Menu

Sigh...DS10 does NOT like WWS...what to do? Suggestions???

hlee

Hello everyone---I have a DS10 who is an avid reader and a natural writer. I have been struggling with finding the right curriculum for him, however; we used WWE back when he was in 2nd-3rd grade, then used Writing Strands which I didn't like so much last year. This year, I switched to Writing With Skill as it seemed to offer teaching in areas that he hadn't learned much about yet (outlining, etc.) He has NOT enjoyed it, to the point where he says, "I hate writing!" which is a dagger to this writer-mom's heart!

What do your kids who are similar to him enjoy using? We are finishing up FFL4 and may start using R&S, which I understand has composition exercises as well as grammar. Would that be sufficient, what would I be giving up if I abandon WWS at this point? I hate to keep switching on him, but I don't want him to hate his writing program!

I would love any suggestions...feeling a little in despair about it. I looked over IEW but felt its approach was too formulaic for someone with his natural abilities. But he does need to learn more about structuring his writing and about some typical usage issues.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

I am not knowledgeable enough to make an intelligent recommendation (my dd11 LOVES WWS and I am fortunate that it is working very well for us) but I wanted to comment that perhaps your DS is a tad young for WWS? I'm trying to gauge what grade you have him in based on what he is using and I'm thinking that perhaps if he is in FLL4 it would be best to put WWS away for a year (or even two) and try it then. :) It is a difficult program. :) I believe there are a number of families on this board who use it with older children.

As for recommendations, the only other programs I have used are the progymnasmata ones- Classical Composition and CW Homer. My dd enjoys both of these as well. This year she is doing Classical Comp. alongside WWS2 beta test and last year we interspersed CW Homer with WWS1. She's not sure which she prefers more but is leaning towards CW Homer. However, she has asked that next year we don't do a program that focuses so much on narrative writing. :)

It doesnt sound like your DS would like IEW. Have you looked at BraveWriter (the Writer's Jungle)? That might be something he enjoys.

I think it's important that the kids enjoy writing. If he's telling you he hates it I would take that as a good sign to set aside the program, at least for now. :)