Menu

A pastor's criticism of homeschoolers

warmthnstrength

I'm curious to hear some reactions, particularly from conservative Christian women, to the following criticisms of homeschooling found on a pastor's website. The comments underneath are mostly "We homeschool, and actually these ARE the major problems with it." Agree? And how do you avoid these pitfalls in your home?

Quote 1: http://baylyblog.com...tle-schoolhouse

"The conservative Christian, however, tends to be more captivated by the Sirens over yonder, on the other side of the trail. He wanders off that way to avoid the Government School and Mainstream Christian Schools along with their pitfalls and spiritual landmines and lameness, but he fails to regard the traps concealed in the Home School. (He forgets that hearts deceitful above all things and desperately wicked populate the home as well as McKinley Elementary School.) The most significant trap is as big as the broad side of a barn. Much bigger actually. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fortress Home School. The idolatry of the Fortress is more difficult to identify because Hugh Heffner and Big Brother arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t superintending the classrooms. Mom is the superintendent, and she bakes apple pies and chocolate chip cookies. And she happens to be very beautiful.

What are the dangers? One danger is that the children themselves become idols and the exclusive recipients of the motherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ministry outside the church (and in some cases, the exclusive recipients, period). The children, in turn, fail to learn that the home should be a place of extending the mercy of Jesus Christ to the weak and oppressed. Instead, they are taught that the home is not the place to practice hospitality to strangers, clothe the naked, feed the poor, or wash the feet of the saints. Who has the time or energy for that?

Another danger is that parents come to think that they are the exclusive repositories of all wisdom that concerns the education of their children. Or they become unwilling to make any accommodations toward a common effort in training the children of others and their own.

Another danger is the lack of manly training, accountability, and challenges for older boys during much of the day. While fathers of past generations were able to work with their sons during certain seasons of the year or times of the day, modern socioeconomic realities and divisions of labor simply wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t permit it. So even in earlier eras in which the home school predominated and even if the mother bore most of the responsibility for what we would today call academic instruction, the father was relatively close to home and could discipline and teach and push his sons to work hard. In Fortress Home School, the mother contends with her older boys. No matter who prevails, this contest has no winners. The mother risks overpowering her son or ending every day in frustration and bitterness."

He's actually got a couple of good points. I've known Moms who make idols of their children, but they are rare. It can happen.

I've also known Moms that keep their sons at home all the time and that does lead to resentment. I agree that they need to be engaging a good deal with other adults- especially men, by the time they are 11 or so. I've farmed out some classes most years, and made sure my son is on sports teams and other activities.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, he used the term incorrectly. MW has a nice definition. It means ":success; especially: material or worldly success". Adding success to the end of the word makes it redundant. According to MW, it was used first in 1909.

I guess I should have read all the posts before I asked what that was.

I am c/p from MW for a funny:

Rhymes with BITCH GODDESS

sun goddess

I bet they were public schooled.

The first issue the pastor addressed sounds very familiar to me.

The first set of kids that I homeschooled was very much like that. I hate to say it. They are very very self centered. My life revolved around them and educating them and taking them to their classes and such. It was all about them. When I became a single mom this was very hard for them. They really started to hate their life as it was no longer focused on their only needs. I had to go to work and school and they had to do more for themselves and they resented me for that. Still do. To this day, my two younger teens would never go and babysit or work or volunteer for anyone. It is all about them. My older one I can say at this point works two jobs while going to school. He also went down to Mexico to help build houses for people.

With this second set of kids I am doing things more differently. I am making them do their chores every morning. No ifs ands or but. If we need to purchase something I give them choices. They can buy the cheaper one that they don;t necessarily like or they can get the more expensive one but they have to pay for the difference with the money they have saved from losing their teeth or whatever. In addition I have them write thank you letters to our church, people at our church, to our neighbors, friends or find some way to help or give back to them. I just make them more aware of ways they can help or change things for the better. I would like our family to start going to older people's homes in our church and those in the hospital and spending time with them and helping them more. I want them to be more appreciative of what they have.

The second issue about the fathers not teaching the kids skills or something like is not what we experienced as a result of homeschooling. It was an issue because of who my ex husband is which is basically a couch potato himself.

