15-17 that takes all the training that adult scouters do and then works like an adult scouter.)  And my 13yo daughter has 3 years working as a Kim with Beavers or Scouts.  And... no recognition at all.  Not a thank you or mention even when recognizing adult scouters. 

And....  With the new program, it has become "Birthday Party Scouting" in our troop.  The troop leaned that way before, but with the new program, so little is required.  And although the badges are easier in many ways, trying to actually do them is harder.  My kids went from EARNING several badges a year to pretty much earning none.  

There is so much more.... but I'm done.  I no longer want to drive to meetings 2x a week, fundraising, feeling like a freeloader because the troop pays for my kids at things like bowling and laser tag (the troop is great for the no one left out due to finances policy... And my family lives on a disability income)  etc.

Haven't figured out how to convince my husband.  I felt like this last year, but he talked me into registering them again.  And the kids will not be happy.  And I don't have an activity to replace it for my youngest 2.

My oldest (boy) will be 16, and not interested in much of anything anymore...  he is hoping to get a job...

My next (girl) is 13 and also is heavily involved in Air Cadets...

My other girls will be 11 and 9.  They would be old enough to join Navy League Cadets...  but it is the same night and time as the 13yo's Air Cadets, in totally different areas of the city.

Scouts in another group is out in my opinion because of the cost and the program changes.  Girl Guides... Maybe... but I think the cost even with assistance would also be a lot.

Anyway... just needed to talk.

I would have posted a picture of my daughter leaping up, but another scout photo bombed it... (parents participate, so another person had my phone).

And I would have posted a picture of my daughter getting her Seeonee Award....  except they made no Ceremony of mention of it, except handing her a stack of crests/badges for her campfire blanket and scout uniform. 

• Sad 2

On 5/6/2019 at 12:18 AM, scoutingmom said:

I would have posted a picture of my daughter leaping up, but another scout photo bombed it... (parents participate, so another person had my phone).

And I would have posted a picture of my daughter getting her Seeonee Award....  except they made no Ceremony of mention of it, except handing her a stack of crests/badges for her campfire blanket and scout uniform. 

Im so sorry scoutingmom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just wrapped up phase 2 of Pokeman's Eagle Project -- Supply Collection and increasing community awareness.  DS's group of volunteers spoke to more than 1,000 people about Centro Laila (non profit organization that helps refugees/immigrants/local families in need with child care, supplies, after school care, food, and transportation).  We did well with the supplies donated, but personally I was really shocked at how many people couldn't be bothered to donate a $1.00 bag of black beans, or 1 can of veggies or fruit.  We were blessed by a few people donating a lot -- but I can't help but feel like it should have been more.  All of the items collected have been inventoried, and now he has to make a shopping list from the money raised during the breakfast burrito sale to fill in the gaps. I was hoping that we'd get enough beans, rice and canned fruits and veggies that he could use the money to purchase the more expensive items (canned meats, cleaning supplies, plates/cups), but that didn't happen.  We have enough clothing, shoes and supplies that we will more than fill my van and my husband's car.  DS still has to email his Troop and remind them that if they have anything they would like to donate (from the list) to please bring it to the meeting, and then invite any scouts willing to help load/unload to the organization on Tuesday night.  I'm also going to have him email the commissary and see if they have anything he might be able to pick up (free) or any discount that could be applied to larger purchases.   They may say no -- but it's worth a try.

In the end, he'll deliver nearly $3,000 worth of clothing, food and supplies to the organization.  It's a pretty substantive amount.  Along the way we've talked about things that worked really well, and things he could have done better.  Honestly, with all of the extra hoops we had to go through -- not the least of which having another group out there selling breakfast burritos on our day (THAT, after the nonsense legal gave us 2 months earlier), we weren't sure it was going to come together.  But it did.  Now, he's in the final stretch (oh, and I'm still in Italy because no one seems to understand the process for getting us out of here).

