Menu

How long is the right length for a BIG vacation?

Karen in CO

I'm planning to take the family to Rome as a graduation present for my ds. I'm having a hard time figuring out the ideal length of stay. How long is "long enough" to feel like you went on a vacation and didn't have to rush around? I'm trying to have the vacation short enough that I can afford to not worry too much about the cost of everything but long enough that the kids and I can really relax as well as enjoy all the sights.

For your answer, I would say 2 weeks. For our family overall, we've enjoyed vacations where we've been gone from 4 weeks to 2 months... but then again, we could live on vacation. In my "next life," I want Jan to March to be vacation months where we can head tropical - then return to our normal life.

We've found any vacation that was 1 week or less left us more rushed than we would like - especially if it required a bit of time just to get to the vacation spot (by flight or car or whatever).

That depends a lot on the ages of the kids, on their personality, and on the destination. Oh, and on the way you approach things.

I personally am done in a city after four days and can stand it for up to six days - after that, I have no desire or energy to see any more museums, churches, sights. But we are very intense when we travel and fit many things efficiently into each day. After that, we need time to process. Some people may prefer to spend a long time and do few things each day.

My DD loves cities. My DS is done after two days. OTOH, we can happily spend several weeks in the wilderness.

So, it will depend a lot on your family what will be the right length.

That depends a lot on the ages of the kids, on their personality, and on the destination. Oh, and on the way you approach things.

I personally am done in a city after four days and can stand it for up to six days - after that, I have no desire or energy to see any more museums, churches, sights. But we are very intense when we travel and fit many things efficiently into each day. After that, we need time to process. Some people may prefer to spend a long time and do few things each day.

My DD loves cities. My DS is done after two days. OTOH, we can happily spend several weeks in the wilderness.

So, it will depend a lot on your family what will be the right length.

This is true... In a city we'd be done after a few days at most, but then I'd be wanting to see the countryside and other sights on the same vacation rather than just returning home. At most national park types of places I could easily spend a few weeks doing different hikes and things.

In general between 12 days and 3 weeks makes a good vacation for our family. We don't often get it, but if going overseas we prefer at least 2 weeks, since that gives time for travel, recovery from jet lag and time to take it easy for a few days rather then rush rush rush. I would plan on at least 10 days with travel for somewhere like Rome, especially if you are going anywhere else in Italy.

Thanks - My ideal vacation is to the wilderness or to the beach. This will be the first time I've ever planned a city as a destination for a vacation. I travel to cities for work not to relax. Knowing my kids, they can really only take in one big museum or thing in a day. My youngest has the attention span of a butterfly but loves cathedrals. The middle would spend an entire day in one wing of any kind of museum. My ds wants culture and food (he loves to cook and has a talent for languages). His girlfriend is an artist. My dh doesn't like "old things." And we're taking my mother who tires easily. At our pace, I think that no matter how long we stay, there will be more to explore.

So far, we are planning day trips to Hadrian's villa and maybe Ostia.

I would plan on about 2 weeks. I would rent an apartment/holiday house in 2 locations. One very convenient to Rome and the other along the coast. That way you have a base where you can spread out a bit and easily eat yummy baked goods etc from markets.

It always takes me about three days to really recover from jet lag going east. I would want a few extra days for recovery.

If you haven't watch Rick Steve's travel videos for Rome and Italy. They are really helpful.

Thanks ladies - It looks like 7-10 is the low end and 3 weeks is the high end. I'll plan for 10-12 days which will give me a full week minus travel time and time for jet lag. Now I need to see how many vacation days I have left and find a place a stay and 7 plane tickets from 3 differnt points of departure. :D

I would plan on about 2 weeks. I would rent an apartment/holiday house in 2 locations. One very convenient to Rome and the other along the coast. That way you have a base where you can spread out a bit and easily eat yummy baked goods etc from markets.

This sounds good to me, based on the way my family likes to travel.

We don't like to rush around trying to see every "important" sight on a trip. I always set the expectation that we will not see everything. We try to research beforehand to pick out the most important places/events/sights and leave time for just wandering around or for new discoveries.

I've never been to Rome, or anywhere in Italy for that matter! But, I think you can do and see a lot in one full week in one city, which -- adding on two days of travel, would be 9 days total. Others have mentioned some day trips you can do, and you can either add those days on, or -- if you get tired of museums and sightseeing after just a few days -- you can include in the week-long stay. I think the longest we've ever stayed in a city is 6 days, and that was long enough to see all the main landmarks and historical sites as well as feel like we got to know the city and feel comfortable in our neighborhood.

I feel like a week is optimum to see everything without getting bored, but I'm thinking of US destinations. If I went to Rome, I'd branch out some and visit other places, so probably 10 days-2 weeks. When we went to London to visit ds, we pretty much stayed right there for a week and didn't go anywhere else. At the time it was fine, but if I had it to do over again, I think I'd lengthen the stay and expand our itinerary. Btw, what a wonderful gift you are giving!