Menu

How and when to use the Get Ready For The Code Books?

ExcitedMama

I ordered Book A and was surprised when I received it that it seems more like a workbook than phonics. I was intending to incorporate it into a letter of the week type thing with my 3 year old. Do I need the teacher's manual to get this? Also it starts with F and not B so should I teach the ABCs in the order of the books?

Thank you!

I'd think they might be too hard for a 3-year-old. I use it with my 4 year old who already knows most of her letter sounds, so it is kind of review for her. BUT It has a lot more handwriting than I thought it would, yet it doesn't really teach how to form the letters well. So that part is hard for my dd. I use it along with other handwriting program so she can learn to write the letter at the same time as she learns the sound.

We used them around 3.5yo after he learned letter sounds as reinforcement, learning to hold on to a pencil or crayon, and a way to teach following directions. Easier with a fun workbook than while doing chores.

He loved the primers and did most of them on his own, but had no attention span for ETC 1, so it's been shelved. I'll likely start my 3yo on the primers in the fall to give him something school-ish (aka quiet) to do. He was pretty miffed when I gave him the already-finished ones to color in.

I love these books! We haven't used the teacher's guide. I think they are pretty self- explanatory. As long as he has a pretty basic grasp of his letters and sounds, try it. If you sense frustration, he might not be ready. We started slow at 3 1/2 and now he is 5 1/2 in Book 1. Books A,B and C have a certain flow to them. My son got used to it and, even though he couldn't read the directions, he would often pull one out and start working on his own. He was proud that he knew what to do. The work style was the same, just with a new letter. And I have to tell you, my youngest is NOT a natural reader. It gave him a chance to get familiar with letters and really grasp them without frustration.