Menu

Favourite pre-k games?

skeeterbug

I'll start...

This is a Richard Scarry card game that we love. So simple, easy to play, quick game. All cards go in a pile. Each player takes a card, we all say '1-2-3 FLIP!' And flip over our cards. Hoever has the highest number gets the cards. If two players get the same number you draw again. Whoever has the most cards wins, you determine this by stacking the cards and comparing the size of the stacks. Numbers go to twelve, and there are a few cards where you add them together. And all the cards have Richard Scarry illustrations, the number of characters in the vehicle match the number on the card, so you can practice counting. We just love this game. Perfect for learning numbers.

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Cars-Trucks-Game/dp/B003EMF1DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358830053&sr=8-1&keywords=Richard+scarry+cars+trucks

What's the favourite pre-k game at your house right now?

My kids are on the floor next to me right now playing The Ladybug Game for the zillionth time. They also love UNO (and UNO Moo for the 3yo), Ravensburger's River, Roads, and Rails game, and Chutes and Ladders. The Chuggington Ride the Rails game is pretty short, and they can keep playing by themselves long after I am D-O-N-E.

We play all the games out of the Cuisinaire Rod Activity Book, and they love any kind of bingo I come up with (numbers, phonics, shapes, etc.)

I am getting that card game. It looks perfect! My 2.5 year-old daughter is obsessed with counting things right now. (The library has 21 steps) We've been waiting to play war with her. Now we won't have to wait.

I hope you'll like it! It's easy to tuck in your purse and play when you find you have time to kill somewhere. Older kids like it too, my 8 yo is happy to play it with 3yo.

We love games! DD's favorite games right now:

Guess Who

Mouse Trap

Battleship

Tsuro

The Ladybug Game

Aggravation

Teddy Bear mix-n-match (we have numerous games we play with this set which is intended to be memory)

We have that Teddy Bear game and love it. I am so surprised at how much my kids like it, it seems so simple. We typically play memory, and we've named each of the bears and look at how they match, are mirror images, etc. But not other games. I'd love to hear about the different ways you use it!

For my DD3, Dominoes, Candyland, Zingo (my friend just showed me there's a Spanish bilingual version-I wish we had that instead!), Ladybug Game, bird bingo, and Sequence for Kids. And puzzles out the yin yang (48-96 pieces).

Thanks for the other ideas!

We have that Teddy Bear game and love it. I am so surprised at how much my kids like it, it seems so simple. We typically play memory, and we've named each of the bears and look at how they match, are mirror images, etc. But not other games. I'd love to hear about the different ways you use it!

We've named all the bears, too!

We play "guess who" by splitting up the pairs. One pair is laid out face up and the others are in a stack. We take turns picking a bear from the stack and the other asks questions to figure out which bear they have. This is DD's favorite game to play with the bears.

We play two memory/repeat type games. I'll lay out a set of bears, anywhere from 2 to 6 for DD, and she takes a minute to look at them. One way to play from here is she turns around or closes her eyes and trys to name all the bears that were out. Another way is for her to turn around and I turn one bear over. Then she turns back around and trys to guess the missing bear. For repeating them I only give her a few, for identifying the missing bear I'll do 5 or 6. We take turns being the one trying to remember all the bears.

We play a game kind of like I Spy, or opposite of guess who. We lay out one set of bears and take turns describing a bear for the other one to pick out. We haven't played this one in a while, it was better suited to her at an early 3 when I was trying to work with her on descriptions and identifying.

For a while we used them to copy sequences. I'd take one set and lay out a sequence of several bears, and she repeated it below with her set of bears.

We sometimes see how many ways we can sort the bears: clothed/no clothes, edible/non-edible, girl/boy(she's decided which ones are girls, they are half and half), paws out/paws hiding, eating/not eating...

Basically she loves the teddy bears and I got tired of playing the same game, so I'm always thinking up silly little things to do with them just for a change!

We liked Zingo at that age.

Our favorite was a Gamewright Game they don't make anymore called Bzz Out. I remember sitting with the kids and playing for a good hour sometimes (each game only took ten minutes).

We also started playing Rat-a-tat-cat at that age - we would flip the cards facing up.

Basically she loves the teddy bears and I got tired of playing the same game, so I'm always thinking up silly little things to do with them just for a change!

Thank you! These sound great. I really like the Guess Who and I Spy type games, we will try those.

You guys are really horrible for my pocketbook. I will be placing my third Amazon this week to get the bear matching game. My second that can be blamed on you guys. I'd seen the teddy matching game on Sonlight, but I'd had so many of the books already I didn't buy the package from them. I bought two different matching games for $1 each at consignment sales. But, I looked at them last night and they just aren't going to cut it. They look flimsy and uninteresting compared to the Teddy Bear game. Then of course I need to get to $25 so I bought some teddy bear counters.

Carcasonne--It was my husband's idea to teach the girls to 'play' Carcasonne with just the tiles, taking turns choosing a tile from the bag and then placing it to connect to the others. Playing this way without the little people turns it into a cooperative game where everyone works together to build a big picture that turns out different each time. Great for logic. My three-year-old loves this; it is really challenging for the two-year-old.

Besides that, Candyland, Hi-Ho-Cherrio, and Dominoes (by making chains of matching numbers).

Off topic---but my MIL gave us some old books that we have been doing vintage paper crafts with and some of them were books that belonged to my dh when he was little. One of them is that Uncle Wiggly book. I'm going to have to dig that out of the box and give it a closer look.

My littles favorite games are Candyland, Qwirkle, an eeboo memory game, operation and blokus. They pull those out a lot.

We have also adapted instructions so they can play Pictionary, Cranium and Spill Your Guts with my older ds.