Menu

An Arachnophobes Worst Nightmare

Jean in Newcastle

OK - not the worst nightmare. Let's not go there, ok?

This morning I dragged myself into the bathroom and stepped into the shower. As the water woke me up, I thought, I wonder what I'm stepping on? I had stepped on a spider! Not a gargantuan one but not microscopic either. This is one time when I was glad of my plus size squishing power. It has been hours and I'm still squicked out by it.

Ew ew ew ew ewwwwwww! :scared:

:iagree: I'm still freaked out by the time I went to do a load of laundry, turned the water on, and this big tarantula started climbing up the inside of the washer!! :w00t: It took me weeks before I would do a load. That was months ago!

Ewwwwww....okay, here's a bad story... My poor youngest son started screaming and hopping around one day. I jumped up and looked over, and he had stepped on a scorpion, which was stuck in the bottom of his foot and dangling from it. (thud) It was horrifying to see, and it wasn't even stuck to my foot, hanging there by its stinger. He managed to shake it off and it ran under the couch. So dh and I had to pick up the couch to move it off the darn thing so we could smash it. Ewwwww.... (So it really could have been worse, Jean. :D )

I have a story to beat that! I sleep in my workout bras. I am just that weird. I hate being without a bra and I am not what you would call blessed in that area lol! Anyway, I woke up one morning with a HORRIBLE burning on the left side. Went into the bathroom took of my top and bra when I felt something on my neck...it was a spider! It had bitten my left breast then got caught in my hair when I tried to take off my bra!

I have a story to beat that! I sleep in my workout bras. I am just that weird. I hate being without a bra and I am not what you would call blessed in that area lol! Anyway, I woke up one morning with a HORRIBLE burning on the left side. Went into the bathroom took of my top and bra when I felt something on my neck...it was a spider! It had bitten my left breast then got caught in my hair when I tried to take off my bra!

Have you ever stepped on a spider and like 4647651434841141 microscopic baby spiders exploded everywhere? Yeah that happened to me once. Luckily it was outdoors. :leaving:

I've had it happen twice, once was in my basement, another time (different house) It was in the garage. I hate spider, I know they serve a purpose but their only purpose in my house is to die.

Have you ever stepped on a spider and like 4647651434841141 microscopic baby spiders exploded everywhere? Yeah that happened to me once. Luckily it was outdoors. :leaving:

My oldest daughter was pettsitting this summer and the people have a pool. There was one of those float things you can lay on, leaning by the pool wall. She grabbed it and was floating in the pool. She glanced down and saw something brown on her stomach so she flicked it off and tiny spiders started crawling all over her. She screamed, dove into the water and then into the house for a hot shower. I would have died.

Oh that's awful and icky. Reading it gives me shivers.

I found a nest of brown recluses in our old house. The extension agent and then pest people and an expert on recluses verified. The pest guy kept his sample as he thought it was cool (ick). I found them while I was pregnant with my boys and I kept having nightmares of recluses biting my newborn babies. They never bit anyone--human or pet. My worst experience was sitting on the couch cuddled up in a blanket and one crawled right next to my face. Second to that was finding one in the toy box after we had been on vacation.

You can't spray for spiders but we set glue traps everywhere. I even had all the beds and dresser legs on glue traps for a while. Over the the years we got them all with those traps. At first we caught a ton. I didn't see or trap even one for the next 6 years nor did I find any packing. But it freaked me out for a few years.

Guest inoubliable

Ick! I was reading this thread to my DH (to show that we talk about things other than curricula and brands of colored pencils, you know) and he said, "Ooh! Tell them about the time the yellow sack spiders invaded!!"

So now I shall regale you with our tale of heroism.

It's late at night. After midnight. DH and I are cuddled up in bed, watching a movie. All the lights are off in the house and the movie ends. I'm feeling a tad thirsty. DH says, "Get it yourself". Karma takes about three minutes to kick in. I get up, get a drink, come back. The DVD player has turned off but the TV is still on. So there's a gentle, soft blue glow in the bedroom. I slide into the bed. Reach over for the remote. And notice something tiny moving on DH's shoulder. I slide closer. Get my face down close (my glasses were off at this point).