• Like 2

Hi all!

i just dropped back in to say that DD18 was inducted into the Order of the Arrow this weekend as part of this chapter’s first ever Call-Out to include female youth.  She and the other two girls inducted were all from her Venture Crew, but it is expected there will be female youth from Scout troops in the future.

DD18 has earned her Summit Award this year (highest award for Venturers) and inducted to OA is a great cap to a good year.  She was recruited to work on staff at two different scout camps this year - with the inclusion of girls at camps this year, there is a real need for young women with leadership experience to serve as staff and mentors for the female campers.  DD will be teaching archery at the camp in Juneaa and the High Adventure camp at Denali.  Then, she heads East to work staff at the World Jamboree this summer.

She is on track to complete her Ranger year as well - most likely before heading off to college in the fall.

• Like 3

Our joint Cub Scout/Scout camp out this weekend was cancelled since it was in the low 40s with 2 inches of rain and steady 20mph winds. The Scouts considered camping anyway but the miserableness combined with possible flooding on the access roads to our camp made the PLC call it off Friday. So DW (Weblos DL), DS10(newly crossed over scout), and DS12 were all warm at home.

I on the other hand drove a couple of our scouts and was an adult candidate at our Order of the Arrow Ordeal weekend. Overall it was a great time but I don't think I've been that cold and wet in around 20 years.

We had a few female candidates including at least one Summit awardee, but all of our females were dual registered in Scouts BSA. We did get commemorative lodge patches with Scouts, Venturing, and Sea Scouts logos to mark the changes. 

PS: One of our female inductees was elected a vice-chief which was pretty cool.

Edited by raptor_dad
  • Like 1

Your posts about girls in BSA prompted me to research whether we have any girl troops nearby.  We have one about 4 miles away.  So I asked them to send me info.  I do still want my girls to continue in AHG, but I don't think it has comparable clout on a resume, to be honest.  In fact, the way things are going nowadays, I wonder if it might even be a turn-off for some.  I don't think we can do both, but I thought I should at least look at it and see if I should discuss it with my girls.  If the requirements are things they would hate doing anyway, or couldn't really squeeze in, then at least I would know not to think about it any more.

Oldest DS received his Life rank patch last night.  He and his Scoutmaster think he can complete his Eagle requirements in six months.  His parents think a year to a year and a half is more likely.  DS was inducted into OA earlier this spring.  He plans to spend the summer camping and working on merit badges.  

Youngest DS is plugging away at his lower rank requirements.  He has a few Tenderfoot requirements to complete at summer camp.  In the meantime he is working on his Second Class fitness requirements.  

My DS11 joined Scouts a few months ago and did his first hike with the group on Sunday.  He had a wonderful time and got some positive reinforcement from the older Scouts and the leader that made him feel very good about the experience.

We had not been looking to get him involved in Scouts but I happened to meet a local scoutmaster who seems like a genuinely good guy and is very committed to an inclusive troop.  I thought for sure that the fact that DS cannot participate on Saturdays for religious reasons would be a dealbreaker, but the scoutmaster assured me that it was not and that they would make it work.  And DS, who too-often dwells in his older brother's shadow, really needs an activity that is all his.  

Hopefully it will work out.  DS is not at all ready to go away to camp this summer but the scoutmaster suggested that he visit for a day when the troop is camping, so we'll make that happen.

• Like 1

Both of my boys just finished up their Seeonee Award (Canandian top-section award for cubs)requirements.  It will be awarded to them at our end-of-year celebration/move-up ceremony next month.  I'm proud of them - they worked hard for it.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

I am curious how fast a girl can catch up to the age/grade norms in BSA Scouts.  My girls are finishing 7th grade.  They are 12 with October and January birthdays.  Where would they be if they had been in BSA all along and kept up with the usual timelines?

42 minutes ago, SKL said:

I am curious how fast a girl can catch up to the age/grade norms in BSA Scouts.  My girls are finishing 7th grade.  They are 12 with October and January birthdays.  Where would they be if they had been in BSA all along and kept up with the usual timelines?

