Menu

finding hard time to find time to be with PreK

happycc

I just had a baby but even before this one was born I had hard time find time to spend with the 3.5 yrs old. My older kids require a lot of attention to keep them moving forward while my 3.5yrs old is just learning all on his own. He caught me by surprise this week when he started counting by 10's. This gave me the clue that he needed me to start him on Right Start A asap. He is recognizing letters and writing them. No reading yet. But pretty much on the verge if I worked with him daily so what should do?

How do I fold him in our schedule?

Perhaps give him time first thing in the morning? Also it is somewhat challenging him to get him to focus as he just wants to direct everything to spiderman theme.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. I have just the 5 and 3 yo, new baby coming, and I'm not planning anything for the 3yo. He's also picking up letters and counting, patterns and other concepts. If it weren't for the baby coming, I'd probably be planning something more for him too pretty soon. But until I know what our new little one is going to entail, he sits in on whatever he wants, occasionally we spend a few moments with some pattern blocks, about 3 workbook or kumon cutting. unless your lo is clammering for school and ready to focus, I'd leave it. Whatever you struggle to teach now (thinking of all the needs you're balancing, his age and focus) he will pick up twice as fast in a Year or two when your newest will have a more predictable schedule. And if he's learning by 'osmosis' why mess with it? :-)

If you're really determined I agree, first thing is probably a great idea. Everyone's at their best and it's done. Another option is to solicit the help of your older kids. Would the 10, 14 or 15 year old be capable, interested and available to work with the 3yo? Maybe they could hold the baby or or do FLL with the eight year old? Take over some daily chore that would give you 15 minutes with 3 yo?

yes the 10yrs and 9yrs old help a lot. The teens are all in school and doing other things. The 10 yrs old have their own schoolwork to do and keeping them on task is like pulling teeth for me. I guess when I finally have alone time with 3.5yrs old the last thing I want to do is read The Foot Book or the Pout Pout fish the millionth time. :cursing: But a las that is being a parent to a lot of kids. You find yourself playing the lead character in the Ground Hog Day.

I saw Flowering Baby for the 3yo in your siggie -- are you having time to do this with him each day?

Perhaps that if you can find 15" or so to just play with him each day, that might be best-spent time? but you know your own situation. One gentle, and free, idea would be to use Brightly Beaming Baby's Sound or Story of the Week ideas (this is a work in progress, so there are not the same level of detail in the plans for all levels/days, but it is a simple place to start). If he doesn't want to focus long, perhaps just do something for a couple of minutes and work up to 5 or 10 minutes?

but I do not have a large family, and this perspective may be useless ...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi...yes we were using Flowering Baby Curriculum. However my 3.5yrs old needed something more multisensory I guess. I got Get Set for School by Handwriting Without Tears for him and he is obsessed with Mat Man right now. It has gotten him to calm down a lot and happier as well. Less tantrums. I really had to map out some individual time with him and that really has helped with the crazy behavior. It is special mom and me time for him.

I just feel spread thin right now with making sure each of the older kids get their academics done and getting ready for STAR testing and now adding his emotional needs of needing more attention from me plus the newborn baby needing to nurse, cuddles, burping and changing.

If he's learning on his own, why would you NEED to start him on RS A now? He seems to be doing fine without it. ;)

If he wants to do school, let him, but if he doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it. My 3 year old learns all kinds of things without me teaching him. My oldest was the same way. He started K already reading and doing first grade level math. I hadn't taught him those things on purpose. We did no preschool. He actually resisted anything that looked like school at age 4 and under.

Now as far as attention goes, I do "school" with my 3 year old first. This might be a reading lesson, if he wants one, or it might just be reading a book to him. I spend maybe 10 minutes with him, and he's happy for the day.

My 3yo begs for school most days. She does the Core Knowledge preK book and I have to limit her on the number of pages she can do. If I make a concentrated effort to read books geared for her for even just 10 minutes in the morning, she's happy to watch her little brother play the iPad...er play with the toddler... ;) for another hour or so in the morning.