Menu

My son talks to himself

momofkhm

Which I don't mind. I do it too. The problem comes when he talks to himself out loud. I call up to him when in his room and ask who he's talking to. He answers himself and it's no biggie.

Now, when he is in the garage on the treadmill, talking to himself out loud, in 2 different voices AND there is a service person here, that is freaky. I know he's talking to himself because I just went out to see and the garage door is closed and he had no idea I was out there looking at him.

Freaky I tell you.

:lol:

Does he laugh? My son does!

LOL! My son repeats what he says to others, to himself, but its loud enough that most of the time you can hear it, lol

Yep. We're all used to it, so I don't think much about it, until I hear him talking to someone else :)

I have one too. He used to repeat the last few words of what he just said....the repeated phrase would be in a whisper...used to FREAK me out, but not anymore. I realize it is just how he is.

He also had an imaginary sister. She hung around for about 2 years at least. Makes me sad when they leave....I think I will go rent Drop Dead Fred. ;)

My oldest daughter did the repeat the last part of the sentence in a whisper thing for about a year. She has since outgrown it.

She did not even realize that she was doing it and would vehemently deny it until the other kids at school started making fun of her for it. :(

One of the many reasons we brought her home.

Jenn

I have one too. He used to repeat the last few words of what he just said....the repeated phrase would be in a whisper...used to FREAK me out, but not anymore. I realize it is just how he is.

He also had an imaginary sister. She hung around for about 2 years at least. Makes me sad when they leave....I think I will go rent Drop Dead Fred. ;)

Scarlett, this is called "palilalia". I have it (all my life), and slip into this more frequently when under stress. I always wondered about it, and finally asked our sons' p-doc -- never thinking that there would be an answer! Asperger's people often have palilalia, which explains me.

Momofkhm, how old is your son? If younger, probably nothing to worry about.

Scarlett, this is called "palilalia". I have it (all my life), and slip into this more frequently when under stress. I always wondered about it, and finally asked our sons' p-doc -- never thinking that there would be an answer! Asperger's people often have palilalia, which explains me.

Momofkhm, how old is your son? If younger, probably nothing to worry about.

Ds did it from about ages 6-8 I think. I was terrified it meant something terrible....but he was able to explain to me (once he was made aware that he was doing it) that he did it to confirm the words....sort of a double check.

I do not think he is on the spectrum but he is quite quirky. He is very outgoing and social and can talk to anyone...but leans toward high strung, anxiety filled... I can't even imagine what his life would have been like as a public school student.

My DD14 does this out on the trampoline. She goes out there and has big ol' conversations between many of her "characters," as she calls them. She doesn't want anybody else around when she does it, and she goes crazy if she can't go out there for more than a few days due to weather. She is perfectly "normal" otherwise. Whatever that means. :)

My DD14 does this out on the trampoline. She goes out there and has big ol' conversations between many of her "characters," as she calls them. She doesn't want anybody else around when she does it, and she goes crazy if she can't go out there for more than a few days due to weather. She is perfectly "normal" otherwise. Whatever that means. :)

Huh! Ds (almost 13) does this too. Imaginary games...he also does not want anyone listening to him.

My XH is so disturbed by it...he thinks it is a sign of a lonely boy with no friends. Uh, no weirdo XH it is a sign of a happy boy with a big imagination.

I really would not worry about it! I was not even diagnosed with any of my several conditions until fifteen years ago (I'm nearly 58 now), so clearly I got through just fine. I went through all public schools.

Ds did it from about ages 6-8 I think. I was terrified it meant something terrible....but he was able to explain to me (once he was made aware that he was doing it) that he did it to confirm the words....sort of a double check.

I do not think he is on the spectrum but he is quite quirky. He is very outgoing and social and can talk to anyone...but leans toward high strung, anxiety filled... I can't even imagine what his life would have been like as a public school student.

My daughter used to argue with herself when she was 3. Now she talks to other people who aren't even in the room. She is 24. She has always been quirky though so it doesn't really surprise me. At least she stopped having saber fights with herself in the yard when she was about 14.

I have one too. He used to repeat the last few words of what he just said....the repeated phrase would be in a whisper...used to FREAK me out, but not anymore. I realize it is just how he is. He also had an imaginary sister. She hung around for about 2 years at least. Makes me sad when they leave....I think I will go rent Drop Dead Fred. ;)

My oldest daughter did the repeat the last part of the sentence in a whisper thing for about a year. She has since outgrown it. She did not even realize that she was doing it and would vehemently deny it until the other kids at school started making fun of her for it. :( One of the many reasons we brought her home. Jenn

Scarlett, this is called "palilalia". I have it (all my life), and slip into this more frequently when under stress. I always wondered about it, and finally asked our sons' p-doc -- never thinking that there would be an answer! Asperger's people often have palilalia, which explains me. Momofkhm, how old is your son? If younger, probably nothing to worry about.

Oh how fascinating. My oldest recently started echoing the last syllable in a lot of her sentences. I see the term logoclonia, but I'm not sure if that is at the end of every word or if the way she uses it at the end of her sentences also applies.

Ds talks to himself in the bathroom. It's pretty funny.

Mine does too! So funny! He'll be in there talking away, or singing. He's my guy who does not like to be alone, even in the bathroom. He says "I'm keeping myself company." Sometimes he takes the dog in with him and talks to the dog instead.

Cat