It is up to the individuals as to how fast they advance. There are 7 ranks- scout, tenderfoot, second class, first class, star, life, and eagle. The first ranks they can work on concurrently and going to summer camp can give you a big leg up on that b/c they have a program to work on several of those things needed. For first class, star, and life they also have a time requirement to finish as well - 4 months, 6 months, and 6 months. They could possibly finish in 18 months to 2 years if they really worked at it. 

@JennyD

Your Ds11 is like my ds in some ways. I am glad y'all are jumping in and I hope it's a great adventure for him! 

My ds is enjoying the encouragement and welcome from the older boys. And having his own thing, where he doesn't follow his older sister. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Given that girls couldn't even join BSA until February of this year, the first girls are currently working on ranks ranging from Scout to First Class.   As Soror mentioned, a scout advances at his or her own pace.  Scout can be earned in less than a month. Tenderfoot's personal fitness requirement takes a month to complete but can be started as soon as the scout joins the troop so it is possible to complete Scout and Tenderfoot ranks within the same month.  The Second Class rank requires 30 days of fitness tracking that can be begun as soon as the Tenderfoot fitness requirement is completed.  Other than that, Second Class depends on how active the troop is since the scout must participate in five troop or patrol activities in addition to attending meetings.  Two of these must be campouts.  First Class requires that the scout participate in 10 activities (cumulative since joining scouting).    The typical scout takes one to two years to complete Scout through First Class.  A few move more quickly and some take longer.   It takes a minimum of nine months to complete Star and Life requirements and minimum of six months to complete Eagle.   Most scouts take longer.  

The time from Scout to Eagle depends not only on the scout but also on the troop.  A dedicated scout will advance more quickly through most requirements.  But, scouts can be stalled by lack of available leadership positions (most are elected by fellow scouts) and camping/outdoor activities.

' 

I googled BSA scout camps available for girls.  There is one that is driveable for me (a long drive ... but it's close to a Kalahari so...).  Apparently they can do badges there, and hopefully it would count for some of the camping requirements.  We already have this summer planned up, but maybe next year ....

56 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

@JennyD

Your Ds11 is like my ds in some ways. I am glad y'all are jumping in and I hope it's a great adventure for him! 

My ds is enjoying the encouragement and welcome from the older boys. And having his own thing, where he doesn't follow his older sister. 

Thanks, ScoutTN!  When we were considering this I remembered that your DS was a Scout and that had it had been a good experience for him.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

19-20 months is just about as fast as they can do it. We had a boy Eagle at 12, but he was able to join at 10 as he'd finished 5th grade. Ds Eagled at 13, but he joined a bit later as he came in with his den, so lost a half-year waiting for AoL. It is possible to make 1st Class before a year, but they have to hustle. 

There is an extension available now: https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/01/31/temporary-transition-rules-give-new-scouts-bsa-members-the-chance-to-earn-eagle/

But let's remember, it's about the journey, not the "finish line". Ds stayed in, eventually serving as OA Chief, earning all 135 mbs, being honored with Vigil, and earning all 5 parts of the National Outdoor Awards. 

http://meritbadgeknot.com/scoutbios/cranor-tim.pdf

Sounds like we would have time as the girls are now 12.  They will be in college when they are 17, so they essentially have 5 years, but earlier is better as other interests / demands take up more and more of their time.

Reading over the requirements, it seems like it should not take a long time to get to Second Class, provided we find a troop that is active over the summer.

I have not heard back from the place listed as our closest girl troop.  After doing a little more research, I am now not sure it exists.  There is another one about twice as far (but still closer than our AHG meetings); they meet Sunday afternoons, which seems do-able for us; I sent them a request for info today.

