Menu

Streaming TV through iPad to TV

happypamama

So my iPad 2 streams TV (using the NBC and ABC apps) very nicely. I want to know if there's a way to make it play through my TV so that we don't have to watch our shows on the little iPad screen. I got a connector cord from amazon; it has the iPad plug on one end, and the other end has a USB plug and three RCA jacks (red, white, and yellow) -- all of those (including the USB) plug into my TV nicely. But I can't seem to make the TV understand that the input is coming from the iPad. Any suggestions on what I need to make this happen?

We do this using Apple TV. It was $99 at Best Buy.

Ah. I looked it up. Okay, maybe I need to get that. Thanks!

Do you have an input button on your tv (or tv remote)? That's what we push to find what we want the tv to recognize.

(I know I didn't explain that well. Sorry!)

Ikwym; we do have an input button, and I tried every setting on it. No dice. I'll see if DH has any suggestions about it, though. Thanks!

If I understand it correctly, you can use the cable/cord to only play things on the TV that have been downloaded to the iPad. The appleTV though, will mirror exactly what is on your iPad screen onto your tv.

I could be wrong, I'm far from a techy gal, but I think that's the difference between that cable and purchasing something such as appleTV.

We have a cord that plugs into the iPad and tv but it doesn't have the place for the other three jacks. We are able to watch stuff from the iPad on the tv fine with that. The tv screen mimics exactly what we see on the iPad, only bigger. I don't know the name of the cord but it's from Apple and wasn't too expensive.

ETA: I looked it up and I'm pretty sure what we have is the digital a/v adapter.

We have a cord that plugs into the iPad and tv but it doesn't have the place for the other three jacks. We are able to watch stuff from the iPad on the tv fine with that. The tv screen mimics exactly what we see on the iPad, only bigger. I don't know the name of the cord but it's from Apple and wasn't too expensive.

ETA: I looked it up and I'm pretty sure what we have is the digital a/v adapter.

Like this? http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Digital-Adapter-iPhone-Touch/dp/B008ZRQNGK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358610235&sr=8-4&keywords=ipad+digital+av+adapter

I have the same cord as you. It can play video straight from youtube and other websites from the ipad to the tv, so the material doesn't have to be downloaded on the ipad to play on the tv.

There is some setting on the ipad you have to turn on. I'll ask my husband later.

If you wouldn't mind asking him, that would be great -- thanks! I'm still not getting it to work.

We have a similar adapter (except ours is hdmi instead of RCA). Some apps just won't stream to the tv--they are programmed to block that feature. I don't know if that is the case with the NBC and ABC apps or not. Have you tried using the ipad to stream something else to the tv? Just a game or other basic app. Then you'll be able to see if the problem is your cord set up or the apps. We also just got an Apple TV and that works fabulously! The NBC app wouldn't stream normally through the Apple TV, we had to use the airplay feature of the Apple TV, but it did work. No adapter thing required! Sometimes the apple site has refurbished Apple TV boxes for $85 with free shipping. I'd check there before getting it at best buy.

Here's the link to the apple store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A