Menu

Combing Beast Academy and Hands-On Equations? MEP?

Heather R

Hello!

My third grade daughter has been using Beast Academy as her primary math this year, and it is working so well for her. We are almost done 3B and are waiting to order 3C and 3D at the same time to save on shipping costs. We may not finish 3D before the end of this school year, depending when we receive 3C & 3D.

I'm thinking ahead to next year, and wondering what we will do if/when 4A/4B aren't available when we would like to use them (especially since being in Canada, ordering one at a time is SOOOOO expensive). I wondered about starting the year by finishing 3D and then going on to Hand-On Equations, waiting to begin Beast 4A when 4B becomes available (again, waiting to order two levels at once).

Any thoughts on how Hands-On Equations fits together with Beast? I don't want to introduce HOE if it will conflict with the discovery method of BA.

Or, if we were to switch to MEP for grade 4, which level would be appropriate? (Assume we finish BA 3D) Would it be MEP 4? Or 5?

Oh, why did we have to fall in love with a program that isn't fully available yet?!? haha

Thanks!

Heather

• 1 month later...

Beast level 4 is "supposed" to be available this summer. I think AoPS has stayed pretty close to their announced release dates- correct me if I'm wrong?

Hands-on equations would be a good "place holder" if BA is working for you. MEP might work okay. Coming from BA, I think your dd would do fine. I would look at the year 4 material, or even some of the year 7 material, which is less spiral-y, and has games, but is sort of a pre-pre algebra year for those who never used MEP before.

Or, if we were to switch to MEP for grade 4, which level would be appropriate? (Assume we finish BA 3D) Would it be MEP 4? Or 5?

I would say probably 4. I did a good chunk of MEP 3 before BA 3A and B. Despite what people say, MEP is not "behind" by one year, in my experience. There are some things that are presented earlier. I think the real difference is in Y1, the focus on numbers between 0 and 20. However, multiplication is presented earlier in MEP than in Beast Academy, from what I could tell. There are other examples.

Anyway I would take a look at http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

Specifically the scheme for the whole primary program, and the learning objectives and overview for each year, to get a sense of the progression.

Beast level 4 is "supposed" to be available this summer. I think AoPS has stayed pretty close to their announced release dates- correct me if I'm wrong?

I think 4A will be released this summer, but not the entirety of year 4.