Menu

Which spelling program should I choose?

shinyhappypeople

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spelling Program Should I Choose?

• Spell to Write and Read (or other Spalding-inspired program)
    • Logic of English
    • All About Spelling
    • Other (but please elaborate!!)

This is for 9 yo DD. She seems to like to apply the few spelling rules and patterns she knows. She benefits from explicit, gentle instruction. She hates to write, but her handwriting (printing) is lovely. She'd like to learn cursive. She reads at 2nd/early-3rd grade level, and has definite gaps in her knowledge of phonics.

As for me, I'm drawn to SWR for inexplicable reasons, but I'm not sure I have the time or patience to learn the system (or maybe I do...) I really do need something open and go. Is it open and go once you learn the system? It would also be easy to integrate cursive instruction as I teach the phonograms. The price is definitely right.

Logic of English is pretty and new and you can buy the first 10 lessons to test drive it. But, I already have something for grammar and it seems kind of workbooky.

All About Spelling... it's expensive, and I can't tell how much writing is involved.

Please help. This is giving me a headache. My husbands advice is to just pick something - anything! - and proceed. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to get done.

I, of course, would recommend Spalding. Why do the spin-offs when you can do the method that is the basis for the others? :-)

Once you finish your own training in teaching Spalding, you just do it daily it. I can't imagine anything more "open-and-go."

I, of course, would recommend Spalding. Why do the spin-offs when you can do the method that is the basis for the others? :-)

Once you finish your own training in teaching Spalding, you just do it daily it. I can't imagine anything more "open-and-go."

But how much training is there? That's what scares me. I've heard that's there's a HUGE learning curve and WRTR is the most difficult to understand. Having said that, I requested the book (4th edition!) from the library, so maybe it won't be as scary as the rumors suggest.

It sounds like you are sold on Spalding but worried about the work.

I agree with Ellie--why bother with a spin-off? They all have some shortcomings. Here is what I needed to do to learn Splading:

1. Read the 4th edition.

2. Read it again, taking notes about the order of instruction, how to dictate a word, whatever details you think you'll need.

(Really, read every single page. Including the Extended Ayres List!. It's not that long of a book).

3. Get a spelling notebook and open to the first page of the Extended Ayres List. Start writing. It tells you right within the list of the 4th edition that you teach page 1 of the spelling notebook first. So you make that page. Then you write columns of words until you hit the point where it says to each the five kinds of Silent E. Then you make that part of the page. Then go back to your words.

Then you just rinse and repeat on your kid! Actually, you can probalby start teaching phonograms before you've made your own spelling notebook because it will take a bit of time to get those down.

If you run into trouble, Ellie appears to be the most patient woman alive because she answers questions for all of us all the time.

Spalding is effective, simple, and cheap. It looks tricky because it's not the way most of us were taught and it doesn't have a lesson plan calendar. But once you've got it, you just flip open to where you are in the list and keep going.

AAS is very open and go. Easy to use, and I think appropriate in the writing expectations. You can adjust that as needed. I wouldn't have the time or desire to read and try to understand Spalding/WRTR. Though others love it, so if you are inclined, go for it!

I think logic of English looks great, but it is more than spelling. And it seems a little more complicated than AAS, though it seems to do a good job of remediation phonics.

My vote would be for AAS or LOE. I think they are both great easy to use programs.

But how much training is there? That's what scares me. I've heard that's there's a HUGE learning curve and WRTR is the most difficult to understand. Having said that, I requested the book (4th edition!) from the library, so maybe it won't be as scary as the rumors suggest.

There's a learning curve with *all* of the Spalding spin-offs.

If Spalding were that difficult, there wouldn't be so many of us happily teaching it. :-) The thing is that most of us hsers haven't had any training at all to be teachers, and so we buy the products written for us that tell us when to breathe in and when to breathe out, You'll have to think some to learn the Spalding Method, but honestly, it just isn't that hard.

The thing is that most of us hsers haven't had any training at all to be teachers, and so we buy the products written for us that tell us when to breathe in and when to breathe out, You'll have to think some to learn the Spalding Method, but honestly, it just isn't that hard.

Wow. I find this quite offensive. My training has nothing to do with why I choose open and go programs. And you are making the assumption that those of us who choose open and go programs are not "thinking". Perhaps some are just not drawn to other things? Just because someone does not want to take the time to figure out Spalding, does not mean they need or are choosing to be told to breathe. Other programs are just as good, and not of less worth because they are open and go. . .

Wow. I find this quite offensive. My training has nothing to do with why I choose open and go programs. And you are making the assumption that those of us who choose open and go programs are not "thinking". Perhaps some are just not drawn to other things? Just because someone does not want to take the time to figure out Spalding, does not mean they need or are choosing to be told to breathe. Other programs are just as good, and not of less worth because they are open and go. . .

