Menu

Dr. Hive...what do you do for a very sore throat??

kfeusse

My throat is raw with pain. I know it's because I have a cold and I have horrible sinus drainage. I just need something to soothe my throat so I can swallow without jumping through the roof with pain....ok...it's probably not that bad..but it really hurts.

thanks.

Kathy

Ibuprofen takes care of sore throat pain really well. In most cases, it eliminates it completely. You can take up to 800 mg (4 Ibuprofen tablets) every six hours for the pain. You can also gargle with salt water and use throat lozenges and/or a numbing spray. Keep it moist (lots of water or tea). That soothes the throat and thins the mucous, helping it to drain faster. Chicken soup is great. Hot, steamy showers also help the phlegm and mucous to thin and drain. Good luck!

Ibuprofen takes care of sore throat pain really well. In most cases, it eliminates it completely. You can take up to 800 mg (4 Ibuprofen tablets) every six hours for the pain. You can also gargle with salt water and use throat lozenges and/or a numbing spray. Keep it moist (lots of water or tea). That soothes the throat and thins the mucous, helping it to drain faster. Chicken soup is great. Hot, steamy showers also help the phlegm and mucous to thin and drain. Good luck!

I just took 3 Motrin...if I don't feel much better in a little while, should I take a 4th one? I did gargle with salt water...didn't seem to help much...is it a deal where I have to do it several times to feel relief? and if so, how often should that be done.

It hurts to drink..but I will try reallyy hard to do that more.

I am not congested...as in my nose...I am blowing my nose some, but for the most part, I just have mucus in my throat.

When I went to bed last night, my throat barely hurt, but I remember waking up at about 3 in the morning any my throat was extrememly sore...I slept some, but it was hard.

thanks for your suggestions...hoping for relief soon.

For a sore throat, I gargle with cayenne pepper mixed with water. Seems counterintuitive, but it works like a charm.

Put a few dashes of cayenne powder in about a cup of water (start with just a little at first to see what you can handle), and then gargle with it for as long as you can stand it. Avoid breathing in through your nose and mouth when you first put the water in your mouth, because if you breathe in the cayenne powder it will burn.

If I do this at the first sign of a sore throat, I only have to do it once. If I wait too long, and have had a sore throat for a day or so, then I might have to do it several times over the course of a day or two before the soreness goes away. It does provide significant relief within about 15-20 min., but keep repeating it throughout the day until your sore throat is gone completely.

Cayenne is a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant (for certain irritants - obviously, it can also irritate your nose, eyes, etc.), and aids in breaking down and moving congested mucus. The active component in cayenne peppers (capsaicin) is actually used in a lot of OTC medicines for those reasons.

Hope you get some relief soon!

For a sore throat, I gargle with cayenne pepper mixed with water. Seems counterintuitive, but it works like a charm.

Put a few dashes of cayenne powder in about a cup of water (start with just a little at first to see what you can handle), and then gargle with it for as long as you can stand it. Avoid breathing in through your nose and mouth when you first put the water in your mouth, because if you breathe in the cayenne powder it will burn.

If I do this at the first sign of a sore throat, I only have to do it once. If I wait too long, and have had a sore throat for a day or so, then I might have to do it several times over the course of a day or two before the soreness goes away. It does provide significant relief within about 15-20 min., but keep repeating it throughout the day until your sore throat is gone completely.

Cayenne is a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant (for certain irritants - obviously, it can also irritate your nose, eyes, etc.), and aids in breaking down and moving congested mucus. The active component in cayenne peppers (capsaicin) is actually used in a lot of OTC medicines for those reasons.

This is what I do and I swear it is MAGIC. If I miss the first inklings of the sore throat, I keep a small mason jar of the mixture with me and take it as necessary. I swallow it rather than spit it out, that way it does not have to go past my tongue twice. I have found no other remedy that works as well.

I just took 3 Motrin...if I don't feel much better in a little while, should I take a 4th one? I did gargle with salt water...didn't seem to help much...is it a deal where I have to do it several times to feel relief? and if so, how often should that be done.

It hurts to drink..but I will try reallyy hard to do that more.

I am not congested...as in my nose...I am blowing my nose some, but for the most part, I just have mucus in my throat.

When I went to bed last night, my throat barely hurt, but I remember waking up at about 3 in the morning any my throat was extrememly sore...I slept some, but it was hard.

thanks for your suggestions...hoping for relief soon.

Yep, you can take another one if you don't see relief in 40 minutes or so. Caffeine speeds up the effects of Motrin (and other pain relievers), so if you have any, that might help. If you have mucous in your throat, it is draining from your sinuses, which is a good thing. If they're not draining, they're blocked and that's when infections start. Usually with morning sinus drainage, you should feel much better by afternoon. If your drainage is combined with an infection/cold, then you won't. LOL Give it a week, and if you're still just as sick, see your doctor. Antibiotics might be in order then.

something must have worked...I am feeling some better...I tried the honey and the Motrin. I also gargled with salt water. I was going to try the pickle juice, but I didn't have any at the time...and the cayenne pepper...well....that is NOT my favorite flavor...I don't even like to cook with it much...but I still might try it if the pain comes back.

thanks for all of the suggestions.

:iagree: I do the same for a sore throat. I use the tincture.

Juice of half to a whole of a lemon (I like mine more bitter, DH likes his a little less so) mixed with a mug of hot water and a couple teaspoons of honey. Bonus points if the honey is raw and/or local.

Or, if I'm not feeling in the mood for lemon... cut an inch of ginger root and toss it and a couple cups of water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Fill mug approx 2/3 the way full of ginger water, add a little sugar or honey, some milk, and top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I am SUPER miserable tonight. I took 4 Motrin right before supper...no relief...I have gargled with salt water, no relief...I just gargles with cayenne pepper...so now I am waiting to see if that does anything...I am concerned I won't sleep well tonight.

I thought about taking a sudefed (but it has the tendancy to keep me awake) and a Benedryl (to help me sleep)...is that ok? WIll that help wiht the sinus drainage? My throat hurts and I am not even swallowing ....I can just feel the pain. I know it's from sinus drainage...I have had these before...and i have suffered through them...I just didn't want to have to again.

Is there anything else I can do for tonight...anyway?

Is there anything else I can do for tonight...anyway?

I don't drink very often, but I'll take a shot glass, fill with hot water, pour out, pour in half sweet liquour, like Cherry Heering, and half hot hot water and I knock it back. It makes me sleep for 2 hours and overwhelms my throat, too.

You can also take 2 Tylenols and 2 Advils safely. The Tylenol kills the pain, and the Advil cuts down the inflammation. You can do this every 4-6 hours or so. I got this from a physical therapist friend of mine for my sciatica, but it works on anything that hurts!

Hope you feel better soon!

You can also take 2 Tylenols and 2 Advils safely. The Tylenol kills the pain, and the Advil cuts down the inflammation. You can do this every 4-6 hours or so. I got this from a physical therapist friend of mine for my sciatica, but it works on anything that hurts!

Hope you feel better soon!

takes these at the same time?? I will try that. thanks.

thanks for the suggestion...didn't work though. I think I am just stuck suffering through this one...it's painful!!! But it was a little better this afternoon...but it's worse again now. As it was this morning when I woke up...thanks again for all of the ideas.