Pokeman's Eagle project is DONE.  He collected and delivered more than $4,000 worth of supplies, food, toys and clothing to the center here.  The write up is almost complete (have to add the photos), and then he can submit the completed packet.  Final OA event this weekend, and I am supposed to fly out Tues or Weds (waiting on the email with the information).  Dad will have to oversee getting him to the board of review and everything...they fly out in 4 weeks.  DS learned a lot from this project -- mostly, that you can't really "over plan." (As adults, we do know that it's possible to over-plan, but usually difficulties are because we don't plan enough). I'm hoping to get an article in the Panorama about the project -- with a personal note.  DS is looking forward to finding a new troop in the Hampton Roads area.  My younger girls are hoping to find an AHG troop, and DD is hoping we live close enough to the Aquarium she can volunteer there.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Well, our troop is not as high-octane as yours, Margaret, but it is good fit for my Ds.

He will get Scout rank, Swimming mb and Mammal Study mb at the Court of Honor next week. He has only the exercise requirement left to do for TF. Heat index here has averaged over 100 for the last several weeks, so that mile run can wait until it decides to actually be fall!

They camped and did some fun pioneering projects to practice scout skills last month. Backpacking near Stone Door in a couple of weeks. Ds is thrilled to be grubmaster for his patrol for the backpacking trip! 

He needs to finish the First Aid mb that he got about half done at camp last summer. 

• Like 1

Hi, I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but we decided to stick with AHG after all.  I was wondering if we should try to do BSA as well, and I found a nearby troop, and the leader finally contacted me & said she would be in touch after June camping.  But I haven't heard back since then.  I haven't even discussed BSA with my girls.  My eldest is kind of anti-everything these days, so I would rather focus my "oh yes you wills" on existing commitments.  I guess we could still join BSA later if Mary Contrary gets a better attitude.

We did some work over the summer for various AHG badges - some individually and some as a unit / troop.  I am still hopeful that my eldest can get the level award this year.  She has to complete 5 more badges, which are in various stages of completion already.  (Zoology, Outdoor Skills, Emergency Preparedness, Family Helper, and Creative Writing.)  I think we're set with service hours and special events.  We have some ideas for the mentoring and the service project, but need to do a lot more on those.  The Tenderhearts are doing the Physical Fitness badge, and my eldest would be good for leading a couple of those badge requirements.

One of the other girls in the troop had an idea to have a Spa Day for the younger girls, as part of the Best Me I can Be badge.  Then we thought that would be a good time for my eldest to do the physical fitness mentoring.  Then my youngest thought it would be fun, as part of the music appreciation badge, to include different types of music for the relaxing part (spa day) and the active part (fitness).  We are checking with the troop leader to see if we can have the Mother Daughter Night to do this, or if we will need to plan something on an otherwise non-scout night.  (Maybe I should look at the Best Me I can Be badge and see if it makes sense to just do that whole badge ....)

The girls led a flag retirement ceremony a few weeks ago, which felt like an accomplishment.

We did a lot of stuff for the camping badge over the summer.  With and without the scouts, my girls camped out 6 nights, and finished a bunch of requirements.  My youngest got the canoeing badge.  (The eldest had to miss that for a volleyball tournament.)  Youngest is also working on her Horsemanship badge.

We still have a lot to finish for the God and Church pin.  We did make some progress over the summer though.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@JennyD

Is your middle ds still doing scouts? 

You're sweet to ask!  Yes, he is.  It's a great troop and the scoutmaster is amazing.  DS does not want me to be involved even one little bit so I am not 100% sure of what exactly he has been doing, but apparently he is making progress and he is definitely enjoying it a lot.  He's done some day hikes and next month will go on one of the camping trips.  