It's a baby spider.

I swat DH's shoulder. He rolls over.

And. Then. We. See.

All over the bedroom. Coming down from the ceiling. Zillions and zillions of baby spiders. Descending while bathed in the soft blue glow of the TV. It was like a really bad low budget horror film.

Okay. There was no heroism. Just screaming, camping out in DS' room, and lights on all night. And then a phone call to pest control in the morning.

Yellow sack spiders. *shudder*

I did this about 8 weeks ago! I got in the shower, then felt something under my toe. I looked down, and just saw 2 black pincer things - 1 either side of my toe! I freaked, thinking it was a spider, and frantically standing on one foot, tried to fling the thing off my other foot. In slow motion, I see my foot I was standing on twist grotesquely on the slippery floor, and excruciating pain! It completely made me forget the 'spider', (which was actually an earwig). My poor girls came running when they heard me screaming the house down, and helped me out, and took me to hospital. I severely strained my ankle, and it's only just now getting back to normal! So I can sympathise, and I'm very glad you didn't injure yourself!

My mom woke up one night screaming ( I was like 6 years old) and we all ran in their room. My dad finally figured out she was pointing to her ear and there was a scorpion hanging off of it. :svengo: He killed it but I was seriously afraid to sleep for months. I still to this day cannot handle seeing a scorpion. If I saw even one in my house, I would move.

We have pantry moths.

We get rid of them. They come back. So I don't mind the few Daddy Long Legs there as non-poison control.

But then there were more

and more.

Until I found DD was bringing them carefully in each time she found one outside as a gift for me.

Um, we've got enough now thanks.

She's my ant whisperer, always picks up ants,lets them crawl over her, checks them out and lets them go.

Green ants, bull ants, inch ants, doesn't care.

We don't mind some spiders, including big brown hairy huntsmen. But last time we were up at the farm, we got to the caravan late and dark, dd went straight to bed to sleep, I unpacked the car and then when I went to bed there was a large (not huge) huntsman on my side of the bed, so I had to wake her and carefully wrap it. Then I didn't fancy flicking a bedspread with live spider out in the wind, on the hill, in the dark, in my undies and not knowing where it would flick.

So I dumped the bedcover on the car bonnet and dealt with it in the morning. Spider safely gone.

Last year I was putting my ds6 to bed and we were getting ready to read a book. He laid his head down on his pillow and as he did I saw a red thing and not a second later he started crying. I yelled out to my dh that ds was bitten by a spider with red on it. He comes running back and we realize that it was a wheel bug -- also known as a nymph assassin bug. That thing apparently has a very painful sting but he was quick to heal.

I will say that since then we haven't put any laundry outside to dry without making sure that there is nothing that comes into the house that isn't supposed to come inside.

We don't mind some spiders, including big brown hairy huntsmen. But last time we were up at the farm, we got to the caravan late and dark, dd went straight to bed to sleep, I unpacked the car and then when I went to bed there was a large (not huge) huntsman on my side of the bed, so I had to wake her and carefully wrap it. Then I didn't fancy flicking a bedspread with live spider out in the wind, on the hill, in the dark, in my undies and not knowing where it would flick.

So I dumped the bedcover on the car bonnet and dealt with it in the morning. Spider safely gone.

There aren't huntsman spiders in America so no one here will be properly horrified by this, but I am cringing. The first time I saw a big huntsman was soon after we'd moved here, it was on the wall, I was pregnant, hormonal, homesick, etc. and I screamed and screamed and dissolved into tears. I was a mess. The first time I was home by myself and had one in the house I had to call my FIL to come get it. Everytime I tell someone my stories they just laugh because those spiders are just part of life here. One person said to me 'Don't you have spiders in America?' Um, not that big, not where I've lived. I'd never seen one that big in my life except at the zoo! I'm desensitized now. But finding one in my bed would put me over the edge!

I refuse to have a real Christmas tree anymore because the last year we had one (oh, about 16 years ago), the warm inside of the house helped a spider nest inside the tree hatch and we had tiny baby spiders all over the living room. I spent days vacuuming them from walls, floors, and ceilings.