Menu

Light to the Nations (Catholic Textbook Project)

AimeeM

Here is descriptions of the Light to Nations 1 and 2, which are absolutely world history texts.

http://www.catholictextbookproject.com/project/project-volumes.html

And looky there, they have a 5th out! Woot! Off to add that to my list of to buy materials this year.

ETA: oops. My excitement is premature. It's not available just yet.

Thanks Martha! The reason I ask is because we're using STSS right now (from CTP) and dd is less than impressed - she was looking forward to learning about things like the witch trials and we've yet to come across anything in the book that she considers "interesting" (and I've grazed the book and can't find some of the more interesting, albeit slightly morbid, parts of american history that would grab her attention).

I felt that From Sea to Shining Sea downplayed the English colonies while it went on and on about the Spanish and French colonies. I guess that makes sense from a religious POV but from the perspective of teaching American history, I didn't like it. The later part of the book was better IMHO.

I was just reading through the 2nd volume of the K12 Human Odyssey text (covering the Reformation & Renaissance era) yesterday and I'm definitely going to need to get Light to the Nations as a substitute "spine" for certain chapters. HO has a broader scope so I do want to use it, but it shows a definite anti-Catholic bias in its treatment of the turbulent period in European history.

Otoh, I get frustrated by the nearly complete ignoring of the French and Spanish in most other texts. Usually just a blurb that amounts to, "and oh yeah, there were some other colonies too.."

I also find that most texts don't get into the very morbid stuff before 7th grade ish. Idk why because most literature programs sure don't shy from the subjects way earlier than that.

And as Crimson noted, the exception seems to catholic bashing, yet there is almost no discussion of the religious intolerance of most of the protestant colonies.

If it matters, I custom make my kid's book list for each grade to incorporate history readings related to what the text covers or areas I think they would be especially interested in. Have you considered doing that?

Otoh, I get frustrated by the nearly complete ignoring of the French and Spanish in most other texts. Usually just a blurb that amounts to, "and oh yeah, there were some other colonies too.."

I also find that most texts don't get into the very morbid stuff before 7th grade ish. Idk why because most literature programs sure don't shy from the subjects way earlier than that.

And as Crimson noted, the exception seems to catholic bashing, yet there is almost no discussion of the religious intolerance of most of the protestant colonies.

If it matters, I custom make my kid's book list for each grade to incorporate history readings related to what the text covers or areas I think they would be especially interested in. Have you considered doing that?

We don't really add in much historical reading for her history - she hates reading and history (she's my math and science gal - dyslexic).

... and I didn't even take into account the bias that might exist in HO volume 2. That is what I was leaning towards. Yikes. How bad is it Crimson?

Martha - would you say the reading level for LTTN is accurate (middle school)? A review on Amazon (there were only two reviews) stated that they considered the reading level high school (that would be a definite problem for us).

I did look at the samples provided and the book looks interesting - I'm just wondering if it's an accurate portrayal of the rest of the text.

... and I didn't even take into account the bias that might exist in HO volume 2. That is what I was leaning towards. Yikes. How bad is it Crimson?

I personally found it one-sided and failed to adequately distinguish between the problematic actions of certain clergymembers and the Catholic faith as a whole. It also has a misrepresentation of the Catholic doctrine regarding Purgatory.

It's hard to have a balanced treatment of the Reformation and the resulting turmoil. But I can't in good conscience use those chapters in HO without first presenting a Catholic perspective. I don't want to "whitewash" Church history but I can't let the anti-Catholic bias stand unchallenged.

We loved LTN. But the reading level is high. I think some kids would do better delaying these until early high school even. These books cover a lot, in detail and in depth. The TM provides structure and essay questions. They really are exceptional textbooks.

We loved LTN. But the reading level is high. I think some kids would do better delaying these until early high school even. These books cover a lot, in detail and in depth. The TM provides structure and essay questions. They really are exceptional textbooks.

I am very hesitant with the reading level. She is only barely reading at grade level (grade 6 right now) and reading is always (and may always be) a struggle for her (and she hates reading, so that doesn't help).

I'm a little lost now. I don't want to use Human Odyssey volume 2 (which is what we would be using) if it's THAT biased, but there really isn't much else that will keep dd's interest. I'm hoping the study guide for Dorothy Mills' Middle Ages will be available by then (supposed to be done by spring), but then what after that? Maybe the modern times section of HO volume 2, just skipping the middle ages?

I'm over thinking this, I'm sure. Lol.

