Menu

Right Brain Phonics Program By: Dianne Craft

Guest researchedmine

Guest researchedmine

I am wondering if anyone has used the Right Brain Phonics Pragram By: Dianne Craft. It is a bit pricey and can not find many reviews. I will be using with my 7 yr old daughter. We are completely frustrated with Phonics Pathways. We are about 3/4 of the way through it. It has worked really well to strengthen reading skills. She just does not like doing it and really never has. She LOVES reading anything and everything EXCEPT that. My hope is that she will find this program a little more easy going. I was thinking of taking the Phoncs Pathway's word and typing them how Dianne Craft has them in her book with the 2 letter sound in a different color and drawing a puicture to along with the sound. I am not sure if this would just be too much work though! Any reviews and advice!

I am wondering if anyone has used the Right Brain Phonics Pragram By: Dianne Craft. It is a bit pricey and can not find many reviews. I will be using with my 7 yr old daughter. We are completely frustrated with Phonics Pathways. We are about 3/4 of the way through it. It has worked really well to strengthen reading skills. She just does not like doing it and really never has. She LOVES reading anything and everything EXCEPT that. My hope is that she will find this program a little more easy going. I was thinking of taking the Phoncs Pathway's word and typing them how Dianne Craft has them in her book with the 2 letter sound in a different color and drawing a puicture to along with the sound. I am not sure if this would just be too much work though! Any reviews and advice!

Is there a reason you think she needs a right brained book? Sounds like she's already reading pretty well. I had Right Brained Phonics for a little while and then sold it. I just did not get it at all. If you've seen any samples pages at all...maybe a few pages with lists down the page written in black and red letters...well, that's basically the entire book. It's not a very big book, and all it is is basically a list of words or sentences. There's no instruction. I'd look at it and my eyes would glaze over or I'd be like, "what in the world? I don't get this at all..." But, then again...I'm not right brained. As for the picture cards. The only difference between those and any other cards with the phonograms and a picture (A with an apple), is that the letters are in red and they are written on the picture. But, there has also been research to not teach a picture in isolation with a letter sound...because it's just an extra step for them to have to think about. You want them to remember A says /a/ and not A, apple, /a/. I don't know....I'm sure I used pictures with letters when the kids were small though. Have you looked at Zoom Reading Strategy? I haven't gotten too far in it yet with my dd to give much of a review, but I would recommend Zoom over Right Brained Phonics (unless you are sure your child is right brained....but even then..... ). If you need more samples to look at than what are at her website, you can e-mail Mary and she'll probably send you some (I think she sent me over 100 pages from her various books). She's really a wonderfully helpful person. She's a reading teacher, so I suggest contacting her, explain your situation, and see what she has to recommend.

Guest researchedmine

Thanks for the replies. I have decided not to get the book right now. After thinking about what was said by the poster:

"Is there a reason you think she needs a right brained book? Sounds like she's already reading pretty well."

I realized yeah, she is really reading pretty well. To spend the money on another program when she only has a few more phonics rules to go is silly. I also do not know if she is right brained or not. I think she might be, but it is one of those things that are not for sure so young. So, who knows if it would even be a good fit for HER. I am right brained so Dianne Crafts' stuff totally makes sense to me. :)

I am going to take the Phonics Pathways and do it in smaller chunks. Maybe do 1/3 of a page rather than the whole page a day. I think I may even type them out on a page with the letters highlighted how they are in Dianne Craft's curriculum.

Thanks again for your replies!