You're choosing to be offended where no offense was meant or implied.

I was answering the question posed by someone who wonders whether she'll be able to figure out Spalding or not, and suggesting that some might choose something written differently. I was not commenting on the reasons that others might choose methods or products that they can pick up today and begin using tomorrow, or suggesting that those people need to be told when to breathe.

I have often said that millions of children in the world learn to read and spell with methods other than Spalding, and that the best method (for teaching anything) is the one that people are able to stick with. I have never, ever suggested that other products or methods have less worth.

I really am afraid I don't understand why so many people are happy with AAS. We tried it once and I found it convoluted with too many materials and gimmicks all over the place. The only thing I really liked about it was the magnetic spelling tiles, which my dyslexic daughter used for about a year. I will admit I can see how it would be a good program for a students whose spelling and reading abilities are running parallel. We started at level 1 because of my daughter's spelling issues, but we were in the position where she was reading at a 4th grade level and spelling at a K level in grade 2 when we purchased it. I felt like the level 1 program belabored all kinds of details that were unnecessary for a fluent reader.

We started using Phonetic Zoo this year and I can't imaging being happier with a spelling program. It's great. But then, my daughter is definitely an auditory learner so I imagine it's a good match for her. She was a struggling speller BIG TIME (and did I just say 'was'? Yes, yes I did! Hallelujah!) She's dyslexic and I don't credit Phonetic Zoo with all of her improvement this year, but a combination of PZ and the Orton Gillingham tutoring she's been receiving. But PZ is very rule-based as well. Phonetic Zoo is geared to be started around your daughter's age (3rd or 4th grade), and assumes the reading and writing skills one would expect at that age.

We have been through AAS and Phonetic Zoo. I liked AAS, but started it before all the levels were finished and was sort of stuck until others came out. Jump to student #2, I could not imagine doing different levels with students. I wanted something more "independent" for my older so I then tried Phonetic Zoo...never got done. So this year I decided that we needed only 1 program for all the kids. I liked what I saw of LOE when some posted about it, but didn't want to put a bunch of money into another program that I wasn't sure would be a good fit for us. So, I looked at Spalding. I found a book for $2 (5th edition) at half priced books, so I figured I couldn't go wrong for two dollars. I liked what I read in theory, but I was one that just couldn't picture it all together. I am a trained teacher, and it just wasn't coming together for me. I bought the little booklet "starting a spelling journal" and that helped me visualize the process. Also, I don't know if I missed it somewhere or what, but I guess it says to do a sample notebook before you teach it. That has been so helpful for me too. I now know where to go after step one. And, Ellie has been very helpful with answering questions

Since you want open & go, I'd go ahead & buy the minimum you would need to do LOE. (If you don't want to incorporate the grammar, don't. Easy-peasy.) Make sure you watch the videos on the website. You will learn how to do dictation & some of the rules. (I don't particularly like how she's changed some Spalding rules & phonograms, but everyone seems to have a different opinion on those. You might like them.) If nothing else, it will help you understand how to do SWR (my preference) or Spalding.

If you like it, you can keep going! :hurray: Add some of the "nice to haves" to your LOE materials. Be glad spelling is getting done & getting done well.

If you don't, you given yourself a HUGE head start on your learning curve for a Spalding-spin off. One of the SWR analogies is that learning to teach it is like taking off in a jumbojet. The majority of the energy goes into getting off the ground. LOE (and AAS) hold your hand and get you off the ground. You could then pick up a used copy of WRTR & realize how much of it makes *sense* now or pick up the SWR books & a learning log. (You can reuse the LOE phonogram cards & spelling rule cards with only minor adjustments.)

Good luck!

All About Spelling... it's expensive, and I can't tell how much writing is involved.

As for how much writing is involved with AAS, this increases very gradually. (I actually really like how it prepares students for more independent writing as you go through the program). Level 1 starts off with 10 words per step. You build these with the tiles, and then practice them in writing. If that's too much, you can accommodate by only using tiles, or try using some tactile or kinesthetic practice methods to lessen the writing. About halfway through this level, 6 short dictation phrases are added per step. These are usually just two words, and you can do them in one day or split them up over as many days as needed.

In Level 2, they will do 6 phrases and 6 sentences per step. By level 3, they move up to 12 sentences (again, a step can be done over as many days as needed), and then partway through the book, the writing station is added. In the Writing Station, students will make up one or more sentences using 5-6 given spelling words. My kids sometimes liked to try to use all of the words in one sentence, and other times liked to make up a little story or vignette.