If she is struggling that much, have you considered using Seton's worktexts instead? They might be more her speed and go at a considerably reduced pace. I don't like them as much as the Catholic textbook projects texts, but I've used them all at some point and my kids enjoyed them alright. They'd be my second choice and before CTP came along, they were my first. Not the carrol book or the old 1950 reprint books, just the Seton Press worktexts.

This is one reason why I like Seton Press. For the first time, I was exposed to the fact that there were actually other countries besides England running colonies. I was also made aware of the reverse discrimination that was involved as well. I was always taught about Maryland being a Catholic haven. However, I was not taught about the acts that were passed that made Catholicism a crime to practice. In being introduced to these things, I did more research and there was a lot of eye opening for ME.

I don't want Catholic/Christian white wash either way. I have actually found that Seton is a really good balance. Also, this book looks amazing and I might just get it as a supplemental encyclopedia!

What is on the CDs? I couldn't find a sample anywhere.

Has anyone put together a schedule for Light to the Nations 1 using it as a spine, but weaving in other literature?

Am I right to think that CTP takes two volumes (L2tN1 & L2tN2) to go from Christ to Modern vs. SOTW's three volumes?

Light to the Nations 1 is on my short list for oldest dd's history next year (or History Odyssey's Level 2 Medieval), but I'm just not familiar with CTP stuff to know what I'm getting. (We are using HO this year & I like it.)

I'm a little lost now. I don't want to use Human Odyssey volume 2 (which is what we would be using) if it's THAT biased, but there really isn't much else that will keep dd's interest. I'm hoping the study guide for Dorothy Mills' Middle Ages will be available by then (supposed to be done by spring), but then what after that? Maybe the modern times section of HO volume 2, just skipping the middle ages?

I haven't personally seen it, but Connecting with History Vol. 3 covers the relevant time period and has reading lists for grammar, logic, and rhetoric stages.

If she is struggling that much, have you considered using Seton's worktexts instead? They might be more her speed and go at a considerably reduced pace. I don't like them as much as the Catholic textbook projects texts, but I've used them all at some point and my kids enjoyed them alright. They'd be my second choice and before CTP came along, they were my first. Not the carrol book or the old 1950 reprint books, just the Seton Press worktexts.

Absolutely no offense towards Seton, my dd wants to cry at the mention of their history books. We did try their sixth grade world history text. She found it to be dry as chalk and had some, what she considered as, intolerant remarks about other faiths.

*I* enjoyed Seton's text - I found it interesting and the artwork is amazing in all their texts. She didn't. Lol.

I might try LTTN as a read aloud.

Absolutely no offense towards Seton, my dd wants to cry at the mention of their history books. We did try their sixth grade world history text. She found it to be dry as chalk and had some, what she considered as, intolerant remarks about other faiths.

I might try LTTN as a read aloud.

Perhaps I will get there in 6th grade, but we are in 4th and so far none of what you mention applies to what we've seen in Seton's history program. Not negating your experience at all - just commenting that we have seen none of that. It's colorful, conversational and very fair IMO in the lower grades.

They have completely rewritten their history books and I believe that 6th and 7th are some of them they have done as Seton press. IIRC, they were using another provider for those grades until the Seton press books were written. I'll have to go back and look.

Did you use this book? It was redone in 2009:

http://www.setonhome...oView=P-HI06-17

And the 7th grade text was redone in 2010.

Perhaps I will get there in 6th grade, but we are in 4th and so far none of what you mention applies to what we've seen in Seton's history program. Not negating your experience at all - just commenting that we have seen none of that. It's colorful, conversational and very fair IMO in the lower grades.

They have completely rewritten their history books and I believe that 6th and 7th are some of them they have done as Seton press. IIRC, they were using another provider for those grades until the Seton press books were written. I'll have to go back and look.

I did use that one last year with her for a few months. They had a couple of references to the Islamic faith that she didn't appreciate.

As an aside, I feel it is prudent to mention that dd11 is, unfortunately, strugging with her faith very much right now. She takes very seriously any perception she makes that someone (or some text) would treat any other faith unfairly. She also felt that the text was a bit too heavy handed with "the Catholic" (as she calls it). This year and next we are trying to gently lead her into a comfortable place with The Church -vs- shoving it on her (she's only 1.5 years out from confirmation and we have to take that into consideration). Heavy handed faith instruction appears to have the opposite effect on her - she feels forced and resists it more. Tentatively, we want a gentle Catholic history text that is conversational, interesting, and presents as fair to her. For religion instruction we will use Seton's confirmation prep, alongside CHC's Stories of the Saints (she does LOVE saint stories in general) for reading comprehension. Other than those two subjects, we are going to use secular texts and try to just involve her in some fun church activities (like the junior high youth group). Autumn is very literal, very science minded, and has an incredibly high standard of "just" and "fair".