That's interesting that you mention physical fitness requirements.  DS just got home an hour ago and said that tonight they did pushups, situps, and a half-mile run.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1

My AHG Patriot is working on Our Flag and has only one camping night left to finish the camping badge. Woohoo! Our whole troop is doing Young Meteorologist this year, but I think the PiPas have been too busy with camping and flag things to start it. Dd ran a Joining Badge 101 event (like Bobcat Day for CS), last weekend as a multi-troop activity, so that requirement for her next level award is done! She will have plenty of service hours for AHG, but probably only enough for the silver Presidential this year, since she dropped a major volunteering gig to make more time for  academics and down time. She has two stars, 40 hours, so far as a Patriot. Over Christmas, we will get her the longer sash and redo it so that she can fit all her badges on better. It wouldn't have worked until this year because she wasn't tall enough last year for it to look right. 

Troop campout in ten days, but I will scrap it if the heat and drought don't break. Averaging high 90's with heat index over 100 here right now. Plus fire ban means no campfires (not that anyone wants a fire in the heat). Ugh!

• Like 2

This has been a weird Summer for us. Good, bad, and otherwise.

Good:

DS13 earned Weather, Woodcarving, and Emergency Prep merit badges at camp and his Star rank. Even better, unlike the previous 2 years, I didn't have any tedious conversations about discipline issues with the Scoutmaster at either parents' weekend or the end of camp. DS13  was just elected a patrol leader.

DS11 was at his first summer camp. He earned the First Aid merit badge and Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks at camp. So he earned First Class in six months vs 2 1/2 yrs for DS13. I had expected Second  Class. He'd done the fitness stuff and had enough activities but this was a surprise. Apparently my skepticism was apparent because I had 2 Scoutmasters from other troops and one previous SM from our troop, who had been on his Boards of Review tell me what a great job he'd done. So First Class at then age 10 (Both boys crossed over at 10 1/2 with Arrow of Light).

Our troop runs its own Summer Camp with another troop and has had female Venture Crews for at least the last 5-10years. This year the Venture Crew alumni were all adult staff and we had a linked Scouts BSA girl troop.. Female Venture Crews had always been good, but I was surprised how much better having a patrol of more age diverse girls was.

Bad:

Every year at camp we run a 3 day out of camp trip the first week. This year it was a backpacking trip. The "plan" was to do patrol based trips on the Superior Hiking Trail. Planning was light and during camp they figured out that wasn't realistic for some of the younger Scouts. The Scouts ended up voting to split into non-patrol age based groups and have a backpacking group and a hiking group. Both my kids were in the younger group. DS13 was mildly disappointed. DS11 was pissed. I don't think the Scouter's realized how bad this was til after the trip. It will be fine. The older kids had a great time. There are plans for a Spring backpacking trip for all Scouts. But, this was entirely predictable and a downside of a very Scout led troop.  

Otherwise:

Our Scoutmaster is retiring at the end of camp Summer 2020. Succession planning isn't what anyone wants. DW and I are in the half dozen folks who could step into those responsibilities. Over the Summer, we've decide to leave Minneapolis for DW to take a better job in Seattle.. The two major pieces of unfinished business here are Scouts and DW's vice-presidency of our multistate trail running group .

Our current troop will be fine. We have good finances, active scouts, and an active  alumni group. The next 24+ months will be bumpy but  it will work out. I'm not sure who will be Scoutmaster vs Assistant, grudgingly or otherwise, but it will work out

Talking about the Summer Camp issue, I told out current SM... "Look DS-then-12. has at that point done a 3 day river canoe trip, a 4 day Boundary Waters trip, a 100 mile bike trip, and 60 nights of camping(50 in tents)". That is pretty impressive... as a Scout led troop the things that annoy me and the things I like are very linked.

Going forward, finding troops in Seattle is slightly complicated. We are looking for very liberal troops who also have a very aggressive outdoors program. Many troops look shockingly expensive from a midwestern perspective. DS13 will be fine... If we can't find a good troop we'll slot him into Sea Scouts or Venturing. DS11 is more complicated... we need an active troop who lets younger kids do HA stuff. I can't see him tolerating a highly structured council camp after our free form summer camp... likewise this high adventure as a reward for older Scouts seems unlikely to fly. We'll see... He wants to come back to MN for Summer Camp and we have a couple alumni Scouts from WY who do that every year... So we'll see...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ds has enjoyed his first two camping trips with the troop. Next month is a mbu to get First Aid and a trip to Mammoth Cave. He has just the fitness requirement and the BOR left to earn his TF rank. 

