Menu

Calling all Barton users: is the grammar complete enough to sell my MCT Island set?

Hi, ladies,

I am new to this board, having just put the pieces together this week that my ds (almost 9) is dyslexic. Not officially diagnosed b/c we are hoping to be moving soon, but he ticks all of the boxes.

So here is my question for the experts: is Barton's grammar complete enough that I can raise money to buy it by selling back my set of MCT Island level grammar books?

My son is halfway through 3rd grade, if that helps.

Thanks for any advice you've got!

Christina

Hello and welcome.

I'm a curriculum hoarder, so I wouldn't. I never sell anything! lol

I'm only up to level seven of Barton, so I haven't yet seen what Barton's grammar is like by level 10. I have seen the grammar increase over the level, but at level 7 it's still pretty basic. Barton helps my ds understand the basics about sentences--and many dyslexics really need to grasp the basics of grammar. Yet I want him to know more than just the basics, so we do another grammar program in addition to Barton.

Now you got me thinking that we'd probably get through Barton faster if we didn't take time and energy to teach a separate grammar program. Then I could add more grammar once we complete Barton if I think he needs more. (Oh well, we're almost through with our grammar books for this school year--I'll think about that idea for next year.)

FYI, level 1 covers the skill of phonemic awareness, which many dyslexics lack. If you started Barton and stopped there, you probably wouldn't be happy for having sold your grammar program as it really doesn't cover grammar or even "reading" in the traditional sense at that point. In level 2, it starts with covering with the very basics of what sentences need. It continues to increase from there, with slight changes on how grammar is covered about every level. That's why I wrote I don't know how it will by by level 10. The sequence and ways of identifying parts of speech is not how one would find grammar covered in traditional classrooms.

I don't know all the details of your personal philosopy and finances or your son's level of dyslexia and need for a program Barton. If he needs a program like Barton and selling old curriculum is what you need to do in order to pay for it, then sell your old grammar program. Barton has made a huge difference for my son, so if they only way I could afford it was by selling materials we aren't using, then then I'd do it.

Thanks, ladies for your replies! I am really glad I asked about this before listing my grammar set!!

I expected everyone to say Barton is complete enough, but as a grammar nut (it is my job, after all), I will likely feel the need to supplement, too.

So we will really be stretched to cover the Barton now, but Mr. Visa is always there to help...

Christina

Well, I'm a Barton user who has also used MCT Grammar and I would say sell it. I think to begin with Barton is all they need, but I don't feel like it's complete enough as they get older. I've added in IEW for composition and used Winston Grammar Basic and Advanced with my dyslexic dd with good results. I think we added these in after Level 4, and we did them while also working through Barton. Keep in mind though that my daughter was an older student when we began Barton. MCT didn't really do it for us, but many people love it.