The older texts they used to use that were reprints of old 1950/60s school texts were rather rough to modern ears. Referring to native americans as savages, negros, heathens and so forth that was common language to the generation back then.

But I haven't seen any of that in the current Seton published materials.

Now, I will note Seton does make it clear that Catholicism is the One True Faith, which in and of itself is not a derogatory statement of other faiths necessarily, so much as a statement of what the RCC teaches. If a person is not used to such adament statements, or more used to generalizations that avoid such statements, or simply does not agree with that teaching, it can be bothersome to read it. (I have no idea if any or all of that is the OPs situation and make no claims as to it. I'm just saying that many people not used to such adament statements or unfamiliar with the RCC or whatever are common reasons IRL that I have seen people put off of materials like that.)

The older texts they used to use that were reprints of old 1950/60s school texts were rather rough to modern ears. Referring to native americans as savages, negros, heathens and so forth that was common language to the generation back then.

Now, I will note Seton does make it clear that Catholicism is the One True Faith, which in and of itself is not a derogatory statement of other faiths necessarily, so much as a statement of what the RCC teaches. If a person is not used to such adament statements, or more used to generalizations that avoid such statements, or simply does not agree with that teaching, it can be bothersome to read it. (I have no idea if any or all of that is the OPs situation and make no claims as to it. I'm just saying that many people not used to such adament statements or unfamiliar with the RCC or whatever are common reasons IRL that I have seen people put off of materials like that.)

No, that wasn't it at all (she's quite used to being told that Catholicism is the One True Faith, lol).

While I can't remember specifics, she did point to a couple of statements in the book that make mention to Islam in, what she felt, was a less than tolerant way. I remember she was quite upset by it. I don't remember more than that.

Our greatest success with Seton has been their religion texts. Much more enjoyable for her than the Faith and Life series (I think the art work does it for her). I also enjoy their english texts and I'm hoping they have their new grade 7 out by next fall (last year they came out with grade 6 that is used independently of Voyages in English - it looks great).

I did use that one last year with her for a few months. They had a couple of references to the Islamic faith that she didn't appreciate.

As an aside, I feel it is prudent to mention that dd11 is, unfortunately, strugging with her faith very much right now. She takes very seriously any perception she makes that someone (or some text) would treat any other faith unfairly. She also felt that the text was a bit too heavy handed with "the Catholic" (as she calls it). This year and next we are trying to gently lead her into a comfortable place with The Church -vs- shoving it on her (she's only 1.5 years out from confirmation and we have to take that into consideration). Heavy handed faith instruction appears to have the opposite effect on her - she feels forced and resists it more. Tentatively, we want a gentle Catholic history text that is conversational, interesting, and presents as fair to her. For religion instruction we will use Seton's confirmation prep, alongside CHC's Stories of the Saints (she does LOVE saint stories in general) for reading comprehension. Other than those two subjects, we are going to use secular texts and try to just involve her in some fun church activities (like the junior high youth group). Autumn is very literal, very science minded, and has an incredibly high standard of "just" and "fair".

Thank you for that extra tidbit of information about your daughter and her struggles. I am so sorry that it is becoming a tough time for her. I know that every child reacts differently and every child sees things differently. That's the beauty of all these other choices. :)

Also as an aside, I'm new here. I am a person who LOVES discussion and abhors drama and confrontation. Anything I ask or say is not to provoke or push my POV - I ask questions and talk ad nauseum (as my husband says) about things.

I am a pretty laid back teacher - if I run across things that don't quite jive with my thoughts, beliefs, or the truth, I simply address them and move on. For instance: we love Apologia's conversational style of Science. We are not Young Earth Creationists at all. When we get to the "Creation Confirmation" sections, we read it, we study other viewpoints of that particular point she's trying to make, and then we move on.

For history, we've done the same thing. Fortunately for me, I have not run across anything I've needed to do that with Seton yet. I have found their history to be very fair, and yes, at times overly Catholic. I do like how they've set up this year's history text (written in 2012). They put the Catholic "heroes" in a separate page and we simply skip them if we don't have time to cover the other concepts and people fully.

Another aside: My family who are not particularly religious, call my husband and I Zealots. We are a Catholic family who lives our faith 24/7. They don't get that about us. So, some of the Catholic overload that bugs other people isn't an issue in the least with us.

