Menu

Forum Game--who wants to play yet again?

Chelle in MO

What other music choices besides Pandora?

When I was a kid I played the violin (and when I did a year of high school in Thailand, the kaen*, and I now have a keyboard). My oldest son wants to play the trumpet (we'll probably give him lessons for his birthday) and his little brother has some bongos. My friend's kids all play the recorder. My dad plays the accordion and my mom harmonium**. She also sings in a choir. My aunt is a (professional) conductor in an orchestra, so she just makes other people make music. I could keep going, but I think the Google could probably give you more ideas if you Google "musical instruments".

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khene

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_organ

• Like 2

This is rude, right?

Well, it's just a question. You didn't use any swear words (as far as I can tell - seems some people are really picky). If you're concerned, maybe try "Could you please tell me if this is rude?" next time? People like words like "please" and "thank you".

• Like 4

Talk to me about asthma

I would, but I have to find my inhaler first. <wheezing too much to answer anything>

FTR, I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis as a kid, then as an adult had a few doctors tell me kids don't get that, and say I probably had/have asthma, and then finally had a full pulmonary function test, and I don't have any lung problems?? I do appreciate my albuterol inhaler when I need it.

• Like 1

Some might argue that there are three: the first, second and third editions!

(Does that make three commandments?)

Regards,

Kareni

No. That makes TWTM a Trinitarian Text.  A Triumvirate. A Trivium.  A Trilogy.

Something along those lines...

I guess we should now divide ourselves according to which edition is on our shelves.  I'm a First Edition Homeschooler.  What's your denomination?

• Like 3

No. That makes TWTM a Trinitarian Text.  A Triumvirate. A Trivium.  A Trilogy.

Something along those lines...

I guess we should now divide ourselves according to which edition is on our shelves.  I'm a First Edition Homeschooler.  What's your denomination?

Cute!

I read the first and the second editions courtesy of the library but own the third edition.  Does that mean I'm Reformed?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Help me choose our next drama thing

Oh, I usually don't have to plan these things - they usually bubble up naturally.  But a few good prompts include asking a kid to wash their feet before bed, or asking a child engrossed in reading a book to come set the table, or telling the 8 year old it's time to do math.  Works like a charm.

• Like 8

Have to share my Doctor Who inspired gift for my son

ok - have to say, I first read this as  'have to share my doctor, who inspired gift for my son'.   I was expecting to hear about buying a model skeleton, or a stethescope, or something like that.

Then (before I clicked....)  I realized it was 'Doctor Who', not 'Doctor, who'.....

• Like 4

Have to share my Doctor Who inspired gift for my son

ok - have to say, I first read this as  'have to share my doctor, who inspired gift for my son'.   I was expecting to hear about buying a model skeleton, or a stethescope, or something like that.

Then (before I clicked....)  I realized it was 'Doctor Who', not 'Doctor, who'.....

See, and here I was thinking that I already share my doctor with a bunch of other people. It's not like I can afford to have a physician on my staff just for me.

• Like 4

best python intro reading aloud strategies

I try to avoid reading programming languages* aloud. But if anyone has any good strategies to share, they may come in handy at some point.

(this is a spam thread, btw)

*Python is a programming language.

• Like 2

Has anyone used these 5th grade Science books? (also 6th)

I dunno. Are they new or used? Do they *look* used? If you bought them used and they look used, they probably were used, especially if they have lots of notes and answers scribbled in them. Same if they're new (but look used), in which case I'd probably complain?

• Like 3

Best paper cutter?

Usually small children.  They do it best when your attention has been diverted and you highly value the papers being cut.

Regards,

Kareni

Wait... they cut *paper* when you're not paying attention? I thought they cut all sorts of things. Pants accidentally while trying to cut paper. But I also can clearly see what happened when they took the breadknife to the TV stand.

• Like 1

Another diabetes question: Has anyone tried cinnamon?

I have. It's common in so many things, cinnamon buns, cinnamon bread, ... I've even had cinnamon in a lentil stew. Has anyone NOT tried cinnamon?

Not sure what that's got to do with diabetes though.

• Like 3

Which language to start with and when?

English, or whatever the primary language spoken in your home is, and from birth.

I think I figured out a use for the chaotic public school history text I bought...

A doorstop??

Disappearing Spoon alternatives?

Disappearing fork? Knife? Napkin? A water glass might be tricky if there is water in it.

• Like 5

Need help from knowledgeable computer people

------------------------------------

You might need to have them sent over from Japan, as they have them readily avaliable there. They are commonly know as robots though.

Well, wait.... maybe that isn't politically correct to call them robots anymore.... it is so hard to keep up with it.  

• Like 3

Lets talk pools

Well, there are those bodies of water that you could swim in for example, or there are things like gene pools, or pools where you and a bunch of coworkers buy lottery tickets together and share the money you win (which is usually nothing), etc. Interestingly, the etymology of the bodies of water kinds of pools (basically, from the word pool in other languages) is different from the etymology of the other kinds of pools (from the French word for hen - poule). This surprises me, because they're both basically aggregates of things - water in the first case, other things in the other case.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pool

ETA: apparently, 'poule', while literally meaning 'hen', can also mean 'stakes, booty, plunder', which explains somewhat the other etymology of pools.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=pool

• Like 3