My AHG troop had a lovely campout a couple of weeks ago. Relaxed pace, a little hiking, a little outdoor skills practice, lots of hang out time. A little rain one night, but not a big storm. We overbought on food and I learned a lot about running the kitchen and about what directions the girls need in doing the food. Dd is coasting a bit in AHG right now, just doing whatever badgework happens unit time, but nothing outside of that. She is working hard just to keep up with school work and I don't think she really has time to work on badges right now. She may do Teen Pact this winter, which will fulfill a bunch of Citizenship and Government requirements. 

• Like 1

Hi, our PiPa unit has figured out some of the requirements for the older Pioneers to get the level award.  We are planning to run the mother-daughter event in November.  One of the girls suggested doing a spa day, which I felt was a great idea.  We are also going to fit in some financial management stuff for the younger girls.  Both 2nd year pioneers will work on this.  We will tack on a service event - OCC packing party - led by my daughter.  This should cover at least 2 if not 3 of the level award requirements.  The other girl wants to do a different service activity, so I hope it is on a day we can attend and support her in that.

We haven't made much recent progress on badge work, and we need to step up.  My kids have Thursday and Friday off school, so hopefully Thursday will go for preparing for the event (AHG meeting is Thursday night) and Friday for badge work.

• Like 2

My middle turned in his paperwork for his Eagle and is just waiting to hear back on setting up his Board of Review.  He is pretty excited and relieved that he is almost done.  He isn't sure what he wants to do after he earns Eagle.  Right now he is SPL, but he would like to hand that off.  He has been in some sort of leadership for years and I think he really wants a break.

My youngest made First Class over the summer and is determined to Eagle at a younger age than his brother.  He is hoping to finish by next Christmas, but that would be pretty tight timing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DS is off to attend an all day welding merit badge class. It's not close, so he was up and out the door early for the drive. He's been interested in trying welding for awhile and is hoping he'll actually get a lot of hands on. He's been working on his very large and very complicated Eagle project for over two years, but is finally getting close to completion of the actual construction part, so he's hoping paperwork and Board of Review can be done in the next few months. He has two requirements left on the last Eagle required merit badge and if he finishes one other partial merit badge, he'll have enough for four palms! I'm trying to keep him going because all his friends aged out of the troop, we have trouble getting adult participation that would allow more high adventure activities, and he's lost interest in doing much with the troop. DH is the Scoutmaster, so ds usually gets dragged along anyway although he's starting to fight that too. Fortunately, he found a Sea Scout Ship and that has reignited his interest in Scouts.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Palms!

Strangely, he doesn't really want palms.  It seems like he is trying to avoid them for some reason.  It is odd because when he was a Webelos he worked hard to get all 20 of the activity badges.  He sets goals for himself and works hard to achieve them, but I can never tell what it is that will be something he cares about.  I think he may be done with scouts though.  It is sad because he has done it since he was a Tiger cub, but I think he is wanting to move on, though it makes him sad to think about because in his view he has done it pretty much his whole life.  DS loved Venturing, but our crew died out and we were never able to get enough people interested/recruited to keep it going.  I wish they still had an explorer post (branch of the BSA) around here, but it died out shortly after DH aged out of it many years ago.  He has been wanting to possibly do a police cadet program or something instead.

57 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

The CG has officially taken over Sea Scouts--anything with CG in your area? We have a really good Post up north with the FD and EMTs. 

DS got to take a Safety at Sea course with his Sea Scout Ship at at Coast Guard Station on one of the Great Lakes. It was a really cool experience and some things he hadn't done before.

• 2 months later...

