Menu

Letter of intent- Kindergarten?

llm

I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV. :-) I also don't live in OH, so I'm looking at HSLDA's analysis of OH law. I'm sure someone from OH will drop in. :-)

Here's HSLDA's analysis.

Compulsory school age is six. So, the school year that your dc would be six by September 30, that would be the first year that you'll notify the appropriate superintendent of schools. IOW, if your dc will NOT be six by September 30, he is NOT compulsory school age and you do NOT notify anyone. What you teach or don't teach is up to you, and when you file your notification the following year, you would NOT have to submit an assessement of any kind.

The following year when you submit your notification, *that's* when you also include one of the three kinds of assessments: standardized test scores, a portfolio, or "an alternative assessment mutually agreed upon by the parents and the superintendent "

Compulsory school age is six. So, the school year that your dc would be six by September 30, that would be the first year that you'll notify the appropriate superintendent of schools. IOW, if your dc will NOT be six by September 30, he is NOT compulsory school age and you do NOT notify anyone.

I also am not from Ohio, but I wanted to offer a word of caution here. If it is anything like Florida, Kindergarten (school for five year olds) is not compulsory here, however if you do not send in a letter of intent for K, the school board reserves the right to refuse admittance to school the next year for first. I don't know if this has ever happened or if they would exercise this right but I feel it worthy of mentioning it whenever someone talks about compulsory ages. In my mind, I find it best to send in a letter of intent when my child would be entering the educational system, I know others disagree and that is fine, just wanted to offer an IMHO ;)

ETA: we do portfolios the year we send our letter of intent.

I also am not from Ohio, but I wanted to offer a word of caution here. If it is anything like Florida, Kindergarten (school for five year olds) is not compulsory here, however if you do not send in a letter of intent for K, the school board reserves the right to refuse admittance to school the next year for first. I don't know if this has ever happened or if they would exercise this right but I feel it worthy of mentioning it whenever someone talks about compulsory ages. In my mind, I find it best to send in a letter of intent when my child would be entering the educational system, I know others disagree and that is fine, just wanted to offer an IMHO ;)

I have not heard that this is the case in OH. As long as this is NOT true in OH, I would not recommend doing anything not specified by law.