#1 LNC

LNC

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3411 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

How do you use this?

We need a more visual spine for history. I like the 3 week sample of Biblioplan companion with the workbook pages, but they are still working on year 3. We have early modern and modern coming up.

This is what I am planning to schedule:

Early Modern History schedule 36 weeks:
1600-1849
History Odyssey chapters
Sotw 3
TQ AOR 1&2 commentary
Famous Men of Modern Times and workbook
History of US, Joy Hakim

Notebook:
Spiral notebook for HO chapter outlines
Topic summaries, print out appropriate TQ topic summary pages
TQ Thinkwrite persuasive essays
Famous Men workbook

Too much? Just right? I'm not sure if I will follow TQ or HO order, depends on if HO is chronological? This is for 9 and 7th, they can write quickly and well. They just can't go on with "vintage spines", i.e. Coffin, Guerber, and Marshall. Thanks for any help.

#2 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12481 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

There are 3 volumes in the series. If you have Early Modern and Modern coming up, you would need volumes 2 & 3.

#3 Luckymama

Luckymama

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4449 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

We've used/are using all three volumes for three years of World history. The third volume begins with WW1 and continues to the present day (ish),

I bought the teacher and student pages (the softcover books) for the first and second books. We used a few that first year when I wasn't as confident in my abilities. Last year we didn't even touch them. Seriously.

I don't do lesson plans or schedules as such. I look over the next chapter each Friday and decide how I want to split up the reading and what outside resources (documentaries, library nonfiction, online resources) we'll use to complement the book. I do spend a lot of time during the summer hunting down good resources!

Each day dd does the reading or we watch something or explore something online, then we discuss and discuss. Right now she's doing some heavy additional reading on World War II which is causing some distress. We talk a lot of the importance of knowing what happened so that we don't stand by when actions might be repeated.

#4 LNC

LNC

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3411 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

There are 3 volumes in the series. If you have Early Modern and Modern coming up, you would need volumes 2 & 3.

I saw that when googling. I actually ordered all three used for a great price. I can just let HO be their primary spine, and drive the schedule, and add in Truthquest commentary. We love Truthquest, but my children are longing for a colorful spine with maps and pictures, after two years of Mills, Guerber, Coffin etc. :) They miss the picture books from TQ AHfYS.

We will use the WTM early modern and modern year divisions, so I will have to plan that.

I still like the Biblioplan sample, but I want something that is ready to go for next year in case the year 3 update is delayed.

I think we will keep it simple instead of ordering student and teacher pages. They will outline chapters, biographical and topic summaries, and TQ Thinkwrite essays, same as this year.

I don't want to add too many spines, but will probably have them read History of the US, by Joy Hakim. I would love a schedule of that!

#5 LNC

LNC

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3411 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

We've used/are using all three volumes for three years of World history. The third volume begins with WW1 and continues to the present day (ish),

I bought the teacher and student pages (the softcover books) for the first and second books. We used a few that first year when I wasn't as confident in my abilities. Last year we didn't even touch them. Seriously.

I don't do lesson plans or schedules as such. I look over the next chapter each Friday and decide how I want to split up the reading and what outside resources (documentaries, library nonfiction, online resources) we'll use to complement the book. I do spend a lot of time during the summer hunting down good resources!

Each day dd does the reading or we watch something or explore something online, then we discuss and discuss. Right now she's doing some heavy additional reading on World War II which is causing some distress. We talk a lot of the importance of knowing what happened so that we don't stand by when actions might be repeated.

Thank you, this is helpful. I think discussion is key to retention. I'm hoping that it will be easier when I simplify the number of spines I require.

#6 LNC

LNC

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3411 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I edited my original post with my "gameplan" to schedule next year. I would appreciate any thoughts you have about my plan. Thanks!

#7 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12481 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

HO and SOTW and Hakim and Famous Men seems like an awful lot to me. I would definitely drop SOTW if you're going with HO since they cover the same material, and HO is "meatier". With the Hakim and Famous Men books, you might want to just assigned selections to flesh out HO.

Here's what I'm planning for my 6th grader next year:

Human Odyssey Vol. 1 with student pages and also as a source for working on WWS skills
Selections from the MP Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome study guides (the other FM stories will be free reading)
MP The Trojan War lit study
IEW Ancient-History Based Writing Lessons
Critical Thinking Press World History Detective Book 1

TruthQuest would presumably be similar to the HO student pages and the IEW writing.

#8 LNC

LNC

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3411 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

HO and SOTW and Hakim and Famous Men seems like an awful lot to me. I would definitely drop SOTW if you're going with HO since they cover the same material, and HO is "meatier". With the Hakim and Famous Men books, you might want to just assigned selections to flesh out HO.

Here's what I'm planning for my 6th grader next year:

Human Odyssey Vol. 1 with student pages and also as a source for working on WWS skills
Selections from the MP Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome study guides (the other FM stories will be free reading)
MP The Trojan War lit study
IEW Ancient-History Based Writing Lessons
Critical Thinking Press World History Detective Book 1

TruthQuest would presumably be similar to the HO student pages and the IEW writing.

Ok we can drop Sotw. Tq pages are just topic pages to write a summary. I.e War of the Roses with clip art and title. Thinkwrites questions can turn to persuasive essays, as in WTM. There are only 13, so I'll come up with more.

I'm not going to get HO student or teacher pages since they aren't available for book 3. Thanks for the input...

What's with the ads?