Menu

What to do with art?

bttrflyvld

I think for Kindergarten you need to do something artsy, crafty, or something of the likes. Mayby not formal persay, but something they can create. I was thinking about using Art with Anything: 52 Weeks of Fun Mary Ann Kohl next school year. It seems pretty easy as far as the projects go. I'm looking for something that will use basic items we should already have. Any other books that are open and go and easy you could suggest?

We just started "Fine Arts Fridays" today, because we have been seriously lacking on the creative front. I got the Usborne Art Treasury for Christmas and we are going to work our way through it. It has background on the artist and how to recreate their technique. I also pinned a bunch of stuff on Pinterest on music and art.

We are using this in my 3-5 yo art co-op.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Very-Young-Ages-3-6/dp/1568226683/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359253408&sr=8-7&keywords=preschool+art and this is a schedule I made for it http://poolercoop.weebly.com/uploads/7/7/5/5/7755214/art_prek-k.pdf

Some of the items are not necessarily things at home, but they are not hard to find either. I like that a few of the lessons suggest books found at my library.

Never seen this one before. Looks nice! Thanks for your your schedule.

We are using this in my 3-5 yo art co-op.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Very-Young-Ages-3-6/dp/1568226683/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359253408&sr=8-7&keywords=preschool+art and this is a schedule I made for it http://poolercoop.weebly.com/uploads/7/7/5/5/7755214/art_prek-k.pdf

Some of the items are not necessarily things at home, but they are not hard to find either. I like that a few of the lessons suggest books found at my library.

at our house, we do some organized crafts, but my kids like it best when I just open the cupboard and let them go crazy with the art supplies. It's easy for me and fun for them....but you have to be laid back about it. If I'm tired or grumpy, the cupboard stays shut!

My kinder loves Artistic Pursuits book 1. I bought all supplies necessary for the book. They also have a pre K book but I haven't used it.

We also have "365 things to make and do" which she loves to look through- however I have to have the items ready and available which I don't have all the time.

There is a Usborne finger painting book that my dd likes copying.

I just keep a draw full of odds and ends and all sorts of things. I have plenty of glue, markers, crayons, etc. Paper, construction paper. Just a bunch of supplies. And I let the girls (especially at this age) just create.

Recently my big girl made a puppy out of an egg carton, fabric and some other things she found in the craft drawer. That's all we do for art right now. Just let them create stuff. I do have projects that I plan here and there too. Usually holiday related.

I just discovered & bought a set of books by Irene Luxbacher called 1-2-3 I Can Draw! (Starting Art). It can be purchased rather cheaply (used) and other titles include Sculpt, Paint, Collage, Print, Architecture.

But they are wonderful! Step-by-step pictures, elements of art/technique simply discussed, and the projected are super-cute and DO-able. We've been looking through the print one and there are different types of print demonstrated and a cute project to practice.

I also have How To Teach Art to Children, but it's too much for my 4.5 yr. old (as well as my 6.5 yr. old)... but it's also very nicely done. We'll use it in a year or 2.

I also like Art Treasury, which shows a work of art and then teaches a technique to be modeled from it.