Yes, I don't like the older versions of books that they have used in the past for History. I am LOVING that they are writing their own books about the topics. Every book that is written IMO is getting better and better.

I wouldn't expect people who aren't Catholic to like the books, just like there are certain providers I will avoid because of their anti-Catholic stances. LOL

Our greatest success with Seton has been their religion texts. Much more enjoyable for her than the Faith and Life series (I think the art work does it for her). I also enjoy their english texts and I'm hoping they have their new grade 7 out by next fall (last year they came out with grade 6 that is used independently of Voyages in English - it looks great).

I adore their Religion program. I taught my daughter's 1st and 4th grade CCD classes and our DRE hated the books she had to use. Felt they were fluff lite Catholic. I showed her our materials and she said, "Go for it!!" So, we read the RCL Benzinger book I had and I added Seton in. The kids were voracious about it and I was told that when they got into their 2nd grade sacramental class, they wanted me back. They said they learned so much and they were so bored. The teacher also told me that the students I had in 1st grade far exceeded the understanding of the other kids.

I wish we didn't as a church dumb down religious ed so much. Kids can DO this and understand this!!!

Thank you for that extra tidbit of information about your daughter and her struggles. I am so sorry that it is becoming a tough time for her. I know that every child reacts differently and every child sees things differently. That's the beauty of all these other choices. :)

Also as an aside, I'm new here. I am a person who LOVES discussion and abhors drama and confrontation. Anything I ask or say is not to provoke or push my POV - I ask questions and talk ad nauseum (as my husband says) about things.

I am a pretty laid back teacher - if I run across things that don't quite jive with my thoughts, beliefs, or the truth, I simply address them and move on. For instance: we love Apologia's conversational style of Science. We are not Young Earth Creationists at all. When we get to the "Creation Confirmation" sections, we read it, we study other viewpoints of that particular point she's trying to make, and then we move on.

For history, we've done the same thing. Fortunately for me, I have not run across anything I've needed to do that with Seton yet. I have found their history to be very fair, and yes, at times overly Catholic. I do like how they've set up this year's history text (written in 2012). They put the Catholic "heroes" in a separate page and we simply skip them if we don't have time to cover the other concepts and people fully.

Another aside: My family who are not particularly religious, call my husband and I Zealots. We are a Catholic family who lives our faith 24/7. They don't get that about us. So, some of the Catholic overload that bugs other people isn't an issue in the least with us.

I don't mind the "Catholic overload" myself :)

DD on the other hands, marches to the beat of a different drum. She appears to be my budding atheist and I may just outsource her favorite subject (science) to my husband for that reason - he can relate on some level. He is a devout Catholic and also holds several degrees in science, so she may be able to get from him (the ability to mesh what she believes "doesn't make sense" in religion, with what she feels is proven in science), what she can't get from me.

I don't mind the "Catholic overload" myself :)

DD on the other hands, marches to the beat of a different drum. She appears to be my budding atheist and I may just outsource her favorite subject (science) to my husband for that reason - he can relate on some level. He is a devout Catholic and also holds several degrees in science, so she may be able to get from him (the ability to mesh what she believes "doesn't make sense" in religion, with what she feels is proven in science), what she can't get from me.

I don't know if this would be helpful at all to you, but I am a science minded faithful Catholic. They are not mutually exclusive. Have her read some of our Pope's thoughts on religion and science. He is a very learned man, very scientifically minded. Reinforce to her that science does not disprove faith, and faith does not need to be "proven".

I will get the name to you, but there is a very very prominent Priest who speaks on just this issue and how Science can prove the existence of a God, and that it is totally NOT incompatible.

I had to be shown that science is a gift of knowledge from God and that science has never disproven God. My faith is not balanced on whether or not God created the world in 7 literal days or through evolution. My faith hinges on the fact that God created it all - not HOW he did it. Over time, that reinforcement helped me to see that science is not a replacement for God.

Am I making any sense? It's a big issue with me that I've worked through, but sometimes words fail me.

I don't know if this would be helpful at all to you, but I am a science minded faithful Catholic. They are not mutually exclusive. Have her read some of our Pope's thoughts on religion and science. He is a very learned man, very scientifically minded. Reinforce to her that science does not disprove faith, and faith does not need to be "proven".

I will get the name to you, but there is a very very prominent Priest who speaks on just this issue and how Science can prove the existence of a God, and that it is totally NOT incompatible.