In general though these two issues are not a result of homeschooling ---it is really about basic parenting and how one parents. Those very kids who are self centered also are going to school and I saw a lot of their friends who went to school all their life and the word is SELFISH!!!

What are the dangers? One danger is that the children themselves become idols and the exclusive recipients of the motherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ministry outside the church (and in some cases, the exclusive recipients, period).

Another danger is the lack of manly training, accountability, and challenges for older boys during much of the day. While fathers of past generations were able to work with their sons during certain seasons of the year or times of the day, modern socioeconomic realities and divisions of labor simply wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t permit it. So even in earlier eras in which the home school predominated and even if the mother bore most of the responsibility for what we would today call academic instruction, the father was relatively close to home and could discipline and teach and push his sons to work hard. In Fortress Home School, the mother contends with her older boys. No matter who prevails, this contest has no winners. The mother risks overpowering her son or ending every day in frustration and bitterness."

Didn't there used to be a time when children were valued and exclusive ministry to your own children was seen as a good and worthy goal? I have been struggling with this very thing lately. I've felt worthless and pointless. I'm devoting my time and energies into educating my children and caring for my 13 year old with special needs. Yes, we are keeping them away from the public school, but that is not a bad thing. In fact, to make public school work for our children would require MORE of my time - not less. My friend knows how to work with the public school system and still have her children come out strong Christians. She works hard at it - volunteering, working in the school district, ect. But even she has been reduced to tears by some of the things her children have been exposed to by teachers- yes she can talk to the teacher, but can't undo the innocence her children have lost. When talking to her, I feel like I have very much taken the path of least resistance. The time she spends pouring into her children and undoing the "damage" is so much more than I do on a daily/weekly basis. So, until there are good alternatives out there, I cannot in good faith send my children to a place who's mission (in our liberal town at least) is to reduce Christianity to a fairy tale. As far as my ministry outside of the church? Every time my husband and I try to do more than take care of things at home, we realize quickly the time and energy required put too much strain on us. Our 13 year old takes up any extra energy we have. But, what does God require of us? To follow what He desires for us. To follow HIS path.

I guess I'm just frustrated because I get this type of thing every Sunday also in church - to minister in the community...I'm frustrated with it and feel like being "just" a mother will never be enough. We've bought into the feminist lie that motherhood will never be enough - instead of an outside job to prove our worth, it's an outside ministry. Just because you put a nice Christian ring to it doesn't make it more valid.

As far as older boys go? My plan is to give my sons more and more independence from me as they show themselves responsible. But to expect that they would be in close daily contact with their father who "is relatively close to home", that's a unreasonable goal for most families in today's day and age. My husband would LOVE to be more involved with his children. Unfortunately, in this world, jobs require more time from a sole breadwinner. My husband is gone 12 hours a day commuting and working - and we are considered lucky because we see "so much" of him. I have friends whose husbands spend more time than that at their job and commuting. So yes, it would be ideal to have the father primarily raise their sons. But until the family is valued again in this society, it's just not going to happen. If my husband would get a job that would let him be here more to raise his sons, it would require me to get a job and then my "ministry outside the family" would be lost anyway because I would be working. So, it's a wash.

Beth --who's irritated because I keep smacking up to this very attitude everywhere I go

It sounds like this author is saying that if we are Christians, we should raise our kids to be uneducated, ignorant, and low achieving people.

To help our children become well educated in his point of view is a sin and idol worship.

Becoming well educated and successful so that one can make an impact on the world and accomplish whatever God calls him to do is a high calling in my opinion.

Didn't there used to be a time when children were valued and exclusive ministry to your own children was seen as a good and worthy goal? I have been struggling with this very thing lately. I've felt worthless and pointless. I'm devoting my time and energies into educating my children and caring for my 13 year old with special needs.

Beth --who's irritated because I keep smacking up to this very attitude everywhere I go

:grouphug: :grouphug: I think the goal is healthy loving relationships. Letting kids being selfish brats, while it might be done in the name of "love" at times is not really loving because it results in stunted self-centered kids. But as many have pointed out, this really is a parenting issue and is not a schooling issue. In one sense, parenting issues can become magnified if the homeschooling is of the isolationist variety. But again, as many have pointed out, that is a very small subset of homeschooling families.

Didn't there used to be a time when children were valued and exclusive ministry to your own children was seen as a good and worthy goal?

<snip>

We've bought into the feminist lie that motherhood will never be enough - instead of an outside job to prove our worth, it's an outside ministry. Just because you put a nice Christian ring to it doesn't make it more valid.

I have shaken my head up and down in agreement until I have given myself a neck ache. Yes, yes, YES!!!!! It's about time we STOP letting the world denigrate motherhood just a little bit more and more. It's disgusting when it comes from a Christian perspective who should damn well honor the role of motherhood and the GIFT it is. Fatherhood too. The almighty job is not the goal.

My goal as a mother is to raise my child so that she returns to God in heaven for eternal life. If this pastor doesn't like it, he can get in line and explain that to God when HE arrives.

My thoughts: Give me a break.

He just made a bunch of accusations that might apply to some *specific* families, and instead made it an imaginary issue of homeschooling itself.

His most offensive criticism if the first one, IMO. It's as if he is accusing busy homeschool moms of not doing their part as Christians to tend to the weak (who are her infants and toddlers? The strong and self-sufficient?). As far as not having the time & energy for outside ministry... You know what, some moms (especially homeschooling moms) aren't going to have much time for ministry outside of their family. That's OK. It's called being a part of the Body of Christ. The eye is very important, but we are not all eyes. The foot is very important but we are not all feet. Missionaries are very important but we are not all called to be missionaries. Mothers are very important and if we called to serve our families and it takes up 95% of our time, that is exactly what God wants us to be doing for His Glory. Besides, there are plenty of ways to give to the poor and needy that take very little time (donating money, food, clothes). All Christians have their own responsibilities and all have their own gifts. All find a way to do what they can, some more visibly than others. I find it really annoying when some people tend to make judgements about how much other Christians "do" because they never see them "doing" it publicly. Is the one who works at the food pantry more important than the woman who prayed earnestly for an hour for her friend? Is the one who stands outside of planned parenthood picketing (which is great, of course) more important than the one who sacrifices income every month to support children in other countries? After all, there is no food to give to the poor if there is not someone who is willing to buy it.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; 9 to another faith [d]by the same Spirit, and to anothergifts of [e]healing [f]by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the [g]effecting of [h]miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the [i]distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

12 For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For [j]by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot says, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,Ă¢â‚¬ it is not for this reason [k]any the less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,Ă¢â‚¬ it is not for this reason [l]any the less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired.

A woman's life extends beyond the demands of motherhood. At certain times in life the demands of motherhood will take up all or most of our time. Prior to motherhood and when little ones are grown a woman has more time to be involved in church or other ministries. I think our society and churches in general should place a higher value on motherhood.

Where are the dads in this quote? It seems like dads are off to work and have little time for their kids these days (according to the quote). Are they excused from accusations like this?

"The children, in turn, fail to learn that the home should be a place of extending the mercy of Jesus Christ to the weak and oppressed. Instead, they are taught that the home is not the place to practice hospitality to strangers, clothe the naked, feed the poor, or wash the feet of the saints. Who has the time or energy for that?"

or is the mother solely to blame?

Something isn't right here. I don't know who wrote this, but I think this individual has a very different viewpoint on parenting than I do.

A woman's life extends beyond the demands of motherhood. At certain times in life the demands of motherhood will take up all or most of our time. Prior to motherhood and when little ones are grown a woman has more time to be involved in church or other ministries. I think our society and churches in general should place a higher value on motherhood.

Where are the dads in this quote? It seems like dads are off to work and have little time for their kids these days (according to the quote). Are they excused from accusations like this?

"The children, in turn, fail to learn that the home should be a place of extending the mercy of Jesus Christ to the weak and oppressed. Instead, they are taught that the home is not the place to practice hospitality to strangers, clothe the naked, feed the poor, or wash the feet of the saints. Who has the time or energy for that?"

or is the mother solely to blame?

Something isn't right here. I don't know who wrote this, but I think this individual has a very different viewpoint on parenting than I do.

Shall we go preach at his church and remind him of all of this??

Does his church allow women to preach? :tongue_smilie:

But yes, he'd do well to remember that we're all parts of the Body of Christ and we all can't be and do the same things. There are a bunch of posts in this thread I want to :iagree: with. I'm sick of this attitude as well. It's one of the reasons we're churchless after 15 years.

I guess I'm just frustrated because I get this type of thing every Sunday also in church - to minister in the community...I'm frustrated with it and feel like being "just" a mother will never be enough. We've bought into the feminist lie that motherhood will never be enough - instead of an outside job to prove our worth, it's an outside ministry. Just because you put a nice Christian ring to it doesn't make it more valid.

So yes, it would be ideal to have the father primarily raise their sons. But until the family is valued again in this society, it's just not going to happen. If my husband would get a job that would let him be here more to raise his sons, it would require me to get a job and then my "ministry outside the family" would be lost anyway because I would be working. So, it's a wash.

:grouphug: I'm right there with you, as evidenced in my comments on this thread and the one on the Chat board. We are smacking up against this issue constantly too (and some other ones besides).

Troll or not, I think I'm actually thankful for this thread. It helped me see I'm not alone in my thoughts and gain some clarity on our church situation.

It IS very poorly written!

And really, are those "dangers" not an issue in homes where the children attend school? Children will never be idols because they go to school? The families will clothe the poor and feed the hungry because their children attend school? The children will have more "manly" influences in their lives because they go to school.

There is some very flawed thinking here.

Dawn

PS: Article was written in May of 2010....old "news."

For a pastor, his writing sucks. And he is supremely sexist, besides sounding coo-coo for cocoa puffs neurotic.

:grouphug: I'm right there with you, as evidenced in my comments on this thread and the one on the Chat board. We are smacking up against this issue constantly too (and some other ones besides).

We may be with Peggy soon--churchless.

Troll or not, I think I'm actually thankful for this thread. It helped me see I'm not alone in my thoughts and gain some clarity on our church situation.

Some denominations are trending back to legalism. Personally I think that drives people OUT of the church in droves. I do need to go out and visit one tomorrow but it's really hard to find a church. I don't like big churches - the kids would be way overwhelmed - I'm too liberal in some areas for some denominations, too conservative for others. What I loved about our church - before our last two Pastors had to move on (due to the getting higher education - too high for a smallish church) - was that everyone was loved, accepted and welcomed. They went out of their way to make you feel that way. Now if you don't tow a certain line you are completely ignored. It happened at a very bad time for me. Losing your mother and your grandmother within four months of each other - your husband winding up hospitalized due to cellulitis right after that - tends to make one need some pastoral support - not a lecture on missions.

And that 'She is beautiful' thing had me LOL. My boys are not in the least sissified. My oldest is an apprentice at a woodworking shop and is being mentored by our minister of music. (We get to keep him, regardless of leaving the church). My middle plays golf with The First Tee. DH is much more involved than my Dad was or even his Dad was with the boys.

The OP has only 10 posts. The only reason this was posted was to rile us up. Don't fall for it! This is silly, silly, silly.

Troll.

No I don't think the OP is a troll. From her posting history, I think the OP is a Conservative Christian homeschooler who probably felt concerned at the views expressed by a pastor no less, and wanted opinions of other Classical Conservative Christian homeschoolers. I think the OP was seeking validation for her choice to pursue classical education for her kids. That is my take.

Oh, this is a blog that I've sporadically read on and off again for several years. I find the pastor's writing style to be very difficult and laborious to read. I don't think he is capable of making a concise, succinct point (nor, apparently, most of the other people who occasionally write blog posts for the site.) I'm neither conservative nor Christian, so I'm certainly not in his target audience, but reading it satisfies some sort of curiosity about "the other side" for me. I should note that this church is located in my hometown, and I know several families who are members, thus my interest.

Just within the past year or so they have opened a small school at the church. The school only meets a few days a week and the rest of the studies are done at home, so it's really a homeschooling/Christian school hybrid. Classes are taught by men only, I can only assume to combat the evils of the "Bitch Goddess/Fortress Homeschool."

