Menu

question for EMTs

Miss Mousie

Last night I was driving behind an ambulance that had its lights flashing. For some reason it reminded me of a long-ago boyfriend, who turned out to be a liar. He told me had been an EMT, and told me that ambulance lights flashed in different patterns for different situations - e.g., if the patient was already deceased, the pattern would be different than it would with a living patient.

I assume he was lying about that, too, but thought I'd ask you far-more-trustworthy invisible people inside my computer. ;) Are there different patterns, and if so, do they indicate anything in particular?

Um, no. Different ambulances may have different strobe patterns due to the way they are manufactured, but there is no significance to it. In any ambulance I have ever worked in there was no way to change the light pattern either.

If a patient is pronounced dead at the scene it is not an emergency call. If we are working a cardiac arrest on the way to the hospital it is an emergency and we run lights and sirens.

Your boyfriend was a liar with a large imagination.