I had to be shown that science is a gift of knowledge from God and that science has never disproven God. My faith is not balanced on whether or not God created the world in 7 literal days or through evolution. My faith hinges on the fact that God created it all - not HOW he did it. Over time, that reinforcement helped me to see that science is not a replacement for God.

Am I making any sense? It's a big issue with me that I've worked through, but sometimes words fail me.

You are making perfect sense. My husband and I feel the same way. My issue with teaching it to her is that, to me, faith just "makes sense" - it doesn't to her. KWIM? She feels the need for proof, and since I'm not the least bit scientifically minded, I'm not much help to her (where my husband is).

I wrote on Seton's facebook wall a few days ago asking if I could fully enroll but sub out their math and science and I was told I could. Have you looked at CHC's Behold and See science curriculum? Very, very nice. We love them. Their grade 7 is supposed to be out by next school year and that's what I will use if it is out - very catholic, very conversational, very sound science (since my husband nixed Apologia as an option, lol). If it isn't out, we'll finish up what McHenry materials we haven't already used, lol.

I wrote on Seton's facebook wall a few days ago asking if I could fully enroll but sub out their math and science and I was told I could. Have you looked at CHC's Behold and See science curriculum? Very, very nice. We love them. Their grade 7 is supposed to be out by next school year and that's what I will use if it is out - very catholic, very conversational, very sound science (since my husband nixed Apologia as an option, lol). If it isn't out, we'll finish up what McHenry materials we haven't already used, lol.

That's exactly what I am doing next year. I am going to take their silly science book that I see no value in and do the tests but use Behold and See 5. I want to stay fully enrolled and have them do all my transcripts and correcting, thus why I'm taking their Rod and Staff book. Blech. Even Melissa says Blech. Who knows, I might just go on my own with science for one year.

Seton Press 6 should be ready for us by the time we get there and I'm THRILLED. They are writing a Seton Press 5 but I don't think it will be ready for us next year. I have to say, Seton Press 4 is AMAZING!!!!

You are making perfect sense. My husband and I feel the same way. My issue with teaching it to her is that, to me, faith just "makes sense" - it doesn't to her. KWIM? She feels the need for proof, and since I'm not the least bit scientifically minded, I'm not much help to her (where my husband is).

You don't need to be. I'm saying introduce her to Pope Benedict's writing to show her that there ISN'T a faith crisis to believe that science has answers. Whether your DH teaches her or you do, that is pretty much self explanatory. If I'm hearing you correctly, she is failing to see how faith can help her when it seems science has all the answers, right?

That's exactly what I am doing next year. I am going to take their silly science book that I see no value in and do the tests but use Behold and See 5. I want to stay fully enrolled and have them do all my transcripts and correcting, thus why I'm taking their Rod and Staff book. Blech. Even Melissa says Blech. Who knows, I might just go on my own with science for one year.

Seton Press 6 should be ready for us by the time we get there and I'm THRILLED. They are writing a Seton Press 5 but I don't think it will be ready for us next year. I have to say, Seton Press 4 is AMAZING!!!!

We are die hard Behold and See fans, lol. I can't WAIT until my middle son is old enough for their grade 1 book. Counting the years :)

So if I fully enroll but sub out materials, I have to do their tests? Yikes. How is that going to work when dd is working a couple years ahead in math (compared to their text offerings)? Will they send the tests?

We are die hard Behold and See fans, lol. I can't WAIT until my middle son is old enough for their grade 1 book. Counting the years :)

So if I fully enroll but sub out materials, I have to do their tests? Yikes. How is that going to work when dd is working a couple years ahead in math (compared to their text offerings)? Will they send the tests?

No, I have to do their tests if I stay fully enrolled and use their materials. If you've told them you are subbing out certain things, you supply the test, you correct it, and you keep your own records for those subjects. :)

Tell me about Behold and See 5. I'm really looking forward to using it! I showed Melissa the PDF online of it and she was really excited. She's one of those "It must be pretty and engaging" type of kid. LOL

You don't need to be. I'm saying introduce her to Pope Benedict's writing to show her that there ISN'T a faith crisis to believe that science has answers. Whether your DH teaches her or you do, that is pretty much self explanatory. If I'm hearing you correctly, she is failing to see how faith can help her when it seems science has all the answers, right?

Not exactly. She doesn't feel that faith, in and of itself, makes any sense, scientifically. You point out a miracle, she says "prove it" (and saying "but it's a miracle, that's the point" doesn't count with her, lol).

