Menu

Opinions needed--Modest enough?

Chris in VA

I need some clothes for our trip to holy sites in Jerusalem and to some other places.

I'm feeling paralyzed by all the choices.

There are places that require women to cover up most everything so I'm looking at long skirts and dresses. Many women carry a wrap of some sort so they can wear shorter sleeves and toss on the wrap upon entering the place that requires more modest dress. .

Do you think this wrap is ok? Is it ok to leave it open? I have a bad memory of being told a long-sleeved shirt open to reveal a sleeveless top under it was not modest (this was here in the states). I don't know a wrap or "big shirt" opened to a short sleeved (not sleeveless or tank type) top is ok. If it needs to be buttoned all the way I'll just go with a long sleeved shirt, but it's going to be so hot.

I'm getting anxious about the whole trip, and this little bit is throwing me today.

Chris, I'd wear that to an Orthodox monastery, where all the rules you're talking about apply, and feel very comfortable and obedient. ;) That seems like a lovely option to me. Enjoy your trip!

I have no experience or knowledge about this sort of thing....but it is very nice wrap and I hope you can relax and enjoy your trip.

That's a pretty wrap! (also expensive. If you don't object to Target, I have seen essentially the same thing for much less.) I'm Orthodox, and agree that wearing that over a shirt with a neckline sufficiently higher than cleavage is appropriate. (A sleeveless t-shirt worn underneath is fine. Orthodox churches in general -- and monasteries for always -- require long sleeves for both men and women.)

Have a safe and happy trip!

I'm afraid I don't have any btdt wisdom to share in terms of whether it will be considered modest on your trip. From the pics, it looks to be a little sheer--you can clearly see the shirt underneath and a hint of the women's skin--which I don't find immodest personally, but I don't know what the standards are for the sites that require women to be covered up.

Depending on where you are going you may be expected to cover

your collarbone.

In which case the lovely wrap on your link wouldn't work, unless the shirt you

were wearing underneath covered your collarbone.

In some places your elbows have to be covered. And knees as well.

(but you probably already know that.)

I love, love, love my Macabi skirt for travel. The pockets are *amazing*, and the fabric is perfect for the heat. (I don't do the "make it into shorts" thing.)

I'm also a huge fan of the Travelsmith Indespensible Dress, though the length has varied over the years. You can dress it up or down as needed, it never needs ironing, dries quickly, and the modern version is a nice quality lightweight fabric. The downside is there are no pockets.

How about a men's dress shirt style blouse (or an actual men's shirt, if you prefer)? You'll be able to button up if you have to, or leave it open if that's good enough. Dh buys wrinkle free ones from Jos. Banks that do.not.wrinkle. even in a carry-on sized bag. You might even be able to scavenge one from your dh's closet.

I'd go with something cotton if the weather is going to be warm - I find synthetics very uncomfortable in the heat.

FWIW, when travelling around Europe and going into churches (I haven't been to Jerusalem) I used to carry two sarongs: one to tie round my waist to cover shorts; the other to put round my shoulders/arms/head. The first was made into a tube that I stepped into and then tied tight: there was no possibility of showing more than I wished. The second was just a rectangle of cloth.

Laura

I love, love, love my Macabi skirt for travel. The pockets are *amazing*, and the fabric is perfect for the heat. (I don't do the "make it into shorts" thing.)

Since you brought this up, is there anything actually between your thighs? Like would you chafe? That's my big question with this skirt. I've seen it on-line before and always wondered.