My eldest has met all of the requirements for her Pioneer level award, except for some badge requirements and getting those badges signed off.

The OCC packing party was a big deal - successful I think, but we learned a lot that we wished we'd known before.  I suggested that my youngest (1st year Pioneer) run this next year - and next time we will use the online resources and get a much earlier start.  (This year, it wasn't even an idea in our minds until way too late for proper planning.)

The spa day was great too.  The troop really seemed to enjoy it.  My oldest dd ran the nail polish table, and my youngest ran the hair station.  Other stations were face/skin care and general body hygiene.  We had some nice treats and played some spa-like music.  Someone brought recliner chairs and other fun props.  Really a good idea for our troop.

As far as badges, we keep hopping around from one arts badge to another ... still not sure which we will finish.  We did some of the requirements for theater, musical performance, and creative writing.  For science, zoology is essentially finished other than presenting certain things to the troop.  Emergency preparedness, outdoor skills, and family helper are close.  But we really need to focus.  We've been having some focus issues over the past couple months ... hopefully we'll get past that.

My youngest is well on her way with her requirements.  For the level award, she just needs to run a service project (hopefully the next OCC) and finish 5 badges.  She has over a year to do that.

After cross-over, I am hoping to finish up the next round of badges as soon as possible ... many of them are largely done.  I want to get most requirements behind us as other demands ramp up.

• Like 3

My dd (14), GS Senior, finished her silver award last school year so now her troop is working on a journey for this year and thinking about possible gold award projects.  It's been tricky for her; she's the only homeschooler in the troop, and the other girls chose projects for their silver award that were tied to their respective schools.. even for gold awards, we've heard about completed gold award projects at the annual awards ceremonies, and it always seems to be connected somehow to their school.. which I guess makes sense because it's easier, but it's different for dd since she doesn't have that ready, supportive environment available. So we've been cycling through potential ideas...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SKL said:

My eldest has met all of the requirements for her Pioneer level award, except for some badge requirements and getting those badges signed off.

The OCC packing party was a big deal - successful I think, but we learned a lot that we wished we'd known before.  I suggested that my youngest (1st year Pioneer) run this next year - and next time we will use the online resources and get a much earlier start.  (This year, it wasn't even an idea in our minds until way too late for proper planning.)

The spa day was great too.  The troop really seemed to enjoy it.  My oldest dd ran the nail polish table, and my youngest ran the hair station.  Other stations were face/skin care and general body hygiene.  We had some nice treats and played some spa-like music.  Someone brought recliner chairs and other fun props.  Really a good idea for our troop.

As far as badges, we keep hopping around from one arts badge to another ... still not sure which we will finish.  We did some of the requirements for theater, musical performance, and creative writing.  For science, zoology is essentially finished other than presenting certain things to the troop.  Emergency preparedness, outdoor skills, and family helper are close.  But we really need to focus.  We've been having some focus issues over the past couple months ... hopefully we'll get past that.

My youngest is well on her way with her requirements.  For the level award, she just needs to run a service project (hopefully the next OCC) and finish 5 badges.  She has over a year to do that.

After cross-over, I am hoping to finish up the next round of badges as soon as possible ... many of them are largely done.  I want to get most requirements behind us as other demands ramp up.

Interesting. OCC packing party tends to be a Explorer run event in our troop. And yes, it's often somewhat last minute.  I keep trying to get people to think ahead, take advantage of school supply deals, etc. But... no good so far.

28 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Interesting. OCC packing party tends to be a Explorer run event in our troop. And yes, it's often somewhat last minute.  I keep trying to get people to think ahead, take advantage of school supply deals, etc. But... no good so far.