Not exactly. She doesn't feel that faith, in and of itself, makes any sense, scientifically. You point out a miracle, she says "prove it" (and saying "but it's a miracle, that's the point" doesn't count with her, lol).

She's right - it doesn't. It's faith. Maybe that's her sticking point. LOL

That sounded flip - I'm sorry.

It's true though. She's trying to "test" faith by the scientific method, and you can't. Faith is not testable by science. It just IS.

No, I have to do their tests if I stay fully enrolled and use their materials. If you've told them you are subbing out certain things, you supply the test, you correct it, and you keep your own records for those subjects. :)

Tell me about Behold and See 5. I'm really looking forward to using it! I showed Melissa the PDF online of it and she was really excited. She's one of those "It must be pretty and engaging" type of kid. LOL

Haven't used 5. I've used 6 for a while (we only left it because it was behind where dd was and 7 wasn't out yet) and I've seen friends' younger grades.

Most are color (though not all - I do know that 5 and 6 are), ALL are engaging (it introduces you to "characters" who are used to tell the story and *do* the science throughout the text), and all have saint stories, how the science introduced relates to our faith, etc. The activities are fun, engaging, and home friendly. There's no stance on YE -vs- OE (which is nice since we are not young earth).

A good example of the way they introduce a topic is in the grade 6 book when a young boy was discussing with his mother and father (light hearted, funny, solid) how to make a carrot cake - it was a unit on mass. They make it easy to relate to for children and include characters of an age our children can relate to personally.

Haven't used 5. I've used 6 for a while (we only left it because it was behind where dd was and 7 wasn't out yet) and I've seen friends' younger grades.

Most are color (though not all - I do know that 5 and 6 are), ALL are engaging (it introduces you to "characters" who are used to tell the story and *do* the science throughout the text), and all have saint stories, how the science introduced relates to our faith, etc. The activities are fun, engaging, and home friendly. There's no stance on YE -vs- OE (which is nice since we are not young earth).

A good example of the way they introduce a topic is in the grade 6 book when a young boy was discussing with his mother and father (light hearted, funny, solid) how to make a carrot cake - it was a unit on mass. They make it easy to relate to for children and include characters of an age our children can relate to personally.

Coolio - that sounds great to me!! I am glad that in the younger years they don't focus so much on young earth/old earth.

She's right - it doesn't. It's faith. Maybe that's her sticking point. LOL

That sounded flip - I'm sorry.

It's true though. She's trying to "test" faith by the scientific method, and you can't. Faith is not testable by science. It just IS.

I'm with you. She just isn't yet. According to the wonderful ladies on the Seton board I belong to, it's pretty age appropriate to question and argue (puberty!), so there's hope she'll outgrow it, lol.

I'm with you. She just isn't yet. According to the wonderful ladies on the Seton board I belong to, it's pretty age appropriate to question and argue (puberty!), so there's hope she'll outgrow it, lol.

Which Seton board do you belong to? I"m on Heart of Seton at yahoo.

Prayer for guidance in how to move forward is the best thing to do now. God has it - we just have to ride through it, eh?

Which Seton board do you belong to? I"m on Heart of Seton at yahoo.

Prayer for guidance in how to move forward is the best thing to do now. God has it - we just have to ride through it, eh?

Same as you (the Yahoo group).

Which Susan are you (I lose track of them all!)? Lol.

Same as you (the Yahoo group).

Which Susan are you (I lose track of them all!)? Lol.

I am Still Another Susan - not the one with the komodo dragon, not the one who's Dad Just died. I'll send a message "Hi Aimee" so you know which one is me.

I'm the one who's husband is unemployed, my Mom's house just got sold that we were living in and we're now at my IL's house.

Martha - would you say the reading level for LTTN is accurate (middle school)? A review on Amazon (there were only two reviews) stated that they considered the reading level high school (that would be a definite problem for us).

I did look at the samples provided and the book looks interesting - I'm just wondering if it's an accurate portrayal of the rest of the text.

Enough so that my 6th grade son said he didn't like that the book was blaming everything on the church. I should've flagged it before he did. :bored:

As a Florida girl that moved to Virginia in 2007 I could not stop rolling my eyes at the hoopla over the 400th anniversary of the first colony, Jamestown. Hello people, St. Augustine was founded decades before........

As a Florida girl that moved to Virginia in 2007 I could not stop rolling my eyes at the hoopla over the 400th anniversary of the first colony, Jamestown. Hello people, St. Augustine was founded decades before........

Another thing I learned from the Seton History book this year! LOL