Menu

HG Moms - Will it ever stop haunting me?

k2bdeutmeyer

So.....I have my glucose tolerance test on Wednesday. I'm petrified. Scared to death that HG will rear it's ugly head when I have to chug that stuff. I have a hard time with carbonated drinks right now anyway.....but chugging it? Right after lunch? I shudder at the thought.....and I'm sure I will pay for it ALL afternoon.

Oh and did I mention that I've NEVER been afraid of needles before being stuck so many times in such a short time and being left with so many bruises? The thought of having my blood drawn makes me want to run and hide.

I can do this, right?

::curls up in fetal position as much as my big belly will allow::

There is a different test. I am on my Nook or I would expound. Look up Jelly Bean Glucose testing. It is a valid alternative I used with my last pregnancy. Created from a study at Harvard I think? Cannot recall details. After I regurgitated twice the doc suggested this instead. My midwife had never heard of it and thought it was fabuloso!!

There is a different test. I am on my Nook or I would expound. Look up Jelly Bean Glucose testing. It is a valid alternative I used with my last pregnancy. Created from a study at Harvard I think? Cannot recall details. After I regurgitated twice the doc suggested this instead. My midwife had never heard of it and thought it was fabuloso!!

Yeah, I remember reading something about it......I doubt my dr would go for it unless I actually puke up the orange drink.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

It sucks, but you get a baby at the end.

No advice, I did a different type of test with my second pregnancy and with my first they didn't force the fasting because there was no way I would have made it. We worked it out, but I don't recall the details.

At the clinic lab I work at, we don't ever make anyone chug that awful stuff! Sipping should be okay (drink it down in about 5 minutes). And since you're talking about multiple needle pokes, are you going to have a one hour glucose tolerance or a three hour glucose tolerance (which should only be done if you've failed your one hour glucose tolerance test)? Oh, and here's the link on the jelly bean test: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561636. You could be b*llsy and refuse the test on the grounds that you would be willing to check your blood sugar with the same meter that diabetics use. The A1C test would be good too, since it reflects the average that your blood sugar has been for the past 3 months. If this is not your first pregnancy, and your blood sugar has been good in previous pregnancies, and there isn't anything else that concerns your doctor you might be able to talk your way out of it. Or you could just not show up to the lab to have the test done! Sounds too like you've had a lot of bad blood draws. If the phlebotomists/lab techs are doing a really lousy job (like missing veins that should be easy to find/poke), then feel free to complain (repectfully) to whoever's in charge of that lab. Having blood drawn should not be torture and should not leave you feeling afraid of something you were never afraid of before. Personally, I would just not show up to the lab for the test if it freaked me out that much. As a patient, you have the right to refuse treatment, and that includes having your blood drawn.

I used this with both of my pregnancies. I barfed up the first time I tried the beverage, and I knew before I tried it that would probably happen. I can't chug carbonation. Period. Especially on a pregnant stomach that was throwing up half the time anyhow.

Anyhow, my test required specific jellybeans -- I think they were Brock's or Brach's.

I had HG the entire time I was pg with the boys. I spent 7 weeks in the hospital for pre-term labor and had shots before each meal or no food would stay down. I had a glucose tolerance test while I was there. The liquid was like Coke syrup; no carbonation. I made sure it was very cold, and I sipped it for several minutes to get it all down. It did not come back up.

It being very cold was the trick, according to my nurse. Mind you, this was 19 years ago, so maybe the test is different now.

At the clinic lab I work at, we don't ever make anyone chug that awful stuff! Sipping should be okay (drink it down in about 5 minutes). And since you're talking about multiple needle pokes, are you going to have a one hour glucose tolerance or a three hour glucose tolerance (which should only be done if you've failed your one hour glucose tolerance test)? Oh, and here's the link on the jelly bean test: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10561636. You could be b*llsy and refuse the test on the grounds that you would be willing to check your blood sugar with the same meter that diabetics use. The A1C test would be good too, since it reflects the average that your blood sugar has been for the past 3 months. If this is not your first pregnancy, and your blood sugar has been good in previous pregnancies, and there isn't anything else that concerns your doctor you might be able to talk your way out of it. Or you could just not show up to the lab to have the test done! Sounds too like you've had a lot of bad blood draws. If the phlebotomists/lab techs are doing a really lousy job (like missing veins that should be easy to find/poke), then feel free to complain (repectfully) to whoever's in charge of that lab. Having blood drawn should not be torture and should not leave you feeling afraid of something you were never afraid of before. Personally, I would just not show up to the lab for the test if it freaked me out that much. As a patient, you have the right to refuse treatment, and that includes having your blood drawn.

