Menu

Kid wants to blow things up, need suggestions!

DS 12 told me he wanted to do chemistry this semester, so we are doing ACS Middle School Chemistry. It's a great program, but it is not what he expected - he wants fizz and bubble and explosions. I would therefore like to supplement ACS with some fun experiments that he and his dad can do together once a week or so.

I don't have the time to shop for the supplies for experiments described in books like Fizz, Bubble and Flash. I need complete materials and instructions to hand to DH and DS and let them rip. If there is text or an online module to provide the formal "science" part, all the better. DS is a great reader.

Thoughts so far:

-PLATO Physical Science is science but no fizz, so that does not make sense given our needs.

-Supercharged Mastery Kits are too much (in terms of time & $) given that we need a supplement, not a full program.

Suggestions? Experiences? Reviews? Warnings? I am in an endless loop of surfing through websites and need to just make a choice!

Thank you for all the thoughts and ideas!

I am thinking we will do physics next year, so I was kind of holding out on Mini Weapons and Backyard Ballistics for then. I would love to find something equally fun/humorous that focuses on chemical reactions rather than physical ones!

Thames & Kosmos does look good but it's rather serious-minded. Any kits out there with more of a mad-scientist vibe, to complement our more substantive texts?

I recommend The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science and The Book of Potentially Catastrophic Science. Perfect titles for your mad scientist, and the content is good too. I would give him a big box with all necessary supplies and stand back. :D

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Totally-Irresponsible-Science/dp/076115020X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1L3BJ0UCBCU9&coliid=IW0V5TY3PQLBI

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Potentially-Catastrophic-Science/dp/0761156879/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1L3BJ0UCBCU9&coliid=I2YBM9RZBTMK4U

ETA: Sorry, I forgot you didn't want to shop for supplies. Could he and dad do it? I really think it would be worth it, but then I am constantly shopping for new science supplies, it seems. :lol: