Menu

Has anyone use HOD Little Hearts for His Glory

miracleone

I started it for kinder last fall.

I found that my 5 year old wasn't ready for the history readings (had no concept of time or space at the time) or the longer {boring} reddy fox readings either.

It would probably work well for her now at almost 6. although some of the rhymes and activities are babyish...

I've heard the guides get better as you go along.

It did not work for us at all. I needed something a little less rigid.

**reddy fox was not well suited for a girly girl like my dd and HOD provides no alternative. :( she loves sonlight p4/5 which has older style writing like reddy fox but is more gender neutral reading...reddy fox is boyish, IMO and Uncle Wiggly from sonlight is neutral.

Yes I used it for my older dd for K and will be using it again for my younger next fall for her K year. I like the program and it worked well for us. I started it with dd before she turned 5 and she took a bit to warm up to the Burgess books. By the end of the year she loved them and wanted more. For her it was just an age maturity issue. I won't start my younger two kids that early.

We used it for both DD8 and DS6 for their kindy years, starting at 4.5. DD wasn't too into the Burgess books at first but ended up loving them. DS LOVED them from day 1. I was really pleased with LHFHG, and I think it's a great program especially for a new homeschooling mom. It's a complete, fun kindy year focused on Biblical and U.S. History.

I used it with my oldest at 4.5. She loved all the Reddy Fox series books, even being a very girly girl, but she was used to longer chapter books like The Borrowers, so she easily got involved with the characters. We absolutely loved it! And we've since continued with HOD and she is now in Preparing.

I am doing LHFHG now with my almost 5 year old dd and just turned 7 year old ds, and they both are thriving with it. The readings are just the right length, and they introduce fantastic skills for the kids, even including gross motor skills in the memory verse and rhyme sections. I personally think the rhymes are age appropriate, and all of my kids enjoy doing them together (yes, the 9 year old even joins us sometimes). It is thorough but it is a great length--perfect for my wiggly little ones. We are able to get through in about 1 hour, and I don't feel it's too light. We do add IEW's PAL to it, though.

I used it with 5 and 7 yr. old boys, and they loved the readings. Some of the activities may have been a little young for my 7 yr. old but we made it work. For my young 5 yo daughter I am using MFW K this year, and undecided when or if we will use LHFHG.

I used it with 5 and 7 yr. old boys, and they loved the readings. Some of the activities may have been a little young for my 7 yr. old but we made it work. For my young 5 yo daughter I am using MFW K this year, and undecided when or if we will use LHFHG.

we are usimg MFW K npw as well. We started when DD was 4 1/2. She will be almost 5 1/2 when we start Little Hearts.

Thanks for the tip!! I was planning to use LHFHG after MFW K, but I may take a second look at MFW 1st. I used it with one of my older boys in the past and didn't think I would ever use it again, but they have revamped it a bit. I love the changes in MFW K and so I may also like what they have done with MFW 1st. I may also use parts of both MFW 1st and LHFHG together, or use one and then the other. So hard to decide. She has a September bday so I don't mind lingering in this stage a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

We are using lhfhg and it is great! My dd loves the burgess books and I don't think they are boyish at all. They are about animals... They are actually my very girly-girl's favorite part of the curriculum. I originally started her at 4.5 and did it for a few weeks...then was scared that the read alouds were too advanced, so I waited a year and started her at 5.5. Looking back I could have totally kept her in it. As we read other read alouds, her ability to listen, narrate, etc. got much better. Now I would simply advise others to read a few chapter books with their kids prior to lhfhg so that the kids get used to non-picture books.

That being said, this year is going great and she is loving the year. I think she is getting a LOT more out of the devotional book than she would have last year and it seems more advanced in concept than the burgess books. I think it is a fabulous program. I don't think the rhymes are babyish. I think many kids will get into them if their parents do. However, I don't really like the rhymes that don't have a song to go with them. If we don't like it, we skip it. No big deal. I think the overall program has so many strengths otherwise that it's ok to not LOVE everything. Science is a little light for a science loving kid, but science doesn't have to be deep at 5... and you can easily add to it by simply reading some books from the library. For me, the strength of HOD is in its ability to teach bible/history/science in a way that is constantly bringing focus back to God.