Menu

Light to the Nations (Catholic Textbook Project)

AimeeM

Another option could be Oak Meadow history. I reviewed their Grade 5 history, and I thought it was interesting. It was a much easier read than CTP's From Sea to Shining Sea, and they had useful projects and activities. Oak Meadow was rather middle-of-the-line and didn't seem to favor or negate any particular religion.

We just started using Oak Meadow's Science 5, and I like it much better than CHC's Behold and See.

I know some Catholics have trouble with the whole Oak Meadow thing, but I haven't seen anything that troubles me yet.

Another option could be Oak Meadow history. I reviewed their Grade 5 history, and I thought it was interesting. It was a much easier read than CTP's From Sea to Shining Sea, and they had useful projects and activities. Oak Meadow was rather middle-of-the-line and didn't seem to favor or negate any particular religion.

We just started using Oak Meadow's Science 5, and I like it much better than CHC's Behold and See.

I know some Catholics have trouble with the whole Oak Meadow thing, but I haven't seen anything that troubles me yet.

I don't know anything about Oak Meadow, so I can't say anything about the Catholic thing, but I saw this quote on their website that I liked a lot and is really one of my sayings. I'm adding it to my siggy!!

Learning is a part of life...I am both a teacher and a learner.

I've used OM before. We tried their (first half) of world history (their grade 6 text). It was pretty... condensed. I do appreciate the secular tone of and, you are very right, they go out of their way to be "fair" about it. I'm looking for straight text though and OM, to get the *goodness* out of it, requires that you do their crafts, draw their maps, read the literature assigned with the history, etc. The book alone is pretty incomplete, imo.

I have OM too and I would agree. Especially below high school, OM is not intended to be just a textbook get 'er done program.

I think we're going to try LTTN. Even if I have to read it aloud to her, because she can't read it herself, it seems to be the most enjoyable program - and is Catholic friendly.

I also think I'm going to skip ahead a bit in the STTS book this year. I noticed that if I skip the first several chapters, it gets more interesting and less about the explorers (which I think is what is boring her to tears - she was in brick and mortar school for several years and ALL they did is american history).

Another aside: My family who are not particularly religious, call my husband and I Zealots. We are a Catholic family who lives our faith 24/7. They don't get that about us. So, some of the Catholic overload that bugs other people isn't an issue in the least with us.

My family ("progressive"/"cafeteria" Catholic dad and Episcopalian mom) considers me off-the-deep-end Catholic as well. I do believe in the Fullness of the Truth and that's not at all the reason I find Seton's materials a bit heavy-handed. No, it's the fact that Seton has to cram Catholicism into every. single. solitary. little. thing. It strikes me as contrived and something that could easily turn kids off our wonderful faith.

My family ("progressive"/"cafeteria" Catholic dad and Episcopalian mom) considers me off-the-deep-end Catholic as well. I do believe in the Fullness of the Truth and that's not at all the reason I find Seton's materials a bit heavy-handed. No, it's the fact that Seton has to cram Catholicism into every. single. solitary. little. thing. It strikes me as contrived and something that could easily turn kids off our wonderful faith.

So far, we're good on this. She loves looking at the pictures in the Math book and doing the art projects. I guess it's "your mileage may vary". LOL I pick and choose what parts I do. Many times we do a different art project and I don't talk about the pictures in the Math book or all the things where they say "Look at the cover...blah blah blah".

• 1 month later...

What is on the CDs? I couldn't find a sample anywhere.

Has anyone put together a schedule for Light to the Nations 1 using it as a spine, but weaving in other literature?

Am I right to think that CTP takes two volumes (L2tN1 & L2tN2) to go from Christ to Modern vs. SOTW's three volumes?

Light to the Nations 1 is on my short list for oldest dd's history next year (or History Odyssey's Level 2 Medieval), but I'm just not familiar with CTP stuff to know what I'm getting. (We are using HO this year & I like it.)

I have a schedule for LttN with other stuff mixed in. PM me if you want it.