The Samaritan's Purse website has a suggested timeline and other resources for people who plan ahead.  đŸ™‚Â 

This year was our troop's first OCC party ever, so there was no established structure or anything other than a few words of wisdom from our troop leader.  So it was a real challenge for my 13-year-old.  Next year part of the goal will be to establish an annual plan so that it can be an easier project going forward.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Anything for a faith community? We've had projects for the city, Nat'l Parks, fire department, Am Legion, cemeteries, and food pantries. One GS did a marble kiosk for the city, and taught marbles classes. Her little brother wants to do the same thing, only for the national marbles group, as he won the national title last year. 

Thanks for the suggestions! It will be interesting to see what she ultimately focuses on.  So far her ideas have been... unrealistic.  Admirable, but not practical for here đŸ˜‰

• 1 month later...

My eldest is on her last month to finish requirements for her Harriet Tubman award (AHG).  She is 90-100% done with all the required badges; but we need to document things and she needs to present some things to her troop/unit.  The hardest thing for both my girls right now is having to make up and direct another person to perform a song (in front of the troop).  This is a requirement of the music performance badge.

We are well on our way to finishing some additional badges, but hope to do that after cross-over so that they can count for the next level.  Signed up for camping in June.  My girls will be thrilled.  đŸ˜›

Working on the God and Church pin has stalled.  So much going on.  Still not sure but maybe it will get done this spring ... and if it gets done after crossover, not sure whether it will count toward Dolley Madison....

• Like 2

I"m starting to think about where and when we're going to have DS's Eagle Court of Honor. We're waiting for final paperwork back from Council, but he's been invited to the Eagle banquet for all 2019 Eagle Scouts. He's working on his 4th Palm and needs to finish one more merit badge. He's also working on Ordinary rank in Sea Scouts and got an invitation to the Koch International Sea Scout Cup this summer!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ds is hopefully having his TF SM conference and BOR in the next week. He is working on the Personal Fitness mb and the troop is working on the Mining one. Haven't heard yet if summer camp is happening or not.

Dd (AHG Patriot) is thinking through next year because she will be the Patriot unit leader. She is working on Book Adventurer and Cooking badges. When some of her schoolwork wraps up, she'll work on finishing Our Flag and doing Citizenship& Government.  She is also working on her Spiritual Development program. That is the last thing she needs for her Dolley Madison level award. 

Our AHG troop has girls planning to attend the Trail Life/AHG Night Ops event in September, so they will begin preparations for that as soon as CV restrictions ease up a bit here. Shouldn't be too hard to do bc they can be outside and are a group of less than 10. 

Edited by ScoutTN

The Koch Cup Regatta has been postponed until 2021. Hopefully, DS and his sailing partner will be able to do it then. It would have been an amazing opportunity and now we don't even know if he'll get to go.đŸ˜¢

He finished Eagle rank four months ago and we still haven't been able to plan an Eagle Court of Honor. Who knows when it'll even be possible. The Eagle banquet was postponed to next week, but probably will be moved again or won't happen at all. DH is trying to do online meetings with Scouts, but attendance isn't that great. He's hoping they can do something like a bike ride by the end of the month to get them outdoors in an activity that allows them to stay apart. Summer camp is still being planned, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets canceled too.

10 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

And I just realized that I may not be able to take the troop to camp, even if it opens, due to my age! And Philmont may be out as I'll be 65 two weeks after the session I want to go to! Arg!

Are they enforcing an age limit at Philmont even if you otherwise meet health requirements? I don't think that will go over well.

18 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

Are they enforcing an age limit at Philmont even if you otherwise meet health requirements? I don't think that will go over well.

I don’t think an age limit has been put into place for Philmont. I haven’t heard anything about that, but I will ask around. There has been some talk about altering the program when it does open, but I don’t think that is official yet, so I won’t give any details. 

I am not aware of any age based restrictions here in New Mexico. there have been 0 cases of the virus so far in Philmont’s zip code and only 5 cases in the entire county. The local community wants to keep in that way. Today I saw the first report of a local restaurant (pick up only) that is going to require anyone from out of town to wear a mask to enter the building. They will offer curb side service for those who don’t wear masks.