Menu

Has anyone done TurboTax online?

kalanamak

Vanguard has a low price esp. if you do it online.

I've always done my taxes with paper, pencil, and a calculator.

I have a Mac.

Do I have only that one session to crack the whole thing? Can I go back and pick up where I left off?

Am I going to be pulling my hair?

Does the Mac program work?

Can I print out the results and mail it in or do I HAVE to e-file (I have complicated cost basis calculations because my mother died on a day with the market was closed for a holiday.)

We've been using TT online for years, and you can spread it out over as many sessions as you need. I just did a chunk this afternoon, but we don't have all the info yet so I saved the unfinished return.

ETA: You can either e-file or mail in a hard copy. E-file will get you your refund processed faster, but it's totally optional.

I usually use that or H&R Block online. It's pretty easy, you can save it as you go, and go back and adjust things as you get more information (for example I've estimated our income from our last pay stub but will go back when we get our W2s and adjust the numbers). You don't have to e-file, but it's really easy if you go that route and if you have to pay or get a refund, it's very simple to input the information.

I think I used TT a few years ago, but for the past couple of years, I've used H&R Block's TaxCut online. The free version works for us, and it's really easy to use. The only thing that's a pain is that unless you want to pay $20, you can't import all the data from the previous year, but it only took me a few extra seconds to enter all the stuff in.

The free version only works if you have a very simple return. If you itemize, have any investment accounts, and/or may be subject to the AMT, you can't use the free TT. Last year we had to pay for the home & business version because my DH had some consulting income, but this year we're hoping to only need the Premier version.

I have used tax slayer for at least 7 years. You should go to IRS.gov to see if you qualify for free file, I think this year if you make less than 55,000 you qualify. I do ours, my mom's and both of my brothers :) oh and I do believe turbo tax is one of the companies you can use for free file

I've used it for years - and before there was a Turbo Tax online, I just used Turbo Tax, buying the program at the office store ;-) - yes, you can come back and work on it later, its easy. I freelance from home, so I use the home and business version, and have for at least 13 years....since I started my freelance business.

I have used tax slayer for at least 7 years. You should go to IRS.gov to see if you qualify for free file, I think this year if you make less than 55,000 you qualify. I do ours, my mom's and both of my brothers :) oh and I do believe turbo tax is one of the companies you can use for free file

It's $57,000 this year. But anyone can free file using the IRS fillable forms starting Jan 30.

My sister uses TurboTax online.

I've been doing our taxes for several years using the free TaxAct online software. We do have a complicated return (not self-employment though) and I've been able to handle everything with the free version. Our state has free efile so I just take the numbers from TaxAct and plug them in on our state site.

I use the iPad, btw. I take several days to do the taxes, going back into the software, not because it's hard but because I need absolute quiet to do taxes and well, that's hard to find!

My mom uses TT online all the time. I've always used H&R block, it used to be Tax cut, now it's just called H&R block at home. A tip to the military folks out there. You can file for free with H&R block at home no matter if you have a simple or complex return if you go through the link at www.militaryonesource.com You do have to sign up with military one source, but it's free and there is lots of other info there too. We've done it this way for years and never had any issues.

TaxACT permits efiling any Form the I.R.S. permits to be eFiled, free, for Federal returns. For a state return, it is about $9 extra. Their most Deluxe package (includes a state return) is $17.95, for the Online version.

I used the Free Federal version of TaxACT, for my 2010 and 2011 returns. This year, I am probably going to pay for the Deluxe edition, so I can Import my data from the 2011 return, export to PDF files, etc.

GL with whatever company you use! The Software makes it a lot easier and you will explore things you might not have thought of, with their Wizards.

I've used TT online for years. Frankly not sure why one would purchase the disc version since that would only be good for that one year, as tax laws can change each year. We do the paid version, because we don't use the 1040EZ due to having our LLC, so writing off business expenses.

You can access your TT online account from any computer, including Mac. I've switch back and forth from our PC laptop, and my desktop Mac, just depending on where I am sitting at the moment. I usually take about a month from start to finish to due the taxes, as I'll get started but wait for any other forms to roll in until mid-Feb or so. And then sometimes I've got to wait to actually pay, as the version we have to use for business is about $100, so gotta wait for a paycheck that I can squeeze that extra out. So yes, you can do it over multiple sessions. And keep in mind, you don't pay until you are actually ready to submit and file, so you could go through the process of doing the taxes with Turbo Tax online and see how you feel about it, see if you think it was easy enough, explained enough, covered your bases etc...and even do the same at the H&R Block website, to compare the results between the two, and then choose which you prefer, PAY and then submit.

We are self employed and have complicated taxes, but TT is SO easy to use that I stopped using an accountant. We have to use the home and business one, so we pay but it much cheaper then an accountant. And you can pick up where you left off, change things around if you need to. And it walks you through it step by step. Love it. And, it imports everything from last year. Highly recommend it.