Ha ha ha....love it!!! Our society is so crazy - if someone disagrees with me, the other person can't take instruction well. PRICELESS!!!!

Yeah, it's never that they are lousy at making their point. If they even have a point. It's like 'I apologize if you found that offensive but...'

It links back to this thread and basically holds us up as an example of the wrong kind of women. :)

Depends upon your definition of woman. :cheers2:

How shallow and petty of them. Guess what? Not everyone in the world is like you, get over it. :w00t:

So, when do we as Christians stop battling each other? Just because you want a good Christian school run by Dads does not mean that you have to degrade homeschoolers. Yes, having educational choice would be great for everyone. Unfortunately, in our town, you go to the public school where 9th graders are required to act out explicitly sexual scenes from their literature book, you pay what is half of your husband's entire take home salary to send your kids to private school (of which there is only one K-8 and is Catholic - not that it's "bad" but not evangelical Christian), or you homeschool. No, it's not the ideal - especially for my sons, but we are making it work with the addition of outside classes and duel enrollment as they reach those later high school years. Christian school is not bad. I wish we had an affordable academically excellent option. We don't. Even when I was thinking pre-school for my very social, very wiggly daughter would be helpful for my sanity, I found there were no Christian pre-schools in our area. So, my little girl who sings to Jesus all the time and loves to act out Bible stories would have to stuff all that for "wheels on the bus" and songs about protecting the earth. Sorry - not going to go there. Homeschooling sometimes becomes the only choice for the large percentage of homeschoolers. So, let's all agree to not demonize people with differing thoughts about how to educate.

Beth

It links back to this thread and basically holds us up as an example of the wrong kind of women. :)

Yes, it does, and MY comment about not taking education advice from someone who randomly capitalizes words is quoted by the first commenter. (Who misspelled "nickel," by the way.) Does this make me the Queen Bitch Goddess? Please say it does! That is a title to which I have always aspired.

Fingers crossed,

Terri

I feel oddly proud to have been, in some small way, a part of this discussion. My dh is finding it all rather hilarious. He says if it were him reading both sides he'd feel rather drawn towards homeschooling. Granted, he is somewhat bias towards homeschooling in this area as is. He thinks that since a man's home is his castle supposedly, than it would make sense that this is a fortress homeschool. He's not too sure the term '*itch goddess' suits me well. I'm kinda a wall flower type of girl. Lol, I thought a view of this from a guy was interesting anyway. And he's a SUPER conservative guy.

I feel oddly proud to have been, in some small way, a part of this discussion. My dh is finding it all rather hilarious. He says if it were him reading both sides he'd feel rather drawn towards homeschooling. Granted, he is somewhat bias towards homeschooling in this area as is. He thinks that since a man's home is his castle supposedly, than it would make sense that this is a fortress homeschool. He's not too sure the term '*itch goddess' suits me well. I'm kinda a wall flower type of girl. Lol, I thought a view of this from a guy was interesting anyway. And he's a SUPER conservative guy.

My super conservative DH thought the original letter was bombastic.

I looked up the term "bitch-goddess success," and it refers to an exclusive pursuit of money with success defined by how much sweet moolah you earn.

My super conservative DH thought the original letter was bombastic.

I looked up the term "bitch-goddess success," and it refers to an exclusive pursuit of money with success defined by how much sweet moolah you earn.

The original blogger using that doesn't even make sense in that context then!! Of all people that I know, the home educating family is the LEAST likely to be pursuing this line of thinking. If anything, most home educators I know are very frugal and thrifty and give up a lot to stay home. Color me officially confused. :confused1:

Yeah, it's never that they are lousy at making their point. If they even have a point. It's like 'I apologize if you found that offensive but...'

People also forget this one salient fact: sometimes people's indignation at something said is JUSTIFIED. Jesus justifiably so got mad and threw out the money changers. He was righteously angry. When someone mischaracterizes a whole group of people, they had better be ready for a reaction from those who DON'T fit their mold to push back.