So, gradually they are building up more writing. My kids are in Levels 6 and 7 now, and it has really helped them improve. I haven't used LOE or Spalding, but for open and go, explicit, incremental instruction, AAS has been a good fit here. Here is a link to my review on my blog.

I hope this helps as you consider which program will work for you and your family. I know sometimes the choosing process is overwhelming! Something that helps me is to remember--I don't have to choose something that's perfect, or search until I find the one that's "best." Just look for excellent. If it's excellent, I can know my kids will get a good education, and I won't get bogged down by always looking for perfection, which tends to be elusive.

Merry :-)

In part because you're supposed to do SWR along side of your child (if memory serves), I found it to be terribly time intensive. I prefer having something my DS can do on his own while I am within ear shot (should consultation be needed) but free to be working on chores.

With AAS costs, my personal opinion is that after Level 1 you can easily get by with just the teacher's manual if you are willing to make a few flash cards. (We never used the word cards as I found that too cumbersome, and the key cards are easy enough to make.)

As for me, I'm drawn to SWR for inexplicable reasons, but I'm not sure I have the time or patience to learn the system (or maybe I do...) I really do need something open and go. Is it open and go once you learn the system? It would also be easy to integrate cursive instruction as I teach the phonograms. The price is definitely right.

When I was deciding what to use, I was choosing between SWR and AAS. I went with SWR, and I haven't regretted it. Yes, there is a learning curve. For me, it was about 2 months. It has been open-and-go ever since. I have never taken a seminar, but I follow the Yahoo Group closely. The reasons that I went with SWR over AAS were

• price
  • SWR is spiral-based, while AAS is mastery-based
  • I didn't want to mess with different levels of AAS. I liked that SWR had all levels in one.

Now that we are in our third year, I am so glad that I made that choice. Teaching my next dc has become very natural. I also like that it includes a lot of grammar instruction.

LOE came out after I was already using SWR. If I hadn't already started with SWR, I might have gone with LOE, except for the fact that it is not yet complete. It only has 1000 words, and I have already seen posts here asking what others are doing after they finish. It is my understanding that they are working on another level for younger children and another for older children (the current one being for about 8yo, I think). And then, of course, you have the price issue, too.

When I was deciding what to use, I was choosing between SWR and AAS. I went with SWR, and I haven't regretted it. Yes, there is a learning curve. For me, it was about 2 months. It has been open-and-go ever since. I have never taken a seminar, but I follow the Yahoo Group closely. The reasons that I went with SWR over AAS were

• price
  • SWR is spiral-based, while AAS is mastery-based
  • I didn't want to mess with different levels of AAS. I liked that SWR had all levels in one.

Now that we are in our third year, I am so glad that I made that choice. Teaching my next dc has become very natural. I also like that it includes a lot of grammar instruction.

LOE came out after I was already using SWR. If I hadn't already started with SWR, I might have gone with LOE, except for the fact that it is not yet complete. It only has 1000 words, and I have already seen posts here asking what others are doing after they finish. It is my understanding that they are working on another level for younger children and another for older children (the current one being for about 8yo, I think). And then, of course, you have the price issue, too.

I didn't even consider the spiral vs. mastery aspect. DD definitely benefits from (and enjoys) lots of review. I checked WRTR (4th ed) out of the library today. So far it doesn't seem too complicated. I think I'd built it up in my mind to be some nearly incomprehensible program, but so far it makes sense to me.

There's a learning curve with *all* of the Spalding spin-offs.

If Spalding were that difficult, there wouldn't be so many of us happily teaching it. :-) The thing is that most of us hsers haven't had any training at all to be teachers, and so we buy the products written for us that tell us when to breathe in and when to breathe out, You'll have to think some to learn the Spalding Method, but honestly, it just isn't that hard.

I thought and I thought and I thought, but I just didn't get it. ;) (I'm not offended Ellie!) I appreciated a spin-off to teach me (Phonics Road level 1). Now that I know how to do it, it is easy to look back and say, "Spalding is the easiest thing in the world!", but I remember... that BOOK! WRTR was totally confusing for a newbie. I could open it now and use it without any proplem. However, I will be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Trying to make up for years of wasted time sitting in a public school takes a little time. :tongue_smilie:

Spelling Plus is an easy, cheap option that fits your criteria. It has rules and teaches the later lessons in cursive. The companion book Spelling Dictation is useful for students that need to use the words in a sentence, not just a list. Here is her website with samples. You can purchase the book other places as well, I purchased a copy from Rainbow Resource.

