Menu

Daughter has hives, suspecting strawberries

Sahamamama

My daughter (nearly 8) came back from a sleepover at her grandparents' house yesterday afternoon. I gave her a bath, then noticed numerous small, pink blotches all over the front of both legs, from her thigh to past her knees. She actually had hives on her knees. I've never seen that before.

I asked her what she had eaten. She had four strawberries and some blackberries, among other things. She's had a mild reaction to strawberries and/or a certain brand of milk before (a year ago?), but we couldn't pin it down to strawberries, since she ate them along with an unfamiliar brand of milk. So, which one was it?

I gave her a dose of Benadryl, put some hydrocortisone cream on for the itching, and thought it would be better in the morning. It's worse.

The hives have spread down and around both legs. The hives look worse. Gave her another dose of Benadryl, bathed her legs in "oatmeal water" (moist oatmeal in a clean sock), and put on more HC cream. She says it itches like crazy.

She now has one blotch on her back and one on her arm. Could this be strawberries? Call the ped? What more could we do at home?

I hate going to the ped. He'll say, "Yup, it's hives, come back next week. Next."

My daughter had hives as the result of a cold about 2 years ago. The doc recommended benydryl and lots of water to flush her system. She was really good about drinking the water and it must've helped because they were gone in about 48 hours. Maybe getting her to drink some more would help. If its an allergic reaction you might want to go see the ped though just to be sure it won't affect anything else, partiularly if they are getting worse.

Actually, I see two possibilities but the same recommendation either way. I would not take her to the pediatrician given you've not seen any other body systems involved. At this point I wouldn't be worried about anaphylaxis personally and my son does have anaphylactic food allergies. I would get some Zyrtec (generic is fine) OTC and use that rather than benadryl. It suppresses hives very well without redosing. I'd do it at full dose for her age at least a solid week before I went off. Read up on anaphylaxis signs so that you are aware of any other body system signs. If you see something it's an emergency of course. But, without those signs, I don't know what he pediatrician would do outside of tell you to use an anti-histamine.

It could be the strawberries. People often think allergic hives will subside quickly but they don't always. My son has had two hive food reactions that persisted. One was oranges. He had to stay on the Zyrtec for a long time to get that reaction cycle stopped. My dad had a similar experience with a drug allergy reaction. If she hasn't had strawberries since her original reaction (has she?) then that is likely in my mind. I might consider allergy testing to confirm.

But viruses cause hives too. My non-allergic child has had hives from viruses twice. Both times the hives appeared after he began getting better otherwise. They stuck around like you're describing. I quickly switched to Zyrtec and left him on for two weeks the latest time. When he went off he was fine.

I know hives are miserable; I really do think Zyrtec will give her lasting relief no matter the underlying cause.

I'd go with Zyrtec too over Benedryl. I've taken both together. But call your pedi to make sure. And ask about a low dose Zantac too. It is standard for me when I get a reaction that I can't stop with just Zyrtec to take two benedryl and 150mg of Zantac.

After this you'll want to take her to an allergist to be tested. Allergies tend to get worse with each exposure. An allergist may want you to have an epi-pen on hand.

I'd lean toward the strawberries being the culprit. Unless you are buying non-cow's milk, milk all tends to be just milk no matter the brand. I think the only thing they can add to it is vit D.

Actually, I see two possibilities but the same recommendation either way. I would not take her to the pediatrician given you've not seen any other body systems involved. At this point I wouldn't be worried about anaphylaxis personally and my son does have anaphylactic food allergies. I would get some Zyrtec (generic is fine) OTC and use that rather than benadryl. It suppresses hives very well without redosing. I'd do it at full dose for her age at least a solid week before I went off. Read up on anaphylaxis signs so that you are aware of any other body system signs. If you see something it's an emergency of course. But, without those signs, I don't know what he pediatrician would do outside of tell you to use an anti-histamine.

It could be the strawberries. People often think allergic hives will subside quickly but they don't always. My son has had two hive food reactions that persisted. One was oranges. He had to stay on the Zyrtec for a long time to get that reaction cycle stopped. My dad had a similar experience with a drug allergy reaction. If she hasn't had strawberries since her original reaction (has she?) then that is likely in my mind. I might consider allergy testing to confirm.

But viruses cause hives too. My non-allergic child has had hives from viruses twice. Both times the hives appeared after he began getting better otherwise. They stuck around like you're describing. I quickly switched to Zyrtec and left him on for two weeks the latest time. When he went off he was fine.

I know hives are miserable; I really do think Zyrtec will give her lasting relief no matter the underlying cause.

Thanks! I just read this after I posted above. I'll get out and get some Zyrtec later and keep her on it.