I'm pretty sure my conservative Christian dh would look at me like I was "cuckoo for cocoa puffs" if I asked his permission first before posting a reply on this forum. :lol: By the way my 9.5 year old ds is extremely masculine and his father is involved in his life on a daily basis. I think the author of the original posting needs to do a bit more research and soul searching before posting such things. I got the feeling he was trying to scare the women from his church into sending their kids to the new school they were creating. Our church just started a school this past fall and no one there is trying to scare members in to sending kids. The whole intent of the school is to give parents another alternative to the local Public Schools. :banghead: I need to go take a couple deep breaths now and do something useful. :ph34r:

. I got the feeling he was trying to scare the women from his church into sending their kids to the new school they were creating. Our church just started a school this past fall and no one there is trying to scare members in to sending kids.

This was my thought as well. I'm wondering if the op is someone who's being made to feel sinful in her choices to continue homeschooling even if her and her husband feel like that's God's direction for their life. There are always times in churches where you just have to agree to disagree and just move on keeping your opinions to yourself.

Beth

Dory- not to pick on you but if you read the article carefully, the term in question is not that YOU or I are a "bg" but that the Idol of SUCCESS is the god that people worship.

I'm not sure why the B word is attached to the "god of success" idol. On that, I Am still confused.

But it's clear that the article is not saying any homeschool mom is a BG, but that she worships that BG which is Success.

Dory- not to pick on you but if you read the article carefully, the term in question is not that YOU or I are a "bg" but that the Idol of SUCCESS is the god that people worship.

I'm not sure why the B word is attached to the "god of success" idol. On that, I Am still confused.

But it's clear that the article is not saying any homeschool mom is a BG, but that she worships that BG which is Success.

I see that. It was a case of spaghetti brain. I started there ad bounced to a dozen different places and where I landed is unfortunately what I wrote here. Lol, oops. I need to remember that people aren't in my thoughts and can't always see how I got from a to b.

I heard a talk once in which the speaker shared his vision of raising up Christians to serve in public office, as judges, and in other positions of influence in order to impact our nation for good. I was inspired to continue my efforts in providing my children with an excellent, rigorous academic education in order that they could potentially be those people about whom the speaker talked. Of course I do not know what God will call my children to do in the future, but I have one child who is especially gifted in leadership, and who may be perfectly suited for public office. Dh and I have a goal to provide our children with the best education we can in order that they may be ready for whatever God calls them to do, including such things as running for public office or going to law school to become a judge.

So now I get accused of worshipping the BG of Success.

I would be willing to guess that the same people who agree with the blogger have also complained about the dearth of Christian leaders in our country. I wonder what they are doing to address that issue? I do not think they are making a positive contribution by criticizing people like us who are trying to give our children a good education in order to make a difference in the world, an education which may involve getting high SAT scores, attending an Ivy League school, and becoming successful.

The blogger is certainly not the first person to advocate this false dilemna. I have often heard from people like the blogger that one can not simulaneously have a goal of providing a rigorous academic education to his children and be a good Christian. Why do these people think there is an either/or decision between academics and Christianity? I truly wish we could squash this silly idea.

Yes, that's true... but that makes even less sense. The term has to do with worldly, financial success... something most homeschooling moms aren't exactly getting in droves.

I think many of us just find the term funny, especially in light of us being the wrong kind of women, apparently, and have taken on the mantle, so to speak. ;)

The children, in turn, fail to learn that the home should be a place of extending the mercy of Jesus Christ to the weak and oppressed. Instead, they are taught that the home is not the place to practice hospitality to strangers, clothe the naked, feed the poor, or wash the feet of the saints.

I didn't know my children before I welcomed them into my womb and my home. They came into the world naked, and I clothed them. They get hungry, and I feed them. I've washed their dirty feet. Jesus washed the feet of His apostles before He sent them out into the world.

Sunny Days-

I *think* what he's saying is that because some moms value education and learning so highly, and spend a lot of time on learning for the sake of the **children** having worldly success (knowledge, STEM, studying the classics)...that (although the moms are sacrificing worldy success) they worship Success because that's what they spend all their time teaching children to do.

Which is completely a straw man. Even if a mother highly values education and spends a lot if time studying and teaching, it doesn't mean she isn't ministering outside the home and also teaching her children to do so. We know the two are not mutually exclusive.

And in my opinion the original poster is most likely a Troll.