Menu

Best state to live in

SquirrellyMama

We have low cost of living here in Middle TN.... BUT I hate the winds and tornadoes. So scary. I really hope when we leave here, we can live somewhere where the weather doesn't make me abnormally anxious. Georgia had tornadoes but nothing like the crazy straight winds here! Summers aren't too bad, and not much snow either though.

We have low cost of living here in Middle TN.... BUT I hate the winds and tornadoes. So scary. I really hope when we leave here, we can live somewhere where the weather doesn't make me abnormally anxious. Georgia had tornadoes but nothing like the crazy straight winds here! Summers aren't too bad, and not much snow either though.

I love TN and keep telling my dh that we need to move there. We have wind and tornadoes also so I can probably handle that part.

Kelly

I love TN and keep telling my dh that we need to move there. We have wind and tornadoes also so I can probably handle that part.

Kelly

They make me crazy.... I wish I'd known I needed a basement when we moved here but few houses have them, so if I wanted one, I probably wouldn't have found one.

CA has all, EXCEPT the low cost of living. Groceries here are cheaper, but houses are expensive (rent or buy). Salary is about the same as other states for similar jobs I think. Taxes are low (compared to NJ, but depends on your county really). We do have senior areas, with controlled rents etc.

Oh, and possible earthquakes.

I live in Northern AL. WInter is very pleasant here, average high in January is 51 then 52. Spring and Fall are very long seasons here and very nice. Too hot weather is for a few weeks in the summer. It is very rare for it to go above 100 or even reach 100. Now how bad the wind is depends on where you live. I live on the eastern side of a mountain and have no problems with winds at all. My house does have a basement, including a large room with no windows that can be used as a storm shelter, though most times we use it as a bath area/exercise area.

In terms of disasters, about ten years ago I read which part of the US was least prone to a disaster. It happened to be in an area of Texas that I had really liked and I had considered moving there sometime. I think a few months before we moved here, it was struck by disaster. Oh and the giant disaster of April 27, 2011, it didn't destroy anything over here, though this area was without power for a week. We bought our house that Memorial Day Weekend and have lived here since late July, 2011.

I just want to say NOT Ohio.

My cousin moved to Hilton Head area last year and the weather is really wonderful all year round. As for cost of living, its decent further inland.

I myself am holding on the my life long dream that one day I will get to live in my southern Florida paradise :( And like I said, NOT OHIO. :(

Well, we love living in Colorado but I don't think it's quite what you're looking for.

Winter temps can get down to below zero (although it usually warms up during the day - we've had several days in the 50's this month), summer temps are generally in the '80's-'90's (rarely over 100, except in the southern corner of the state), and cost of living is average. But we moved here from Portland, OR so that's my reference point for cost of living. ;)

In terms of natural disasters, we have snowstorms/blizzards, wildfires, and the occasional tornado. But we have 330 days of sunshine per year, gorgeous surroundings, and lots of options for outdoorsy activities if that's your thing.

Anywhere on the coast of Florida (I live in Tampa), it's about 90 degrees from May through November. Yes, it's hot, but there's a seabreeze every day and unlike places further inland, we don't get temps over 100 ever. If you can adjust to the humidity, it's not that bad.

And our wintertime temps are amazing. My kids have been in the pool several times this month, in January, when it's been above 80. We can wear shorts & t-shirts about 11 months out of the year. No shoveling snow, no driving in sleet, no winter wardrobe to buy. I love it.