http://www.susancanthony.com/Books/sp.html

I just started to use Spelling Power this year and I love it. It does introduce the spelling "rules" which has helped dd a great deal. I also like that you start the child where they are at with spelling. There is a placement test you give them that tells you what level to start with. The way it works is you spend 5 minutes a day doing the spelling list with your child and then they spend 5-10 minutes a day learning the words they got wrong using their 10 step study method. Part of that is also having them write a sentence using the misspelled word. There are also reinforcement activities you can do if you need to. The nice thing is that you can use this program for multiple children and the levels go all the way to high school level so it should be the only program you need. You can also find it used but if you do try to get the new version with the cd, that has the forms on it so you can just print them off yourself instead of buying a answer book each year.

i started with spelling power and quickly got frustrated. it does not teach the rules. It says "the long a sound can be spelled x, y, z, q, r, t, l" but never says why sometimes its one way and sometimes its another way. how is that a rule, or at all helpful? my son got quickly frustrated. I might go back to the SP lists after we finish LOE. but as much as my son hates spelling and writing, he definitely is paying attention and interested in the spelling rules in LOE. i LOVE LOE.

I didn't even consider the spiral vs. mastery aspect. DD definitely benefits from (and enjoys) lots of review. I checked WRTR (4th ed) out of the library today. So far it doesn't seem too complicated. I think I'd built it up in my mind to be some nearly incomprehensible program, but so far it makes sense to me.

Just to clarify, AAS incorporates review all along through the dictations, and through the card system--this way you review the things she needs to review but don't have to spend time reviewing things that are clearly mastered. You'll definitely have as much review as you need with AAS.

Not trying to sway you if WRTR works out for you :-).

i started with spelling power and quickly got frustrated. it does not teach the rules. It says "the long a sound can be spelled x, y, z, q, r, t, l" but never says why sometimes its one way and sometimes its another way. how is that a rule, or at all helpful? my son got quickly frustrated. I might go back to the SP lists after we finish LOE. but as much as my son hates spelling and writing, he definitely is paying attention and interested in the spelling rules in LOE. i LOVE LOE.

It depends on what you consider a rule. My daughter finds your example a rule and extremely helpful. We did Sequential Spelling last year and it was awful for her. She knows there are exceptions to every type of rule but now she is getting structure and is able to make the connections of the "rule" with the words that are given for that group. They have 47 different "rule" groups so not every one is going to be something like "i before e except after c" or some trick to remind you what order things come in. I understand that it did not work with your son, not every curriculum works for every one. I am glad that you found a curriculum that works for your son but just because you did not find a curriculum helpful does not mean it is not helpful for someone else.

Thank you VERY much for this discussion. I've made a decision. Because I need something I can start on Monday, I decided to try Logic of English. It's completely open and go. I was able to purchase pdfs of the first section of the TM and student book for $20, so it wasn't too painful.

If I had more time to study and prepare, I would almost certainly go with WRTR. I think Ms. Spalding was brilliant.

Thank you VERY much for this discussion. I've made a decision. Because I need something I can start on Monday, I decided to try Logic of English. It's completely open and go. I was able to purchase pdfs of the first section of the TM and student book for $20, so it wasn't too painful.

If I had more time to study and prepare, I would almost certainly go with WRTR. I think Ms. Spalding was brilliant.

I hope you enjoy it!!!

AAS!!! We were using another program that had the children memorize lists of words, but that was not training them WHY to spell the word that way. AAS teaches them the rules and why to spell a word a certain way. It also works with my son with ADHD. He has a hard time staying on task, but he is doing well with AAS.

I voted other. I have used and loved SequentialSpelling since my oldest was 1st grade age and it's brilliant and it works (if used correctly). And my ds loves it and thrives with it, retains every word, knows spelling rules as well, and can even take his knowledge from his spelling lessons to figure out how to spell words he hasn't encountered before. It's improved his reading skills, his vocabulary skills, his grammar skills, his research skills, his handwriting skills, and his writing skills.

I don't even consider other spelling programs an option because this is the one for us.

Let us know how it goes. ... And you might find that you swing back around to WRTR after you've used LOE for awhile because you'll understand the method since you've used it with LOE. (And, if you don't end up liking LOE or the method, at least you didn't spend too much.) :coolgleamA:

Making the decision is the best.feeling.ever. :hurray:

I think you're way overestimating the amount of time needed to study and prepare to teach the Spalding Method, but I'm sure your dc will do fine with LOE. :-)

I voted for other. I think my kids would do best with AAS but I can't manage it. They are all very close in age. I am not an organized person. It was too hard to manage all the materials with them so close together within the same program. I think we have a strong program mixing several different curricula together. Please see list in signature. If you have questions about any of the curricula listed below, feel free to ask.

I'm a huge fan of Rod & Staff Spelling. Rules are taught, no teacher training needed, open and go, fairly independent, and it gets done around here.

I agree!! We've used it for three years with great success. It's not teacher intensive at all and not very time consuming, yet it's very effective.