I had a lot....LOT of bad sticks through the worst of my HG. I was getting IVs every 2-3 days and it was taking 3-4 sticks per IV. Add in a few bad blood draws and needles suddenly make my stomach turn in a way they never did before.

This is just the 1hr test. 4th baby.

My doc let me do the jellybeans and I was able to get the blood drawn through my PICC. My baby is three months old next week and my health still hasn't fully recovered. I don't know if I will ever physically be the same. Pm me if you ever want to talk. :grouphug:

I might just do that.....I'm really doing a LOT better, but it creeps up in strange ways.

I refused it, I had HG with both pregnancies and I couldn't even get down 1 tsp of liquid, no way was I willing to try the glucola.

If I was still in that phase, I would definitely be refusing. Thankfully, I'm actually doing much better and will honestly, probably be fine as far as puking/nausea goes.

My problem is this horrible reflux (food refluxing, not acid). Carbonated drinks and I do not get along too well right now and between that and the sheer volume in a short time, I'm sure I'll be paying for it all afternoon. Add in my new found fear of needles and sigh......I just don't even want to go.

Make sure it is cold! I haven't had HG but I get terribly sick when I have to fast. The key is having it cold. It tasted like orange soda or flat Sprite (depending on which flavor you get) when I did the one hour. Room temp would have been nasty.

I don't have to fast thank goodness!! I can't remember of they give it to me cold or not. I've really never had a problem with the test before. Never dreaded it, etc......until now.

I refused the test with DS and DD2 because I was so sick from doing it with DD1. With DS, my OB told me to eat a normal breakfast (as much as my HG would allow) and get my blood drawn. With DD2 (different OB) , he had me eat a 3 Musketeer and a 1/2 c of apple juice and then take the test. I got so violently ill from the 3 Musketeers that I still can't look at one without feeling nauseous and DD2 is 15 months old.

I don't think you ever fully get over HG.

There are several options you could ask about... A1C, a regular fasting blood draw, checking your own glucose for a couple weeks... I'm planning on refusing my GD test because it would really mess me up, and I'd be happy to do any of those tests. I just can't stand the drink... and in all reality, who would chug a glass of sugar? I just don't see it being good for me and definitely not for the baby.

I've been following your HG story and I'm sorry you have been so sick. I'm glad you are feeling better, but that nasty syrup stuff is gross! Gag! I couldn't drink carbonated drinks while pregnant, either - they gave me a terrible case of the hiccups - every time! Even when I was no longer sick, I just couldn't touch soda.

I should start my own thread, but I haven't ever started a thread before... I just found out that I'm pregnant. This will be baby #5 for us, which is exciting, but I have been terribly sick with the other 4 pregnancies. I was never diagnosed as HG, but I lost at least 15 pounds/baby in the first trimester and was sick sick sick. If the pattern holds true, I have about a week and a half before I start vomiting. I'm already feeling a little queazy.

Any advice on what I should do now to get ready?

I know I should know this stuff, but it's been a long time. Our youngest is 9 years old and our oldest is 18...

I've been thinking I should do a big shopping trip and make up some freezer meals. I've also been thinking we should tell people sooner rather than later, because I'm afraid in a couple of weeks I likely won't be able to smile or act excited, you know?

I'm a little scared...

Thanks!

wendy

I've been following your HG story and I'm sorry you have been so sick. I'm glad you are feeling better, but that nasty syrup stuff is gross! Gag! I couldn't drink carbonated drinks while pregnant, either - they gave me a terrible case of the hiccups - every time! Even when I was no longer sick, I just couldn't touch soda.

I should start my own thread, but I haven't ever started a thread before... I just found out that I'm pregnant. This will be baby #5 for us, which is exciting, but I have been terribly sick with the other 4 pregnancies. I was never diagnosed as HG, but I lost at least 15 pounds/baby in the first trimester and was sick sick sick. If the pattern holds true, I have about a week and a half before I start vomiting. I'm already feeling a little queazy.

Any advice on what I should do now to get ready?

I know I should know this stuff, but it's been a long time. Our youngest is 9 years old and our oldest is 18...

I've been thinking I should do a big shopping trip and make up some freezer meals. I've also been thinking we should tell people sooner rather than later, because I'm afraid in a couple of weeks I likely won't be able to smile or act excited, you know?

I'm a little scared...

Thanks!

wendy

I will PM you in a little bit. I have a few things I have to get done, but I definitely have some insight!